Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Oh for Pete's Sake!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Oh for Pete's Sake!

Oh For Pete's Sake, is a story I'm writing.
    Characters;

Evangaline Anastasia Porter Hanson ...called Evie
    Lars Harold Hanson...called Hap
    their daughter; Inga
    their son; Peter

Neighbors; Sue Apperton {husband Ben is gone]
    Children;
    Ben 10
    Clora 8
    Sandra 6
    Zander 4
    Jane 2

Economic depression has claimed the United States, and retired Evie and Hap are struggling to keep them selves alive.

Evie shoved the #12 Griswold roughly against the top of the fireplace insert. The large skillet hanging over the narrow shelf that was her cooking surface. Beads of sweat tickeled at her temple, and the heat from the insert made an already miserable day, feel more uncomfortable.

"How am I going to feed five children?' she whispered softly, no one was there to listen. or comment. It was her despair talking, panic at their situtation.

Hap, had the children lined up on the back porch. They were washing up,
    getting ready for lunch. The children were like baby ghosts. They made no sound, each working with each other to make certain they were as clean as they needed to be.

Hap shook his head slightly. Looking at the thin, hunched over neighbor children, he couldn't help but compare them to Inga and Peter. Evie had raised their children to be happy, healthy. A boisterous confident son and daughter. So different from the youngsters walking to the table.

Evie added the last dab of butter and a lump of bacon fat to the warmed skillet. It went skittering across the pan, a slight sizzling sound in the worn down day. When the grease was well melted, she threw a handful of flour in the pan and stirred rapidly. Adding cups of double, watery reconstituted milk, she stirred the gravy.

Gravy over re-heated rice. The rice was ready; it was starting to stick, and she moved it to the far edge of the cooktop.

"Com'on everyone," she called, and nearly stepped on the littlest child, Jane, as she turned around to see where every one was at.

It reminded her of the chapter in Oliver Twist where the children lined up with their bowls. But, this wasn't a story. It was real.

Grabbing a slotted spoon, she dished out a spoonful of rice and topped it with a dipper of thickened brown gravy. Jane's dish wobbled a bit, but Clora was right there to steady the old aluminum pie plate. Evie gave each child as much as she thought they might eat.

Admonishing them softly, she said, "You may have more.' but her heart was heavy. There would not be much for seconds.
    She added a double scoop of rice and gravy to Hap's plate, and a smaller spoonful to her own plate.

In a small bowl, she scraped the last of the rice and gravy from the pans. Her spatula had been so busy, there wasn't any gravy residue to color the cup of warmed water she put in the pan to clean the lunch.

I have an unusual writing style, as I am the only hired hand on this ranch; I sometimes offer short, choppy chapters.
    I write as I have the time, and do finish the stories I start.

I encourage and enjoy comments, the good the bad and the exasperated! Probably the best way is to just add comments to the story as it goes along. Thanks, Pac.

#2 Evie and Hap had long ago given up talking at mealtimes. The children were scared. No one volunteered a word, but they answered a whispered reply if asked a question. A yes or a no, and the oldest two were done talking.

Evie and Hap had talked about what the kids might have endured, to create such fearsome demeanors. But it was all guesswork on their part. Hap and Evie's own kids were grown; they felt at a terrible disadvantage trying to deal with modern children. But left overs warmed on the stove and the last of the cookies helped settle the kids into the spare bedroom for the night.

Pete and Inga had both taken the bedroom sets from their rooms when they married and moved away; so Evie and Hap rolled out what blankets they had and everyone went to sleep. Evie heard the children crying during the night, but when she got up and went down the hall, the roon was quiet and still when she peeked in.

Sue Apperton had knocked on the back door two months ago. "my kids are starving to death,' she announced as she pushed the 5 waifs into the kitchen. "I can't feed them no more. I gotta go find work; I'll be back." And she was gone, before Hap and Evie barely made it from the living room to the kitchen to answer the door.

As it was, the two retired oldsters stood looking at the frightened, crying children; taken aback at the boldness and roughness the woman displayed. They had been watching TV, sort of napping on the sly, and had loose ends trying to come together to make sense of it all. The children stood just inside the door, each clutching a paper sack with some belongings. The oldest two were stoic, but the younger kids were silently crying. Evie felt her heart lurch, just thinking back on the night it all happened.

Sue was the next door neighbor of sorts. Evie knew there was a husband at one time; but he hadn't been around for a while. The woman came and went at all times, and Evie was startled to find out there were five of the children. She had only seen the oldest two, and had not realized there were three more.

Two months had gone by, since that startling night. Two more months of misery for the children; two more months of almost panic for Hap and Evie. The food stores were slowly dwindling. There was no money, no food available to buy if they would have had money. The paper was worthless as a value.

I like your writing style.....and enjoyed the first 2 chapters. I am looking forward to reading more. Thanks.....hummer

I like it!!!! I will be looking forward to more chapters, when you have time.

Carly
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, People will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -- Maya Angelou

Very good start, and I'll look forward to more of this story.

#3 Evie sat at the kitchen table, staring at a messy, written list. It was her grocery list; one that would not be filled any time soon. She needed everything, had enough for maybe 3 meals. Lost in heavy thought, she missed the quick tug on her sweater sleeve. There was a more insistent tug, enough force to wake her mind wanderings.

Four year old Zander stood waiting. Evie slowly slid her arm around his shoulders, so as not to startle him. The thin dark eyed, dark haired child seldom allowed contact with her or Hap. This moment was a treasure. Evie felt tears start to sting, but she took a deep breath and said "hi Zander," very softly.

Zander stood quietly, his expressive eyes roving over Evie's wrinkled, care worn face. Very slowly, he reached for her hand and pulled slightly. "You come," he said with a rusty, raspy request.

Evie drew in a startled breath. For two months, Zander had never spoken a word. She and Hap had decided perhaps he had a medical reason for not speaking, and had just enjoyed the serious youngster as he was.

Zander tugged again, urging the woman to get to her feet. Evie followed him outside. It became obvious they were headed to his mother's house. The house was stale smelling to Evie. Dirty floors, crusted dishes still in the sink, a neglected house devoid of people.
    They had been back in the place several times, gathering up the few belongings the children had. It didn't take many trips to bring the total of their clothes and shoes. There were no toys, nothing Evie could find that the kids could play with. So strange, she reported later to Hap. It was like the children didn't have a chapter in their parent's life.

Zander took her upstairs in the empty house. Pointing, the child wanted help moving the old, stained mattress. The smell was overpowering, causing Evie to gag slightly. Coughing to cover her reflex, Evie tried to move the mattress with her foot. She really didn't want to put a hand on that filthy bed. However, it took both hands to help Zander pull the mattress to the side. Evie wiped her hands on her rumpled denim skirt. Swallowing hard, she waited on the child that watched her intently.

The youngster went to a board that had been centered under the bedding. He picked up the board, and pointed to the small lumps Evie could see lined up in a row. Waving with his hand, Zander indicated she was to pick up the small paper sacks.

Evie read the small black lettering; Corn meal, oatmeal, flour, beans, lentils.

"Oh Zander, are you sure?" Evie knew in an instant that this was the fall back line. The food the children had hidden out of desparation and hunger. He was offering it to the strangers next door. Evie sniffed, tears gathering in her eyes. "The other's, they agree?" she questioned.

Zander nodded, reaching down he handed her a package. Then another, until Evie had to use her apron to hold the dusty paper sacks.

"Thank you Zander, will you help me take them to our house, help me to cook supper?" Evie urged the boy to speak in a non threatening way.
    Zander shook his head yes, and then no, but used no voice to get his point across.

Evie gathered up the corners of her apron and used her free hand to guide herself down the narrow stairs to the main floor. She knew there was nothing in the cupboards or drawers in the kitchen, she had already checked. As Evie reached for the doorknob, Zander stopped her progress. He silently opened the door and stuck his head out and looked both ways. Heavens, Evie held herself in check, that child is only four years old and he has more common sense than I do.

The coast was clear, and the two of them scampered across the yards and into the Hanson home. Evie opened the kitchen door and was confronted by a line of children standing tightly together with their arms folded, unhappy expressions on their faces.

Damn!! I feel like I'm gonna cry!! To see my children and grandchildren go hungry or starve to death is my worst fear. That is why I do what I do. Wonderful start of a good story.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you for the feed back. It helps to know if the direction of the story is going to appeal.
    This is for those that have put 'some' back, but then are faced with additional mouths to feed.
    Seniors have knowledge; and most have 'put by' food. But we are really getting hammered with
    costs of everything. Pac.

I am really injoying your story, pulls at the heart strings it does. Please keep it going.

Benny and Clora spoke at once; "Zander, you put that back, right now!" Zander shook his head no, but continued to look straight on at his brother and sisters.

"I mean it Zander, you had no right," Benny vibrated with anger, his hands clenched into fists. "That is ours," he shouted, as close as a ten year old boy allows himself to tears. A clear challange to Evie, he considered her a thief and robber.

"It is yours," Evie spoke sadly. "You may take it back, but you need to know, we have maybe enough food for three more meals." She handed two of the sacks to Clora, as she was speaking. "All of you have sat here in anger, pretending to not speak, waiting for your mother to return. We have shared food with you all, asking nothing in return. Hap and I were hoping you would pitch in and help." Evie handed two sacks to Benny; two went to Sandra and one to Jane.

"Zander showed me the food," she paused to make a point, "because he could see our pantry is empty." Walking to the cuboard, Evie opened the door. A box of salt, and half a plastic sack of rice and one of beans lay starkly alone among the empty shelves.

"How do you think Hap and I are going to feed you?" she questioned gently, but firmly. This was the make or break moment. "We need you children to pitch in and help. Hap can't possibly start the garden and make it big enough to feed us, without your help. None of you have ever responded, or answered, when we asked you to do simple chores, but," and there was a long pause as Evie gathered the last small sack of beans from her apron and set it on the table. "It has to change. The only way we can survive is to work together."

"I need to start lunch, and I want you to talk about this." she emphasised with determination. "Either you start helping and share what you have, or we all go hungry."

Ben had the most muleish look on his face, and Clora pursed her lips into a thin line. None to gently she pushed Zander, Sandra and Jane ahead of her, towards the living room. None of the children willing to part with the precious store of food held in their hands.

As she started the water heating for the rice, Evie listened to the hushed mutterings coming from the other room. The fireplace insert needed more wood, and she stepped out the door to take a few chunks from the woodpile. It was the beginning of a fine, early spring day.

Hap was digging the garden. He had started 3 days ago, and worked as much and as long as he could. Without his heart medicine, the angina pain was severe enough to limit what he could accomplish.

Evie looked at the man she married so long ago. He slowly and steadily punched the shovel in the ground, tipped it back to break the cohesiveness of the dirt and sod, picked it up and tipped it back into the hole. Quick jabbing movements cut the root bound dirt and web of grass roots into smaller chunks.

As if he could feel her eyes on him, Hap turned around. Making a drinking motion with his hand, he asked for water. Evie nodded and went to the sink for a glassful.

One of the children was crying in the living room, but she ignored the sobbing and walked out to join Hap.

Greatfully, he took the glass and drained it in one long swallow. "What did you find in the house," he asked, having seen Zander pull Evie through the yards.

"Some food," Evie replied. "The kids are having a war council right now. I'm afraid I had to lay down the law about helping, instead of being guests. It just kills me to see you work against such pain," her hand fluttered in the direction of Hap's chest.

"Oh, you know I'll be ok, " he chided. "I'm a tough old bird." he finished, as he used the worn out red bandana to wipe the sweat from his face.

"Humph," Evie snorted inelegently, reaching for the glass that was in danger of falling from his hand. "You got the old bird part correct," she finished with a smile to take the sting from her words.

"I thought we had decided not to ask the kids to work, until they got a little healthier," Hap returned the bandana to his pocket. His slow measured movements telling Evie better than words that he had angina in a bad way.

"Come sit a bit," Evie coaxed. I need to rest while I tell you what happened."

Slowly, she related to Hap, all that had taken place that morning. The morning quiet was broken by the sound of running feet and the slam of the kitchen door, as Benny went running from their house to his.

" Humm, doesn't sound like things are going smoothly inside," Evie observed softly. "Ben was pretty worked up there."

The slam of the Apperton door reinforced the young man's anger. "Humph," Evie said once again; "I hope he doesn't break the glass."

At that moment, the sound of gun fire could be heard in the distance. Without a word, Hap and Evie got up and hustled into the house, ready to take the kids to the basement if the shots continued.

Evie's mind was going a mile a minute. One couldn't be too careful when hearing gunshots. It might be someone hunting, or it might be trouble. She bustled into the living room, giving orders to Clora as she came. "Be aware," Evie admonished the child. "Keep close track of your brother and sisters, and be ready to head to the basement when I give the word."

Clora looked like she wanted to argue, but another set of gunshots sounded; seemingly closer, had her reluctantly agreeing. "Better head there now," Evie ordered. "I've got to see to the fire." Wonder of wonders, the child obeyed. Slowly she gathered her siblings and the went to the basement.

Thankfully, the fire had gone completely out while Evie and Hap had their talk in the garden, so there was no telltale smoke from the chimney. Evie added a cup of rice to the pot of luke warm water. Hopefully there was enough heat to soften the rice, if they had to be fireless for several hours. Something to chew, is better than being hungry, Evie said to herself. She knew the children disliked rice, but there again, there was no choice. The larder was almost empty; down to a rock and a hard spot place.

Evie had prayed and prayed hard; asking God for a way to feed the children. When Zander had led her to the hidden food, she had said a prayer of thanks. Her unshakeable faith rewarded. But now, well things were going to have to sort themselves out in a hurry.

Clora had the kids wrapped in blankets sitting on the floor, it was chilly in the below ground cellar. Evie placed the rice pot on a small table, away from the children. Jane leaned against Sandra and closed her eyes. Clora propped Zander against them on the other side, and his eyes closed as well. The coolish darkness jnvited them to sleep, and they did. It was a bonus relief to Clora and Evie.

Upstairs, Evie sent Clora next door to get Benny. "He's got to come, the shots are getting closer, and he needs to be safe." There was no argueing with Evie's tone of voice. "Tell him NOW, and we can sort the rest of this out later." Clora nodded, and slipped out the kitchen door for their place.

Evie gathered up the last of the rice and beans. Using a screwdriver, she pried open the kickboard under the sink cabinet, and shoved the food inside and replaced the board in an instant. Hap appeared in the doorway, holding his chest. Evie took one look at him and pointed to the basement. As rascable as he could be, this time Hap didn't fight her. She grabbed the afgan from the couch arm and sent him downward. "Go and sit," she ordered.

More shots could be heard, closer than ever. Evie's heart sank. Where were the oldest two. That Ben! Evie decided if she ever got her hands on him again, she was gonna give that kid a lickin for his disobedience.

Scared, she reached for the door, just as it opened and the two children tumbled in. "There's some guy in a car shootin at things," Benny gasped. "He's a'comin this way."

heart breaking stuff, love the start need more

Thank you so much for the new chapters.

PacNorWest,

Another great start to a story.

Please keep it going.

Buckshot

You're certainly got my attention. Please post more when you can!

I'm one who is putting stuff by for our family - there are eight grandchildren so far, so this hits home.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Evie carefully looked around the empty house. As per the plan, she drew on Hap's old sweater, mussed her hair more and sat with the half bowl of rice she had put aside. For all intents and purposes, she was an old crone down to her last meal. Not a lucrative target, with uncooked mushy rice. Nothing to find here, move on please.
    The shooting drew closer. Evie steeled herself, trying to rally her frazzled nerves. She could hear the car tires barking as they entered the roundabout near the end of their driveway; then the spray of gravel against the low board fence lining the drive. Bowing her head, she was praying hard as the racing engine came to an abrupt stop.

Butterflies in her stomach, almost sick, she waited for the trouble she knew was coming.

"Mom, Mom! come help. Betty has a hurt foot, the kids are scared silly, where's Dad?" Peter Hanson screamed at his mother, raising the dear old lady up out of her chair a foot.

Astonished that her son was the trouble she anticipated, Evie stared at the appritation that was the son they hadn't seen for six years.

Now, now! "Why now?" she blurted out, not all that happy to see her firstborn and his family.

"Mom," he roared, "Help us, there's a car of punks after us."

Peter dropped to his knee behind the car front wheel, leveling his rifle across the hood. The rifle shot broke the windshield of the fast approaching pickup. The green Chevy braked hard, fishtailing across the center of the round-a-bout, to speed off in the direction it had come from.

Peter dropped his head, rubbing his forehead on his arm. A deep breath, and he ordered his family out of the car. "In the house," he roughly ordered. "Now, move it!"

Evie watched from the doorway as her two grandchildren; ten year old Brett and twelve year old Patty slowly opened the car door closest to the house. Eyes darting back and forth, they scurried like mice past her and into the kitchen. Betty was crying, huge sobs that verged on the hysterical, as she opened the car door and practically fell out in the yard. "My foot, my foot, " she cried pitiously.
    "Oh, I can't walk, help me; it hurts so much," she reached her arm up towards Peter, "I have to have help, I can't do this," she moaned.

Evie watched her drama queen daughter in law, with no emotion. Raising her eyes toward Peter, Evie patiently waited for Peter to make the first move. "Gather it up," he roughly pulled his wife upright, and slung her forward over his arm. Half pulling Betty, half her hopping on the good foot, she made it to the kitchen chair and flopped in like a fish out of water.

"Oh, food," Betty eyed the bowl and spoon with a shark like hunger, forgetting her predicament. Her interest in the food overshadowing her intensely painful foot for the moment.

"It's not worth eating," Patty informed her mother. "I looked!" The almost teen aged drama princess stuck her tongue out in a 'yuccy face', flaring her nostrils in a total imitation of her mother.

"Oh," Betty looked hopefully at Evie. "Get me something to eat, I'm hungry." The woman acting like Evie should be up and moving that very moment.

"Can it," Peter snarled at his wife. "Kids, help me get the stuff from the car." he poked his head back out the kitchen door and looked carefully around. He opened the door fully and motioned his kids to get a move on.

On her way towards the door, Evie reached over and scooted the bowl of half cooked rice to Betty. "Wipe the spoon," she said quietly.

Ooooh, this should be interesting! The drama queens need to learn to deal with the reality of the time, but at least it sounds like Peter is "getting it".

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

and my portion forever.

just wanted to say, i love the story. thanks

There was a distinct sniff, as Betty announced her displeasure. Evie sighed. This wasn't going to be a 'happy time,' for any of them. Peter, well Peter was a mess. Evie looked at his long unkept hair and straggly beard. She wouldn't have recognized him, had he passed her on the street. Formerly the neatnick of her two children, Peter was very different now. The economic disaster must have hit him hard. Not that it would have made a difference to Betty and Patty, Evie supposed. Those two, wait till Hap finds out what's going on.

Evie swallowed hard. She needed Hap's help, he helped her to strengthen her backbone when dealing with Peter's family. How any son of their's could have married such a ditzy woman, was beyond comprehension.

Evie went to the basement door and tapped out a code. Almost immediately it opened and Hap came up, blinking owlishly at the light.
    A slight intake of breath was the only indication he recognized his daughter in law. A swift look at Evie, and a resigned expression as his wife shrugged her shoulders to let him know it would be a doozy.

Betty was tapping the spoon on the bowl rim, idly taking a stir now and then. Just messing with the food. Evie turned to stare at her, the annoyance she felt building, until three things happened at once.

Betty tapped the spoon just a second to strong and the bowl broke, spilling rice and water all over the table and dripping into her lap. In reaction, Betty pushed against the table and the chair tipped; dumping her on the floor. The two grandchildren came stomping in the kitchen, barely making it inside before dropping their armsfull, complaining bitterly about Dad being so unreasonable and HE wasn't even doing any of the work.

At the same second, all of the Apperton children came trooping upstairs to see what the noise and confusion was about. Benny hoping to cut and run in the general bewilderment, pushing his reluctant sisters ahead of him for protection.

There was a total moment of complete silence. Children eyed each other with suspicion, Peter burst into the silence with an armload that he dumped on the floor with a noisy clatter, and Betty found her voice and wailed at the top of her lungs.

Evie grabbed Benny's arm as he tried to slink past her, unnoticed. "Sit' she commanded, giving him a building look of anger. Benny, as a clue to his good sense, slumped against the kitchen wall and sat on the floor. All the Apperton piled next to their older brother, not making a sound.

"Shut up!" Evie barked at the neurotic hysterics Betty was producing, shocking the woman into silence. Peter took one hard look at his wife, grabbed up the rifle and said; "I've got to take the car and ditch it. Those goons want it back, and I think they will move on, once they find it. I'll be back,....sometime." Out the door he went and the car spun out as he gunned it for the highway.

"Mom," Patty whined, "who are those kids. They don't look nice." On the floor with her back to the Apperton kids, Betty made a great show of twistering herself around to stare at the bedraggled group, huddled together.

"Oh my," she announced. "They can't stay here with my children. Oh no, not in the least. Shoo children, get going," she fluttered her hands in the direction of the door. "What little criminals," Betty shuddered oh so delicately.

"Sit," Evie snapped once again at the Apperton children, as they rose in a group, looking to run like cornered, feral cats.

"You, and you and you," Evie ordered her grandchildren and their mother, pointing to chairs, 'sit and be quiet."

"Nobody is leaving," Evie spoke with barely calmed fury, "unless it is you," as she mopped at the water and rice with a cloth.

"Mom, are you gonna let Grandmother speak to us that way," Patty pouted, her huge blue eyes filling with outraged tears. "This is humiliating. I knew we shouldn't have let father bring us to this place." Place was announced with as much disgust as a twelve year old could muster.

Evie was just getting ready to retort, when Hap slumped against the table and fell over.

"Oh dear Lord," Evie breathed a rapid prayer. She knew Hap was not feeling well, and now the stress had overcome him. Racing to the sink, she grabbed the small bottle of asprin from the shelf above the dish drainer. Wrenching the cap off, she shook two of the powdery white pills into her hand. Rolling Hap over on his back, she opened his mouth and placed an asprin under each side of his tongue.

"Bring me the other couch blanket," she requested of Benny, sending him scurrying for the item. Watching Hap closely, Evie prayed for his recovery. Zander and Jane came to kneel at her side, small hands patting her arm. Slowly, Clora came closer as Benny returned with the blanket. Together they covered Hap, tucking the ends around him snugly.

Evie prayed for the asprin to be effective. Hap had long ago run out of nitroglycern, the prefered treatment; and they had been using the only medicine they had. Asprin was indicated for heart attack and or stroke, with newer treatments becoming available all the time. Slowly the pain pinched look eased from Hap's face, and his breathing slowed, from the rapid pants he had been using.

Evie kept her hand on his chest, measuring the rise and fall of his lungs. Grasping Benny's and Clora's hands, she prayed aloud; thanking God for sparing Hap's life. Little Jane dropped down to crawl under the clasped hands, and plopped herself in Evie's lap.
    Sandra and Zander came to stand behind her, resting small hands on the old woman's bowed shoulders. Tears spilled from Evie's eyes, the emotion of the moment strong and comforting.

"OH MY GOD, he's dead," Betty let out a long drawn out shriek; the scream vibrating the huddled group gathered around Hap.
    Evie looked up, too astonished to say anything.

"Ewww, he's dead," Patty screeched at the top of her lungs, not to be out done by her mother and the riveted attention she was getting.
    Patty joined her mother on the floor, wailing at the top of her lungs.

Brett scooted himself further and further away from the comotion, as if he could pretend none of it were real. He didn't make a sound, but kept his eyes glued on Hap's resting figure. Evie started laughing. She figured if Hap so much as moved one muscle, that boy would levitate himself through the roof.

"Thank you for praying," she told the Apperton children. "I think he's going to be ok."

Betty abruptly closed her mouth and the screaming screeching shut off. Patty drew another breath, but a shake of her mother's head stopped the drama. "Well," Betty huffed, "Just what happened here!" she demanded.

Evie looked over at the daughter in law she had no feelings for, and gathered up a lungfull of fire breathing dragon reply, only to have Zander shake her arm and point to the door. The doorknob was slowly rotating toward open.

thanks for the new pages

Oh nice thank you.

Holding her finger to her lips to hush any sound, Evie was up from the floor, spun around to the counter, and grabbed the long handled meat fork, and the sturdy wooden cabbage stomper. Slowly she reached the wall as the door was being pushed open.

Hardly breathing, Evie was poised to strike at the unknown person entering her kitchen without knocking. A no good low life, she was sure. Squinting between the door jamb and the crack, her eye traveled down until she could see a dark shadow trying to crawl into the kitchen. Wider and wider the door opened, the bulk of a person wiggling silently into the house. That the intruder was headed straight for Hap, strengthened Evie's resolve.

The top of a head started to move silently into the kitchen. Evie used all her strength to shove the door closed on the head's shoulders. and pushed the sharp tines of the meat fork into the back of the strangers neck.

"Stop," she commanded. "Don't move." The stranger fell without a sound on the floor.

"Daddy", screamed Patty. "You killed my Daddy."
    Last edited by PacNorWest; 10-16-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: forgot a paragraph

Poor Evie, she just can't catch a break on this tragic afternoon.

"You horrible old woman", Betty shook her fist at Evie; the screech sounding like fingernails on a blackboard. "You killed your own son," she sobbed loudly. "How could you, you murderer!"

Patty threw herself on her father, the action pushing the air out of his lungs with a woosh. Evie could see Pete's fist pounding against the floor, as he struggled for air.

"Get up Patty," Evie admonished her granddaughter. "Pete's not dead, your squishing the breath out of him."

"Huh," Patty rolled over, hitting her mother in her injured foot. "Are you sure?" she poked at her father, eliciting a muffled curse word. Meantime, Betty had a fresh wound to bemoan, and did so with enthusiam.

Evie looked over at Hap, who was stirring slightly; the Apperton children working like a swarm of bees , trying to keep him covered up.
    Swiftly she went to his side, and helped him sit up. The only thing she could do was take Hap in the living room to the sofa, so he was away from all the excitement in the kitchen. "Benny, Clora, help me please. Let's get Hap to the couch." All the Apperton kids helped move the old man they thought of as Grandpa, and he was soon almost smothered with kid help and kindness. The wild acting children completely reversing their behavior and standoffishness to worry about the people who cared for them.

Evie went back to the kitchen. "For heaven's sake, Patty, Betty, get out of Pete's way. He cant get in with you blocking the door," shaking her head at their helplessness, she opened the door a bit wider, and discovered why Pete was crawling. He had been shot in the leg. Evie closed her eyes for a brief moment, and swallowed hard. Her own heart was racing, and she felt a bit weak in the knees.

As Betty and Patty carried on about Pete lying on the floor, Evie drew water in two large pots and went to start the fireplace. The ashes were still warm, and a couple of wadded up papers and some of her precious cedar kindling, started a fine blaze. With the water on to heat, she poked a toe at the two wailing women on the floor. "Get up!" she commanded. "We have to help Pete, and I want you three to help me."

"Whatever," Patty delivered her agreement with one of those tone of voice smart alec comebacks. "Look at Dad's neck, you almost knifed him in the back with that pointy thing." seeing Evie wince, as she elaborated dramatically. "A fine mother you are, attacking your own son."

Evie couldn't help herself as she sent a resounding smack across Patty's face. Drawn up as tight as a fiddle string, she snapped and put a stop to the mouthy distribe spewing from her granddaughter's lips.

Evie hadn't ment to slap Patty quite as hard as she did; but it accomplished what she needed it to do. Patty shut up instantly, her hands protectively covering her face. "Ooowww," she cried. "You hit me." "Mother," she sobbed with a heartbroken wail.

Betty looked up from the floor, she had been pulling herself over to the chair, trying to get up. "Don't you touch my children," she enunciated slowly with considerable venom; her eyes burning holes into Evie. "Nobody hits my kids."

"No, you listen here," Evie broke in. "This foolishness is going to stop right now. I have put up with your attitude as long as I am going too. You have no rights here. You.. are.. not.. in..charge." Evie shook her finger at Betty to make her point clear. "From now on, it's my way or the highway."

Evie leaned back against the counter, holding on for dear life. She had no idea where all that force had come from. Betty, Patty and Brett were staring at her with their mouth's open.

"I hate to break into this, but could I get a little help?" Pete's voice was weak and thready sounding. "I feel....." and his head hit the floor.

OMG, those whiny, helpless, mall breathing gals need to go. You go Evie!

"Oh," Betty screamed as she frantically clawed her way toward Peter, "He's dying, he's dying."

Evie rubbed her forehead, she had such a headache. There was no way she would use Hap's dwindling store of asprin, so it would have to stay in her head till it went away.

Sighing deeply, she marched to the door, grabbed her son by the shirt and started tugging him into the room. "Don't just stand there," she snapped. "Get over here and help."

Patty and Brett reluctantly came forward and each grabbed an arm. They gave a small tug, accomplishing nothing.

"Pull," Evie raised her voice, " I said PULL!" and Peter came shooting across the tile floor; his head rammed into Betty's foot, pinning it against the table leg in a awkward smash.

Betty started to say something, and then fainted.

Evie shrugged, thinking it was a good thing she was still on the floor, she didn't have far to fall. But, it was probably good for a black eye in the all in all.

Patty took one look at the blood staining her father's pant leg and joined her mother on the floor. She fell across Betty, breaking her fall with her mother's body. Evie didn't spare her a second glance.

"Cool," Brett was staring at the rapidly spreading stain, soaking his dad's jeans. "Can I see?"

What a moron, Evie privately told herself. "Yes, you will be helping me. Go wash your hands."

"Why?" Brett asked with a puzzled look. "It'd dad that's hurt, not me." "Just do it," she patiently replied. And with a shake of his head, he did.

Evie's head hurt worse; what had or hadn't Brett's parents been teaching him. Apparently nothing, she decided sourly.

Brett drew in a swift breath, when Evie slid the knife along Peter's ankle and the extream sharpness split his father's jeans up toward the knee. "I'm splitting the material here," she explained. "It's easier to patch if your not next to the seam." Giving the reason for every move she made, Evie showed Brett how to bathe the blood stickiness away from the wound. Exposing the bullet crease, she worked carefully, but rapidly, hoping Pete continued in his passed out state. It would be easier on both of them.

"Wow," Brett looked hard at the raw, red flesh; swallowing with a shudder. "I've never seen a gun shot before."

Just below the knee, the bullet had torn across the flesh and muscle leaving a gouge 3 inches long. Pete had lost blood, it would hurt like the devil, but Evie reasoned it was a long way from his heart. He'd live.

Evie thanked God that the bullet was gone; the blood and serum had flowed freely, cleaning the wound. She poured the water she had sterilized over the jagged edges. Peter moaned slightly, stirring, moving away from the source of hurt. Evie just moved the towel along as he tried to retreat; the table leg stopping his progress.

"Don't touch it," she warned Brett. "Iv'e got to get a wrap to bind it up, got to prevent more bleeding." As she got up from the floor, she noticed all 5 Apperton kids watching silently, intently interested in what was going on. Evie nodded at them and smiled, "How's Hap," she asked.

"He's sleeping," Benny said in a hushed voice, acting afraid he would speak too loudly and wake the man in the other room. "Good," Evie soothed. "Thank you for caring and watching over him. That was very important to me." Benny stood a bit taller, and Clora shifted Jane from one hip to the other. Zander nodded his head and Sandra smiled shyly. "Let me get some bandages, I'll be right back." Evie spoke over her shoulder, as she walked down the hall.

Pete was stirring more, by the time Evie returned. She had Brett hold his leg still while she wrapped the wound snugly with rolls of old sheet. A pad of clean boiled tee shirt, sopped the slight seepage, Evie finished the wrap and tied the ends.

"Cool," Brett approved. "That was neat, where'd you learn to do that?"

"Just experience," Evie replied. "Many, many years of experience. It was better before the crash, when we had medicines and supplies to work with." Everyone nodded, they all could think back to better times..

"Let me clean up this mess," Evie sighed heavily, getting slowly to her feet.

"This too?", Benny jerked his thumb in the direction of the pile of blessedly silent women.

Brett snickered. Benny smiled; and Patty said from the floor, "Your dead, Brett. Wait till I get my hands on you!"
    Last edited by PacNorWest; 10-16-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: a mix up

You're telling a good story, can't wait for more. Thank you.

thanks, for a very good storyline, hope the DIL and children can get their act together

Great chapters thank you. Go Evie.

Brett laughed out loud, jerking his thumb in his sister's direction. "Don't get close." he advised Benny. "She'll whack ya when ya least expect it."

Benny cut a quick look at Clora, grinned hugely and nodded his head. Clora took a swipe at Benny, but missed by a mile.

"Good, your up," Evie adressed Patty. "Get your rear up and give us a hand."

"I dont feel so good," Patty stalled, anything to get out of work, "I feel oozy."

"Doesn't make any difference, now get up and help the boys get blankets and a pillow for your dad."

"Well,....what about mom," Patty whined. "She's awake and not doing anything."

Evie had to turn away to hide a smile. The thieves were turning on each other. So soon, she chuckled inwardly.

Evie noticed Betty give Patty a vicious poke in the arm.

"Ooww Mom, what was that for,' Patty whimpered. "It's not fair we have to do things, your faking your ankle most of the time anyhow."

"Shut up," Betty hissed.

Evie sighed deeply. This was a trial from the Lord, she was sure. "Every one, up and ate'm. Peter needs care and he needs it now. Benny, show Brett where the blankets are in our bedroom. Clora please check on Hap. Betty get up and finish cleaning the mess you made with the broken bowl. Sandra and Zander please watch at the windows, we don't want anyone sneaking up on us. Go; now scoot everyone." Orders flew right and left, and kids scattered. Evie watched with amusement as Betty made a great show of scooting along the floor and gasping with the effort of hauling her sorry rear up into the chair.

Peter moaned a bit when they rolled him on a blanket, padding him from the harshness of the floor. From the effort to do that, Evie knew there was no way they could get him up and into a bed, without his full ability to help. Now that he was warm, he settled down and wasn't so restless. It was also noteable that Betty scarcely spared her husband a glance. Hummm, thought Evie. Must be trouble in paradise.

Evie sent Benny to the basement for the pot of rice. It was way past noon, and she could hear the children's stomachs growling. The pan needed more water, and Evie set it to heat.

Working around the mound of belongings the kids had dumped when they first came, exasperated Evie. That many people clogging the kitchen exasperated her, the lack of food exasperated her, and most of all; the attitude of Peter's family down right ticked her off.
    This was starting out to be a real difficult trial. Pete, she could walk around. The rest of them, not so much.

"OK, Kids, get your coats on,"Evie instructed. "I need all the dandelion leaves you can find." she handed out a couple of battered bowls.
    "Benny, you and Clora know what we picked the other day," the oldest Apperton kids nodded. "Brett, Patty, you know what dandelions are?" Evie questioned her grandchildren. "Get as much as you can."

"You don't mean me also," Patty turned incredulous eyes on her grandmother, "I don't do things like that."

"You do now," Evie assured her brightly. "No work, no eat."

"Well, I don't want to eat that," with a grand sweep of her arm, Patty included the rice and the thought of eating something from outside. "I want to order pizza," she announced. "Mom, let's order pizza for us. The rest of them can have THAT" and she pointed to the pan of bubbling rice that was threatening to boil over.

"If you have the money, be my guest," Evie looked square at Betty. "I have none."

Betty blushed and ducked her head, mumbling something at Patty.

"YOU DONT HAVE ANY MONEY," Patty repeated the improbable conjecture, stunned that her mother was denying her a way to eat what she wanted. "I don't believe it." Betty muttered something more under her breath at Patty, the girl standing stock still, tears welling in her eyes. "Well look in dad's wallet," she temporized; "He has money," she finished confidently.

"Get outside with the rest of the children and pick dandelions," Evie thundered. "Right now!" and she gave Patty a not so gentle shove toward the door.

"Your mean," Patty pouted, slowly inching outside. "I don't like you." and the door closed with a right smart slam.

"Do you have any food in the cultch you brought" Evie adressed Betty, who was studiously looking in the opposite direction. "we are almost out of food here. We don't have enough to feed you all."

Betty hesitated ever so slightly, just enough to tell Evie, that indeed there was food somewhere close. "Ahh, I don't remember," she said sweetly." The kids and Peter loaded the car," Betty's tone of voice daring Evie to locate what they had hidden.

"We lost most of it Ma," Peter spoke from the floor. "I had to steal the car we drove in here; our car ran out of fuel. That's why those guys were so pissed. They shot me for good measure, when I found them and tried to give the car back."

"I'm not surprised," Evie said dryly. "Most folks would object to having their property taken," heavy with meaning, she aimed her words at Peter and Betty.

Pete frowned, not quite understanding what his mother was getting at; but Betty acted totally ignorant of the situtation.

Evie went to stir the rice. It was so unappetizing looking; it would have to do however. That's what there was.

What ever Evie was about to say; was cut off by a scream from outside.

thanks for the new chapter, maybe an adder for the snakes

Snort! That's a good one.

"There's a bee, get it away from me! It's going to sting me. Oh, MOTHER! help, it's a bee." Patty was carrying on the most hysterical of demonstrations, gyrating, wildly swatting at the small object. Screaming at the top of her lungs.

That's a mistake, no self respecting bee would repeat twice; Evie pitied the bee, thinking it was in no real danger. Actually, Patty was a bit quicker in finding a reason to abandon the greens hunt than Evie gave her credit for. Creative little stinker, Evie said under her breath, as she watched through the open kitchen door.

The Apperton kids had done a very credable job of finding two large bowlsful of dandlion greens. Even Jane was in the spirit, pulling up handsful of grass and throwing it in the bowl. Clora was fast,tipping the bowl away from the grass Jane was flinging about, but encourgaging her younger sister to work.

Brett worked slowly, often stopping to check what Benny was picking from the yard. "Hey," he softly questioned Benny."Have you guys really eaten these weeds? I mean their not gonna kill us, are they?"

"Not the best," Benny flat out told him, "Better to have something to eat, than nothing. Benny looked at Clora. Between them they decided they had better let Evie and Hap use the small amount of food they had secreted away. Clora got Zander's attention the next time he came with a handful of greens for the bowl, and sent him inside to deliver the packages to Evie.

Zander came inside the kitchen, pointed to the living room and tugged on the old sweater Evie was still wearing. Together they walked into the darkened room. Hap was sleeping, slight snores coming from the couch. Evie smiled at her husband, knowing that rest would make all the difference to him.

Zander pointed under the easy chair slipcover; the flounce hiding the small packages of grains. "Thank you Zander," Evie impulsively gave him a hug and a smooch on the forehead. "Thank you so very much."

The small boy reached up and touched the place where she had kissed him. Wide eyed, he stared at Evie. Then it hit her. Zander was a classic failure to thrive child. He hadn't had the proper amount of touch and stimulation. Happy to have the revalation, Evie hugged him again before scooping up the food and heading to the kitchen. Treat it causally and light, she told herself. Yes, lightly and with humor.

Again, the old cast iron skillet slid on the insert top, this time with 8 tablespoonsful of flour. The Apperton kids came stomping into the kitchen with the freshly washed leaves, and Evie put them on to cook. This time Sandra stood stirring the flour so it would brown, and not burn.

Patty was the last in the door; not having a audience takes all the fun out of a hissy fit, leaving the hissy with no choice but to join the rest of the kids. Patty was not used to being unnoticed. Suddenly, no one was interested in her, and the fact stung a lot. A princess without a court can still act uppity; but it bothers no one but her.

Evie watched the Apperton kids help each other wash and find the plates and spoons. Benny quietly showed Brett what to do. Patty ignored the preparations, looking down her nose at the meal, prefering to not eat THAT STUFF! Betty looked on, her nose going a bit higher with every regal sniff she managed. Pete shuffled himself around so as to be out of the traffic lane in the busy kitchen. Kids had almost tripped over his leg several times; and he couldn't take that stress.

Twenty minutes and Evie had rice with gravy and dandelion greens handed out to those that were hungry. Patty and Betty declined, Pete took a plateful and Brett tried a few cautious mouthfulls. Evie filled a plate for Hap, and went in to help him eat and catch a few moments of peace and quiet. The noisy tension was about to do her in. Her headache throbbed harder, now that she had a moments downtime.

It was quiet. All the members of the household were eating, when there was a huge explosion of noise and the old white clapboard house shook, rattled and rolled.

thanks for the new page, good stuff

BOOM! Evie counted to 3 and another window rattling BOOM resounded. All the kids reacted by screeching, even little Jane was crying in fear. Another BOOM, slightly lower in volume, and then torrents of rain. Hard driving, pounding rain, the kind that prevents talking..

Hap looked up, and Evie could see fear in his eyes. Her beloved husband was almost a year into the long road of dementia and alzheimers. It made no difference which it was, the results not unlike each other. The bouts of severe heart angina spasms weakening his body and mind further. True fear and despair gripped Evie; the future in an instant revelation loomed on the horizion. Cold, grey, lonely misery. No color, no respite from body numbing terror and grief. She rubbed Haps hand on her cheek. The small gesture calming him, and he settled back and let her cover him with the warm afgan.

Heavily, she got to her feet and went into the kitchen to calm the uproar. One more job in a day of unimagineable happenings.

Really good stuff! I'm waiting on pins and needles to see more!

and my portion forever.

"I'm scared," Sandra flew into Evie's arms. Her thin body shaking in fright. Evie gathered an armful of children, even Brett was in there somewhere. Slowly she started talking about spring time, and weather, and what happened when cold air met warm air and updrafts happened. It was a soft droning explanation that achieved it's intended goal. All the children settled down, relaxing and almost nodding off to sleep.

"Well isn't that just too too sweet," Betty sneered, breaking the silence. The tone of her voice shattered the peace, and the kids scattered, acting self concious at being caught acting scared; especially the older ones.

Evie shot Betty a nasty look, one that would have curled the toes of a more normal woman. Betty shrugged it off, a smirky little grin tugging at her mouth.

"Betty, knock it off," Pete's voice was flat with anger. "That was uncalled for."

Betty shrugged once again, unconcerned what her husband thought. She lowered her eye lids and stared at him, daring him to make another comment. She had thought of several things to say to him, just waiting for the correct time to blast his ears back along his head. Pete was acting like an ass; now that he was here at his stupid mother's house. She was giving Pete the backbone he had lost many years ago. That certaintly wasn't necessary. Betty thought she had a better handle on their life than Pete did.

Pete understood that look. It was Betty's 'I'm in charge, and if you don't believe it...just ask me!' look.

Damm, his leg hurt. The TV actors never acted like it really hurt them, but it did, big time. He needed to use the bathroom, that was a problem that needed a solution right away.

"Ma, Betty, I need help to get up and use the bathroom. Ma, are there any crutches here?" Pete was pretty sure his mother had some. She had a magic basement that probably had a pink elephant down there..if you needed one.

Evie nodded, and started for the cellar door. "Be right back, I think there are a pair or two. Sorry I didn't think of them sooner."

"Bring up some decent food," Betty ordered. "I'm hungry and I'm not eating that dog food you fed the kids."
    Last edited by PacNorWest; 10-20-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: fixed chapter #

Snap, Crackle & Pop would be the sounds resonating from my fist to Betty's mouth at this point. Patience is rewarding yes, however, downright abuse is forbidden. Thank you for keeping this story going quickly.