Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Factory (A very short story)
+ Reply to Thread

Factory (A very short story)

My eyes scanned the whole of the factory grounds, end to end and upwards.

“Ah, there you are. I see you now.”

My heart immediately felt the strain. Such a beautiful creature, so inviting. I can see in its eyes that it desires me. Coiled loosely around the tower, its tail dangling…swishing seductively…in a soft cadence. The slight tilt of its head as it sees me approach…the way its eyes watch me intently…the gentle purr from its throat.

I could feel it. It loved me.

Come climb to me,’ the words formed in my mind.

Is that your voice? It’s pretty, like music. I remind myself its deception. ‘I’m sorry this won’t end well for you,’ I warn. I mean every word of it. I take my time. Each rung slowly ascended. Each grip deliberate. Each step followed by a fresh assessment. There will be no escaping. Not tonight. Not for you.

I’m in range. I secure myself. I lean back, my rifle in hand. I can hear it sigh as it moves…not away from me…but closer.

I’m harmless.’ It cautiously edges downwards, stopping a few feet away. Water pools in its eyes. ‘Would you tell me you don’t love me?’

Why must you sound like that…like a woman? And look like one…so completely? So perfectly. ‘You’re not natural.’ The response comes from my sub conscious, before I can temper the words.

Neither are you.’ A single step is ventured closer. It stops to make sure this is alright.

My finger tenses on the trigger. I can hear it breath. Its tail moves to encircle the steel railing. A full…soft tail. Like human squirrels, I always thought. But they were nothing like squirrels. Nothing at all. Its pink lips part slightly, crossed over by a very normal tongue. She offers a guarded smile. ‘IT’…I scream at myself. ‘’IT’ not ‘she’.”

Pale blue eyes avert my gaze, lips puckering to a pout. ‘You don’t love me.’

What does it matter whether I do or not. I have a job to do.’ It’s getting harder to say that. Harder each time.

Thankfully, she’s the last. ‘Pull the trigger,’ I tell myself. A second passes. Another.

She moves a half inch closer. ‘I don’t want to hurt you. I just want to love you.’

Dangerous…it’s dangerous…remember…come on Joe, remember.’ I tighten my grip on the gun. ‘Don’t come any closer.’

‘I won’t.' It looks me over. It assesses me. Its eyes return slowly to mine. “But I’d like to.”

Oh what, you’re going to speak to me now? A small laugh escapes my lips. “You should have gone home when you had the chance.” I look past my gun at her face. Blushed cheeks, pale skin, a lush mane of heather hair. It was cute the way it matched her tail. She smiles at me. ‘Come on Joe, guard your thoughts.’

“How could we leave you?” She purrs. I love her. I love that sweet sweet sound. I close my eyes a second. Just a second. To hear it…to listen…so soothing. “How could we leave who we love?” she asks. Passion burns in each word.

“Your love is poison to us.” My head shakes. It’s sad. Why can’t you understand it?

Her tail uncoils from the rail and wraps around her feet. ‘No don’t, don’t make yourself so vulnerable’. She crouches down. She’s way too close. The seconds tick off my life.

“Get back!” I beg her. “Please.” She quickly withdraws an inch. Oh God. Tears. The poor poor girl. I know she doesn’t mean it. If only they could have learned to stay away…if only we could have learned to let them. It took too long to realize our fate. By then, we loved them so.

‘I’m afraid to be alone.’

‘I know…I know you are.’ God if she didn’t kill so fast, I would take her in my arms if I could. I try to think how many minutes I could hold her for each year of my life. About a thousand…it never sounds that bad.

And that’s why I pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Kritter; 07-20-2010 at 01:46 AM.