Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Oh for Pete's Sake!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Poor Inky, he's lonely out there all by himself. What a day, thanks for the good chapter.

Evie rubbed her temple. What was the matter with that fool dog now. She supposed she'd better go see, the animal howling and whining louder than before. She didn't even get all the way into the kitchen, before she could smell what was the trouble. Inky had tangled with a skunk.

Blast! What a wretched smell!. Skunk odor always gave her the dry heaves, she remembered as she hung over the sink. By now, Inky had the whole family up. Gagging, retching sounds filled the night. Evie opened the damper and the insert door for light. "I'm going to put Inky in the barn for the night," she said in the most exasperated tone she could muster. "This has to be above and beyond the call of duty, you kids stay away from the fire and I'll be back in a minute." she instructed, as she tried the weak flashlight beam against the wall. If she were lucky it would get her to the barn and back, if she hurried.

Inky was plastered against the back door, crying and howling at the potent scent clogging his face, nose and lungs. "Come on, you dumb mutt," Evie called and then had to yank on the dog's collar to get him going. "Come," she ordered, "Come Inky." The barn was super dark, swallowing the feeble light. Evie finally got Inky in the old tack room and shut the door. As she turned around, something small, dark and with a electric white stripe down it's back moved in the shadows. Evie stood stone still. The only thing that moved was the flashlight, that blinked and went dimmer. What a pickle, her mind raced with probable outcomes.

In a better situtation, she would have had fresh batteries in the flashlight to last the standoff. This wasn't one of them. The yellow beam blinked once more and dropped another notch in brightness.

Evie felt the wall behind her, for the tack room doorknob. Better the devil of a smell that you know, than the source of the problem, she told herself bravely. Whirling around, she opened the tack room door and darted inside. Inky, seeing his opportunity, plunged through the partially open door and and ran right into the skunk.

Gagging and retching the second time, Evie held the front of her sweater over her nose, as she tried to see with the almost darkened flashlight. Clearly, the skunk was the victor. Inky went streaking out the the barn toward the house; and the skunk moseyed along unperturbed. That flat headed, beady eyed stinkin son of a gun, Evie spat on the floor. She reeked with the fresh dose spray. Inky, when he bolted for freedom, pushed the door hard against her injuried shoulder, and worst of all; she had heaved up that beautiful bowl of stew. Wasted food. Evie sat in the old wooden barn chair and sobbed.

It was like the wrath of God had visited them the last three days. Strange, scary and totally uncharacteristic events had happened.
    After Hap retired, why they had spent many years in the every day ho-hum of life, where nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
    When the economy faltered, and then depressioned, life split at the seams. Betty waltzed in and stole their savings, and she and Hap became estranged from them. Then the Appertons kids came, and then Pete's family. It was just too much. Evie hunched over and cried a little harder.

"Phew Grandma, you stink!" Brett announced loud and clear. "What happened?"

"You dummy," Benny poked at his cousin, half-brother, brother, he didn't stop to reason out the connection. "She got sprayed by a skunk, you can't tell that?"

Brett defended himself; "I'm from the city. We don't have skunks where I live. How am I supposed to know what skunks do?"

"Ya got skunks where you live now," Benny teased. "Real stinky ones."

"Yeah," Brett agreed. "What we gonna do now?"

Poor Evie, I guess it's too cold to spend the night in the creek. Great story, loving it.

Talk about a bad day. What's next for poor Evie? Biblical plagues?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

She needs a good nights sleep at sometime.

Brett said seriously, "I'm going back to bed, I can't stand the smell out here."

"Hey," Benny objected. "We cant leave Mizz Evie out here. It's cold, you dope head. How'd you like it if it was you?"

"Who you calling names, you black eyed animal," Brett forgot the name of a raccoon, but figured he was close enough.

The two young men started
    squaring off in a push and shove match. Brett was taller and out weighed Benny by 25 pounds, but Benny; well Benny was hurt from his encounter with the charging Inky. "You just wait," he threatened. "As soon as I feel better,"....

"When did you get hurt Benny?" Evie interupted the war. "Was it Inky?" Benny nodded, but forgot Evie couldn't see him in the dark. "Yeah," he rasped. "He rolled me but good."

"That dog has been nothing but trouble. More than we can handle, more than I want to have around," frustrated Evie heaped blame on Inky. "We can't feed him, my word, he probably eats tons of food," she accused. "Food we don't have."

"Kids, go get me a blanket please," Evie switched gears in the middle of her thought." I'm gonna sleep out here tonight. I'm so tired, I can't function." "For sure I can't be inside." Brett snickered. Benny asked for the flashlight, for his walk to the house. Evie passed it to him.

"Oh, are we scared of the dark," Brett jabbed at Benny, and the thin youth sidestepped the finger poke. "No," Benny mumbled, "I don't want to find a skunk the hard way."

The flashlight ended it's life as Benny returned to the barn.."Rats," his childish voice said in the total darkness.

"Gosh damm, it's dark in here," Brett expressed his opinion. "Brett! That's enough of that kind of language," Evie interupted. "No more," she scolded.

"Mizz Evie, keep talking so I can find you, here's the blanket," Benny requested. "Come on Brett, we need to use your glow in the dark eyes to get to the house. Or do you want to stay with Mizz Evie.?"

"I think I'm needed in the house," Bretts voice was quiet and wobbly. "It sure is dark out here."

"Hang on to me," Benny stated the obvious. "We don't want you to get lost."

There was muttering under Brett's breath, it sounded like "me neither."

PNW,

I love this story. You are doing excellent work.

Ciao,

BM
    Las Vegas NM
    "Any government that fears guns in the hands of its citizens, should." -- Thomas Jefferson

Proud Libertarian, Constitutionalist and Military Veteran

thanks for the new page

thank you

"How can you see where we are walking," Brett was curious; but like the sound of talking in the vast darkness. It helped keep the boogy men back.

"Wev'e been here almost three months now. I pay attention to where I am, and what I walk on," replied Benny.

"oh."

"When Mizz Evie gets a chance, she'll talk to you about being aware. Of where you are, what's going on around you, who is near, the weather, a whole bunch of different stuff." Benny offered, as the two boys shuffled toward the house. "I'm gonna stop, so slow up. What do you smell?"

Behind him, Brett sniffed loudly. "Skunk for sure."

"Well, is it stronger than it was?" Benny questioned.

"Yeah, a lot stronger." Brett concluded.

"Well then, two things. We are either near the door, or the dog, or both."

"Wow, that's a neat thing. Will you show me how to do that?" Brett wanted to know.

"Sure," Benny said. "Now listen," there was silence; then a thump, thump, and a small whine. "My ears say that's Inky,thumping his tail" Benny offered.
    "He's probably by the back door. Now look up. You can see the faint light from the stove through the window."

"Hey, your right," Brett was excited. "We are at the back door. Neat!" "Hey," he paused, "Do you think Grandma will be ok, I mean, it's so dark and cold. She's an old lady."

Once inside, the boys washed up. The water was cold, and hardly any soap left was left, but they felt better. They were quiet, but woke Clora up anyway. "Where's Mizz Evie," she wanted to know.

Brett and Benny related the skunk story, and how Evie would be spending the night in the barn. "We need to wood up the fire, and have water on to heat," Clora supposed. "It must be awful late. I'm going back to sleep."
    Benny stoked the fire and closed the damper halfway.

"How do you know how much to close it," Brett whispered loudly.

"By watching Mizz Evie," Benny returned. "A person has to use their eyes to see, not just look at things."

Evie drug the old horse blanket to the corner of the tack shed. It was tough trying to feel around in the dark, and there were more than one scurryings she listened to. Evie wasn't particually fond of mice, but better in the barn than in the house. Well wrapped, she sat down and covered her legs with Inga's discarded horse blanket.

Inga, she hadn't thought of her daughter since the Apperton's came and Pete's family arrived. Beautiful blue eyed, golden haired Inga. Evie was asleep. Worn out by the stress and emotional toll of the day.

Morning arrived dark and rainy. Benny fed the fire, moved the water to heat, and looked out at the morning. Inky was curled by the back door, his long hair hair shedding the rain. Puddles had formed in any depression in the yard, and a grey mist acted like a curtain making the barn appear distant and far away.

Clora paddled up next to Benny. "Do you think she's OK," she wanted to know, yawning'. "Help me look through the boxes to see what we can do for breakfast."

"We need to put this stuff away," Benny spoke softly. "It's not good to have it out where everyone can see how much we have." Together, quietly, they sorted and put the food away. There was oatmeal, the box marked as such. But no directions. So they debated as to how it should be cooked. They eventually wound up with Evie"s largest pot full of oatmeal. "Man, that sure made a lot," Benny marveled at the oatmeal filling the eight quart pot." It sure is goopy, Mizz Evie never had her oatmeal that runny" he sagely observed.

Clora stood looking at the pot. The mixture was steaming and bubbling. Using Evie's longest handled wooden spoon, she tried to keep the cereal moving, so it wouldn't burn. The white froth was threatening to boil over the rim. Twice already the oatmeat had plopped, stinging Clora's arm with bit of goo.

"Benny, I think you had better go get Mizz Evie. I think we have a mess. I don't want to burn it, but I can't stir it anymore." Clora gave up trying to cook the oatmeal.

Benny took one look at her, the pot of cereal and nodded. "I'll go get her."

Evie stood in the darkened tack shed, rubbing mane and tail soap all over herself. She had discovered the partial bottle way back on the shelf. Many times she and Inga had used the shampoo to take grass and manure stains off Inga's paint mare. Humming a stanza of 'The old Grey Mare Ain't what She Usta Be,' Evie rubbed with a rag and scrubbed her skin hard. She carefully worked the whiteish, ropy soap into her hair, and double scrubbed any part of her that she could reach.

There was a timid knock at the door. "Mizz Evie, are you awake," Benny questioned softly. He didn't want to wake her up if she was still asleep. "Just a minute," Evie hollered, as she wrapped up in the blanket. She had already decided to leave her clothes in the barn, to be gathered later. "I'm coming," she sang out. "It's cold out here."

Benny nearly cut and ran, when Evie came sailing out the door. He had no idea what she had plastered all over her, but boy was she sticky and wierd looking. "Come on," she insisted, as she hurried for the house. "I'm freezing!"

Slogging through the mud barefoot, Evie made it to the door before Inky unfolded himself from his sleeping position and woofed, startled by the creature slipping and sliding toward him. He made a defensive stance, and was ready to tear the apprition apart. Closer and closer the blanket flapping menace advanced toward the astonished dog, when there were horn honks in the drive.

"Damm that Claude," Evie said aloud.

I've got to tell you, plagues of bibicial porportions really tickled my funny bones. That's a good phrase to remember.

Don't do too much or they will lose the will to live!!!! LOL!!!

WAB
    Last edited by wab54; 11-09-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Evie is a smart one.

Evie is a star, thanks for the page

Inky headed straight toward Evie. Hate making his eyes red with rage, slober dripping from both sides of his mouth, and his teeth vibrating; just waiting to clamp on a person and inflict damage. As the big dog barrelled toward her, Evie stood still in fright. Closing her eyes, she prayed. Boy howdy, did she pray. Evie could feel the force Inky was pushing in front of him, as he prepared to crush her.

Hackles up, Inky responded to the soft, hissing whistle Benny gave him, by fixating on his target. Sic'em to Inky, ment give it your all.

Inky went past Evie in a rush. Pushing the older woman over to sprawl in the mud, the senior lady was in a most undignified tumbled heap. Streaked with mud, mixing with the soap and the red plush blanket, Evie sat on the ground in the rain, stunned.

Loping towards his target, Inky looked like the Hound of The Baskervilles. Mud, water, slober and growling anger put the casual Claude up on top of his beloved Lincoln. Inky came skidding to a stop; took stock of the situtation and put his paws on the Lincoln's roof. His teeth clacking mere inches from Claude's right leg.

At a muted whistle, Inky went off attack mode. His paws raked down the side of the window and door panel as he backed off. Standing on all four paws, he intently watched Claude, as the man cautiously scooted across the roof and peered down at the man-eating dog.

Inside the auto, Betty was laughing so hysterically she wet her pants; staining Claude's immaculate white seat. It was really funny until Inky walked around to her side of the car and stuck his head in the window. To get a better look, and to investigate a new odor he was smelling, Inky put a paw on the window frame and slipped. His large, tough toenails raking down the passengers door.

"Go away!" Betty commanded; her laughter making the order inneffective. Claude tried a dukes of hazzard manuver; sliding feet first in through the window. He made it about three quarters of the way in, and got his feet caught in the steering wheel. The lock button caught the back of Claude's belt, and suddenly Inky was hot breath close to the roadhouse owner's ear. Frozen, Claude swallowed hard.
    Inky growled deep and low, about the scariest sound Claude had ever heard.

Evie waved at Benny to call off his dog. Inky responded slowly, reluctant to let go of such fun, but he eventually backed off.

Evie had a terrible problem. How to get up off the ground in a dignified manner, keep her modesty, and get inside before anything else happened. Inky, sensing her distress, came to stand beside her. Evie pulled herself upright, using the strong back of the dog to hang on too.

"You did what, and where did that skunk smell come from," Claude roared from the car.

oh my! lol! I am so glad there was that next chapter! love this. I tell ya, if it weren't for bad luck she would have no luck at all! but yet it does seem to turn out to be better after the bad! thank you!!

Me thinks Inky came at just the right time.

Gathering her dignity as she rearranged her robe for maximum coverage, Evie excaped to the house. Breaking her own rule of not using any more electricity than humanly possible, she headed for the shower. Standing in the hot water, it was a dickens to get the soap out of everywhere, especially her hair. Evie scrubbed, and then scrubbed again. Yet, she still smelled a little like skunk.

The children in the house had not witnessed such cartoon like excapades since their mother sold the TV. Little heads swiveled to and fro first from Inky, then to Claude and Betty; the pair coming toward the house like Patton advancing his troops.

Claude hit the door roaring like a wounded water buffalo. His precious car had been vandalized and he was looking for blood. Every time he got close to one of those stinkin kids, that blasted dog came looking for him. Claude was so angry, he determined that whatever it was Evie needed, she would pay double or triple for.

Betty was careful to keep her back to the wall. The dark wet stain of her indiscretion very noticeable on her back side. Claude was so mad about his car, she was afraid he might leave her there. She came to speak to Pete, and was a little suprised he wasn't there. They had come early, so she could get more of her things and be back early. It was her turn to open the bar at 9am.

"Where's Patty," she asked Brett, "and your dad. I need to get a few things straightened out with him."

Brett had that deer in the headlight look, when Evie came around the corner into the kitchen. "What do you want," she asked a touch waspishly. No love for Betty made her brusk and short with her daughter in law.

"I want to talk to Pete, and Patty," Betty said reasonably. "I'm surprised their both gone so early."

"Pete's in the hospital, then jail. Patty's in juvie hall. You can visit them in town." Evie tried to move her unwanted guests out of her home in short order. Both Betty and Claude stood there like stumps, growing roots. Betty recovered first, "What?" she said like she didn't comprehend.

Evie sighed and launched into the same explaination. Stupid woman must have cotton in her ears.

"I heard the first time," Betty snapped. "I can't believe you didn't come tell us. I have the right to know; you know."

Evie just shrugged. Right now, Betty was the last of her problems. She had just spotted the huge pot of oatmeal that had started to bubble over. Flying toward the wood stove, Evie grabbed the towel hanging on the hook and scooted the pot off the heat. Astonished at the amount of oatmeal that had been cooked, she missed Claude's first whining bleat.

The man was reduced to a sniveling mass of quivering rage concerning his car. Claude carried on so long and loud about how his car had been destroyed by Hap and Evie's negligence; he woke up Hap and Jane.

Hap started yelling for Evie and Jane started screaming because she was all alone in the bed. Inky started barking, and Evie started a headache.

This is hilarious! Take a broom to all of them Evie.

If it was me, I would take one of Pete's guns and shoot the both of them. I am sure that would save a lot of grief in the long run.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

I hope Evie doesnt have to put up with their crap to long, lol wab54.

sic em Inky tear Claude a new one and Betty too for that matter, good pages

I love this story!!!!!
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, People will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -- Maya Angelou

Evie sent Clora to get Jane, Zander to go speak with Hap, and then turned to push Claude and Betty out the door. Claude was staring at the pot of oatmeal, rubbing his chin in contemplation. Claude was pretty sure he hadn't put oatmeal in the box he brought out to the Hansons; so they were getting supplies from another source. He filed that information away for further use. He needed to find who was horning in on his cash cow.

Claude stalled; asking questions of Evie to see if he could work any information out of her. Betty put up with the nonsense as long as she could. "Claude, I've got to open soon. We need to be going,"

Claude shot her a real dirty look, but tipped his hat to Evie and left. Betty slid out the door sideways, refusing to let the group see her wet pants. Inky was parked next to the vintage Lincoln. As Claude got closer, he curled his lip to show large gleaming white teeth. A low growl rumbled deep in his throat.

Betty got in her side of the car and Claude approached Inky very carefully. "Go away, shoo! Good doggy, now go away. Shoo, Shoo!"
    Inky got up, stretched and walked over and wet on the rear hubcap. The huge Newfoundland turned to look at Claude and gave the fuming man a big doggy grin. Walking around the back of the car, he wet on the other wheel for good measure.

"So help me." Claude grated between clenched teeth, "That dog's gonna meet with a bad accident. Nobody or no one messes with my car." Claude's love for his Lincoln was legendary around the community.

Betty smiled at Claude with her best sexy grin and cooed to him, hoping to pass the bad moment. She scooted over and whispered in his ear, her intention was to make him forget a long list of things that had happened that morning.

"You smell like p---." Claude turned his head away, disgusted at the way Betty smelled, his car looked, and the fact that his scheme of rooking the Hansons might be unraveling. The Lincoln started smoothly, and as Claude started to drive away he looked in the rear view mirror. Inky stood wagging his plumy tail.

"Kids, where did all this oatmeal come from?," Evie questioned gently. "This is really a large amount."

"We know, Benny said happily. "We were super hungry. It sure looks good, don't it. We made enough so's Inky could have some. He's the one that ate our fish, we figgured that one out, cause he had real fishy breath."

"Wellll," Evie drew the word out. "Kids we can feed him today, but we don't have the food to share with such a large dog. We can't feed a dog and let people go hungry." Benny face fell, she sure was right, but they loved Inky. He had come back to them, after ma gave him away. That had to prove that he loved them back. There just had to be a way. Benny started thinking hard. There had to be a way.

Evie dished out oatmeal for everyone. Clora showed her a small package of sugar they had put in the cupboard. All the bowls got a nice spoonful of sugar. A real treat.

Evie expressed her gratitude to the Appertons for putting the food away. Especially grateful for having the groceries hidden when Claude showed up. The frequent visits Claude was making were certainly suspicious, unusual and Evie was beginning to smell something fishy, and it wasn't Inky's breath.

Hap was having one riproaring bad day. Evie coaxed him to eat, then had to feed him. Hap was so confused he couldn't remember how to feed himself. It was so different from yesterday. Tears in her eyes, Evie helped her husband finish his oatmeal. Hap wanted to sleep, and she put him in bed; pulling the covers over his shoulders. A quick caress of his face and she left.

Downhearted, she sat at the table, toying with her bowl of cereal. Anguish had destroyed her appitite. Hap's disease was harder on the rest of the family than Hap. A couple of sniffles; and a hard swallow or two. Zander materialized like the silent little ghost he was, and patted Evie's arm. A consolation from one so small, was almost more than Evie could handle. Gathering Zander in a careful hug, she scrunched her face to keep from crying.

Clora walked over with Jane. The youngest Apperton reached her arms for Evie to hold her. If anything could heal a wounded soul, it was the wrap of small arms around her heart. Jane squeezed her arms around Evie's neck, bringing a small smile to the old woman.

They would get through, somehow.

"I like Inky," Zander spoke quietly. "I want him to stay." All Evie could do was nod her head in agreement.

She would find a way.

Brett watched from outside of the circle of love that surrounded Evie. He felt awful, his mom had not even said hello, or even looked at him. Dad was gone. Mom was gone. Patty was gone; not that he missed her, of course, but still, it made him miserable to be so alone.

"Hey, watcha do'in out there," Benny asked. "Get in here," and he yanked Brett's arm hard. Brett smiled as he got up from the floor. He had kinda always wanted a brother. He might have to give that kid a over friendly 'pat on the back', one of these days, just to let him know how much he was appreciated. Pat my eye, Brett thought. I'm gonna punch the crap outta him.

Nice thank you,Claude and Betty need a swift kick.

Jane wouldn't be put down. Finally Evie used the material and bound the child to her. There were so many chore to do; the morning had to go on. The more she thought about it, the more Evie realized that Jane had something seriously wrong with her. Sitting for a moment of rest after packing four bread pans with oatmeal, and cleaning the kitchen; Evie became aware of Jane's heart beat. It was erratic, weak and thready.

Vitamin B deficency my rear; Evie concluded. This child has heart problems. Hollering for the kids to come into the kitchen, Evie asked if they had ever been to the doctor. Benny and Clora said in unison, ":Yeah, lots of times. But not as many as Jane."

Evie asked about any particular problems, and Benny was about to reply; when Patty burst in through the door screaming, "Hide me! Hide me, the sheriff is coming to get me!"

thanks for the new pages, but not Patty

Oh man Patty, but it would be nice if she could learn to mend her ways instead of becoming another Betty. Poor baby Jane.

"Mercy, MERCY!" Evie mumbled, another crisis and it wasn't noon yet. Patty was naturally hysterical, out of wind from running, dirty and disheveled. But this time she had a look of fear on her face. Patty was well and truly frightened.

"My goodness, what has happened," Evie tried to get a word in edgewise. Patty threw herself on the floor at her grandmother's feet, crying and talking at the same time. Patty crawled under the table and curled in a ball..

"Wow, look at that," Brett stared at the rapidly approaching sheriff's car."Look at him go. Do you suppose he's coming here?"

The comment sent Patty into fresh screaming and crying.

William Leroy Pendelton had such a look of determination when he pounded on the door; he didn't look like the man Evie had visited with yesterday. Jerking open the door, his eyes fell to the wildly emotional girl on the floor.

"Help, help," Patty screamed, "Grandma, he's gonna spank me!"

She probably has it coming!

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

This is one time I wish your story was a movie, I'd like to see that. The brat.

And it was a spanking she got. Patty Hanson was a good sized gal for her age. A little pudgy with good time living, but Sheriff Pendelton was a very determined man. Patty howled, beat her fists in the air with every wallop of Will's hand. There was complete silence when he was done.

Patty turned big, blue, teary eyes toward Evie and said, "Grandma, you should have stopped him." Pouting, Patty stood behing Evie, putting her grandmother between herself and that monster of a sheriff.

"I am a man of my word, Patty. I told you there would be consequences for behaving badly at the detention center," Will spoke calmly.
    "The matron does not have time to baby you or extend you special privilages. You will behave, you will obey orders. If I catch you running away again, you will be in jail where I can keep close control of you. Do you understand?" Will's eyes burned in intensity, as he stared at Patty.

"Yeah," Patty mumbled.

"What did you say?" Will repeated louder.

"Yes Sir." Patty said between gulping sobs. "My mom's not gonna like you hitting me. Your gonna be sorry," Patty had to have the last word.

"Your mother is the parent that gave me permission," Will retorted.

This story is growing on me. Some of these scenes are funny!
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

That may be the only way Patty learns, it sure didn't kill us as children. Thank you so much for another chapter.

thanks for the new chapter, but he needed to use a hickory on her or a flyswat at least

"Oh, she wouldn't do that." Patty was sure. "She wouldn't let dad spank me, so she wouldn't let you. I think you are a liar. I don't know where dad is, but he wouldn't let you either. He said I was his princess. Princesses are not spanked. If that happens, they have the person beheaded for touching them." Patty's announcement brought whoops of laughter from Brett, Benny and Clora. Sandra and Zander watched with smiles at the absurd way Patty was carrying on.

Carry on she did. She invoked every royal rule she had thought of. Evie had to hide a smile, nuzzling Jane's neck. The child stirred, smiled at Evie and burrowed back into her sleeping position.

Evie waved Benny over and spoke quietly to him. He looked at Clora, and motioned her to come over. They agreed on the information and Evie stood up, blocking Patty's view of Will. Alarmed, Patty went to push down on Evie's shoulders, confining her to the chair. Patty wanted to know where Will was at all times.

Will looked at Patty and instructed," say your sorry for pushing your grandmother. That's not the right thing to do." he waited for the child to comply. As he blinked, Patty stuck out her tongue in a fit of childish rage. Will would have missed the act, but Clora gasped at the audacity and Will snapped around.

Quicker than anyone could have thought possible, Sheriff Will walloped on Patty's amply padded rear the second time. "Go get in the car," he roared in frustration, pointing the direction with his smarting hand. Astonishingly, Patty went without another word.

"I can't believe it," he was muttering. "What a stubborn little girl. The Matron said she was a hard nut to crack. The store owner wants to go ahead and press charges. Seems Patty pulled her princess act on him, when he caught her. He was definately not amused. Has she been like this all the time?"

"Yeah," Brett all but applauded the sheriff's actions. "That was really neat, what you did. Nobody has ever made her mind before."

"What about you," Will advanced a bit agressively toward Brett, "are you behaving. Do you need a tune up also?"

Brett's tongue fell all over itself as he stammered out his "No Sir."

"He's a good fellow;" Evie assured Will. "Does his share of the chores and helps with the younger kids. Say Will, the kids have had Dr. Barnes as their doctor.We need to check on Jane's records; there is something very wrong with this child and I think it is her heart.
    Can you access his files?"

Will nodded. "can do. Might be a few days, but I'll let you know."

"Will, would you pull the records of all the kids, I'm wondering if the problem might be hereditary. Look, and I really mean look at the physical similarities between them." Evie finished.

All five Apperton kids were slight in stature. Thin boned, skinny, with pale complections. Will had thought them severely undernourished, as did the nurse, doctor in the emergency room; but never expected the problem to be deeper than that.

"OK," he agreed,"It appears that you have a good notion on this one. I'll see to it." The first genuine smile he had tried all day, broke out almost against his will. Sheriff Pendelton spent more time looking mean, than happy.

"Thank you Sheriff. I think it's pretty important." Evie smiled back.

"What happened here," Will sniffed; "skunk hit the house?"

"And the dog, and grandma," Brett chortled. "Boy it was bad. The rain helped hold down the smell. Grandma really stunk!"
    "And then stupid Claude came and Inky scratched his car and peed on his wheels!" Both boys laughed themselves silly, and Will smiled broadly, thinking of Claude's fussyness about his car.

"Claude again?" he inquired. "Awful frequent visitor isn't he" Will remarked thoughtfully. He really needed to do some checking on the reasons the roadhouse owner was keeping the road hot between here and town. Claude always had a reason.

Sharp eyes noted the way baby Jane lay motionless in the baby sling, Zander and Sandra were close to Evie, Clora flitted around and the boys were sharing little boy humor about the dog and the wheels.

"I'll be in touch; thought I should let you know there's no change in Pete. He's being treated, but I've got to say, he's sure a funny fellow.
    Doesn't say much, just lays there." Will worked his way to the door. The skunk smell was strong, and the dog was worse. Inky stood up to his full height and looked Will in the eyes. Both passed the test of the other, and Inky lay down and Will went to his car.

"Boys, you need to feed Inky. I hate to ask, but you need to see if you can catch some fish. He's a big dog and requires a lot of food. Then," Evie paused, wondering at the properness of what she was going to say. "I'm going to give you directions on where to find Pete's gun and bring it back here."

Brett's eyes lit up and he went to hit Benny in the arm. Benny dodged and said "don't. You want a thumpin."

"By who," Brett retorted. "You got muscles like spaghetti."

"Ha!"

"Boy's please," Evie interjected. "Go outside with that nonsense." But she smiled to let them know she wasn't mad. The door slammed as they ran outside.

"Clora, Sandra, Zander, do you want to go?" Evie wanted them to be included. The three heads swivled toward the window to gauge the amount it was raining. Three heads nodded no. "Allright," Evie laughed. "We have chores inside."

thanks for the new chapter, hope Claude gets his next

A big thank you from me also, great work and good for Will.

Thank you. I am thoroughly enjoying your writing.

"First thing, we need to know what kind of food we have. I haven't had a chance to look at it. We need to start rice cooking for lunch, put beans on to soak and ....oh I don't know, so much needs to be done. Working as she was talking, Evie parceled out the chores to the children.

Opening the cupboard door, she looked so gratefully at the food on the shelf. All the staples; flour, sugar, cornmeal, oatmeal, shortening, dried milk. Boxes and cans of riches, plus the good old standbys; rice and beans. In a box from the food bank, way in the back corner was a short square box of tea.

Tea. A wonderous item that someone shared. A stranger's generosity was almost Evie's undoing. Hugging Jane, she had to sit down and gather her composure. Evie had longed for a cup of tea for so long and now that it was here, she was afraid to use it. Evie gave thanks for the compassion of the unkown person.

Sandra silently moved into Evie's awareness. Touching the older woman's grey braided hair she asked in a plaintive tone, "Mizz Evie, will my hair ever grow?.

With her free hand Evie gathered Sandra to her, brushing the short, wacked hair. Sandra's hair looked like her mother had chopped it off in a fit of rage; gathering handsful and cutting it in gobs. The child and her older sister looked frightful, and Evie smiled at her and asked Sandra get the hairbrush from the bathroom.

"Here, let me show you something," Evie took the brush and slowly, gently brushed Sandra"s hair. "If you brush daily, be gentle and work all the way around your head with soft strokes. Brushing will stimulate your hair to grow. We can use clips to keep it out of your eyes, until it is long enough to braid or put in a ponytail." Sandra sat so still, soaking up the personal touch. Her thin frame perched on the edge of the chair between Evie's knees. It was difficult for Evie to reach around Jane, but there was no way she was going to miss this opportunity to interact with these standoffish, frightened children.

Clora inched closer; her eyes pleading for kindness and touching, a yearning as loud as words. Evie drew her in as she had Sandra. Brushing Clora's hair in soft swipes of the brush, she explained the same thing. Slowly she changed the talk to general hygiene. How young ladies needed to wash their face, brush their teeth every day. How it was so important to be pleasant, smile and sing when the urge hit a person. Evie explained how important hugs were. Hugs made the person being hugged feel good, but the also made the person sharing the hug feel wonderful.

Evie told the girls how pretty they were. How they were growing up to be beautiful young ladies. How manners were important, and how important they were to her and Papa Hap. She needed and appreciated their help to keep the household going forward. Clora and Sandra glowed, basking in the quiet praise Evie gave them.

All the time Evie had been paying attention to the girls; Zander had been playing with Evie's grey braid of hair, After her quick shower, she had stopped long enough to braid her wet hair.

Zander twirled, looped, pretended the end of the braid was his mustache, wound it around Evie's head, tickled her neck, dusted the parts of the table he could reach, put the braid on the back of his head like a pony tail and counted the number of twists in the hair rope.

Zander inched his way around to the front of Evie's chair. She patted the seat when Clora got up. Happy, smiling, he sat so still while she brushed his hair. Again she stressed what handsome young gentlemen needed to do to keep themselves clean and presentable. How they need to use manners, care for their sisters, whistle, and be strong and fair.

Zander had to ask what whistling was. Evie showed him, and he spent the rest of the morning puckering furiously, trying his hardest to make a noise.

Brett and Benny were late for lunch, but Evie held back bowls of rice with reconstituted milk for them. They tromped in the freshly swept kitchen with four small sunfish, excited as all get out, showing off that they had provided for Inky. They wolfed down the lunch and were back out the door with the fish and the oatmeal that could be spared. Inky ate his lunch with gusto. The boys had big eyes at the rapidness the fish and oatmeal dissapeared. Inky looked at them and burped. Both boys howled with glee.

Evie called them in and gave them detailed instructions on where to find Pete's gun. Benny and Brett's eyes lit up at the idea of such an important job. Both liked guns, but did not have one minute of experience. Evie debated long and hard about the wisdom of sending two ten year olds to pick up a loaded gun, but in the end talked to them seriously about the important job.

Evie stressed being careful, to avoid people, how to hold the gun, and how not to walk in front of the person holding the gun. Sending them off with a picture she had drawn of the back gate into Wilson's pasture, she told them in no uncertain terms to be home by dark, and to not shoot at anything. Sighing heavily, she sent the two out to do the job.

With Zander down for a nap, and Jane sleeping in the sling, Evie sat down for a quick rest. She had taught Clora and Sandra the Ban ana Bo Bana singsong and they were playing quietly on the couch.

Evie had just relaxed when there was a series of three quick toots at the end of the driveway. They had mail! She looked up and Clora said quietly, "We'll go out and get it." Evie nodded her agreement, and closed her weary eyes. It seemed no more than three seconds later, there was a long drawn out scream.