Evie debated if she should say what was on her mind. Pete had his head turned toward the wall, pain lines around his mouth. Fat chance she'd get through to him, in his condition. I can wait, she thought. I can wait.

Will was setting at his desk, furiously writing. One hand propping his head, elbow on the stack of papers. Absorbed in his task, he didn't look up when Evie came through the door. Suddenly tired, she sat with Benny. Bone weary was more like it. The highs and lows of the day's emotional toll was hard on an old lady. Evie was sitting there almost feeling sorry for herself, when Benny's stomach gave a loud growl. He giggled as his hands covered his midsection.

"Oh Benny," Evie apologised. "I need to get us home for lunch. Janey will be so hungry."

"It's closer to supper," Will replied as he signed another paper. "Time got away from us."

"Supper," Evie gasped."We have to go right now. I totally forgot about the time. Everybody at home will be so hungry." Benny's stomach growled louder. This time he laughed.

Will stood up, grabbed his hat and said, "Let's go. I've got to make a couple of stops, then I'll drive you home." Evie stood up, jostling Jane and causing the child to fuss unhappily. Evie started to protest, to tell Will they would hot foot it home and be there in no time flat.

Will held his hand up, "Things are different Evie, remember when I said that? This is one of the differences; you will deal with it because you have too." he finished. "You are the one this whole situtation hinges on. You need to cooperate for the sake of the children. Some of the things will not be what you want, but they won't compromise your morals," he chided.

Regardless of her misgivings, Evie, Benny and Jane were soon seated in the local diner. Big bowls of thick stew before them. Benny dug in in a flurry of hungry smiles. Jane obediently ate what Evie shoved in. Evie couldn't eat. The stew was so lush and thick, but Hap wasn't here to share.

"Eat," Will ordered, correctly guessing the problem. Evie picked up the spoon and obeyed.

The ride home was done in silence. The children soon fell asleep. Evie slumped tiredly, staring aimlessly out the window. The waining daylight bathing the end of the day with that particular blue/grey softness that heralds night. As the sheriff's car approached home, Evie could see that Hap and the kids had done a lot of garden spading. The freshly turned earth smelling like the promise of spring.

As the car stopped, kids spilled out the door anxious to know about their sister. Hap ambled out opening the door for Evie, helping her balance as she carried sleeping Jane inside.

"Hey," Will yelled, interupting the celebration. "I need a hand here." he gave each child a box to carry inside. Small hands carressed the boxes and cans of food they deposited on the counters. A feast, a bounty for tomorrow and the next day. Will bent down and picked up Zander. Throwing the youngster in the air, he caught him and tossed him again. Zander yelled with glee, excited for the play.

Benny came back out the door in time to see Inky streaking toward the sheriff; ready to tear apart the man that was hurting his child.