Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Comments on Idea for my Next Story
+ Reply to Thread

6 Comments on Idea for my Next Story

Friends,

I wasted a prime writing day today because I haven't quite figured out what happens in "Kin"—but don't despair, "Kin" is definitely alive and kicking...

The next chapter is just a bit over term.

Anyway,

Have y'all heard about the kidnapping of the 240 little Christian Girls in Nigeria by the Islamic extremists "Boko Haram"?

Did anyone read "Soldier of Fortune" back in the 70s or 80s and dream of being a Mercenary in Africa?

Yes, I'll admit that I did—which probably qualifies me as a chucklehead—at least back then.

The heyday of White Mercenaries in Africa has largely come and gone.

However, lets imagine a near future—about 15 years from now. No real SF stuff—just allowing the Soi Disant politikal environment to evolve a little.

Legal Guns are tightly—unbelievably—restricted in Nigeria. However, even now the villages are arming—in defiance of the law—and duking it out with Boko Haram.

Imagine:

There is so much extremist violence that Nigeria (like the US Army lately) decides to license Armed Security Forces—corporations for profit, but authorized to arm their men.

Let us further suppose that the government decides that these forces cannot have Automatic or even Semi-Automatic Rifles or Shotguns and no High Capacity Double Column Pistols.

Hero was raised as a very doctrinaire believer in Jeff Cooper's writings. He believes that Bolt Action Rifles possess some significant advantages over semi autos.

He's just an ordinary dude but his father had him studying Jeff Cooper's writings and the arts of war from early childhood.

A visiting friend, who has become a Missionary in Nigeria, shares his frustration that even when armed guards become available soon, they will have weapons inferior to the terrorists they're supposed to guard against.

Hero goes into a rant about so-called experts who've never read, understood and accepted Jeff Cooper's teachings.

So far as he's concerned, they're all a bunch of Blithering Idiots.

His friend remembers what he said and passes it along. The denomination decides that they have enough schools, churches and orphanages in Nigeria, that it makes sense to start their own Security Company to protect their interests...

And our 26 year old opinionated Hero with very few people skills ends up heading a Nigerian Security Company and trying to teach Nigerians the Modern Technique of The Pistol and how to shoot a Bolt Action Rifle like a True Rifleman.

{And people in several governments want the Private Security Companies to succeed and they want the extremist's swords considerably blunted at the very least...

So our Hero—who has no high level connections and no real advanced training—nonetheless finds the skids greased considerably at many steps along the way.}

I'm trying to recapture some of the fun and spirit of "Soldier of Fortune" articles like the three part "Rebel in Rhodesia" about a young American Idealist who served in the Rhodesian Army.

Along with plenty of references to Jeff Cooper and my own over the top style.

Comments Anyone?

.....RVM45

Well, I for one find the plot intriguing....very current both with happenings in society and politically. Do like the Soldier of Fortune bent you mention; and as a Johnny-come-lately Cooperite, I'd sure like to read it!
    All that is gold does not glitter....

Interesting enough concept.

Run with it, see where it goes.

That sounds like a good one! I remember long ago, reading SOF articles, and thinking the Selous Scouts were the shit.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

The Ruger Scout with the mag would be a good rifle or the Mossberg MVP series

Yeah. I've got more than 2/3rds of the next chapter of "Kin" ready—but things keep nibbling at my writing time.

I was thinking that someone like Norinco might be willing to turn out a Bolt Action largely to order for someone ordering several hundred at one time.

In Africa, I would go with a 7.62x39. Loaded for a bolt action, they can have quite a bit more Zip-Ity-OO-Dah and in a shortage, ordinary ammo could be used.

Ten shot detachable magazines—though like the Enfield, not really meant for fast reloads in the field...

But capable of using an AK magazine if the original is broke and nothing better is at hand.

The Ruger is good—but Cooper's Scout Rifle is supposed to be Light—about 6.5 pounds scoped but unloaded.

......RVM45