Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Oh for Pete's Sake!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Cliff arrived in the mail. Argh!

AAAACCCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Yep cliff alll right.

Jolted out of a sleepy relaxation, Evie jumped up and ran to the window. Down the long driveway at the mailbox, Clora and Sandra were screaming at a dog that had them circling the mailbox. The cur had it's lips drawn back and Evie could hear the snarling, growling from where she was.

Unwrapping Jane as quickly as possible and placing the infant on the floor; Evie tore through the house and grabbed one of the shovels leaned against the house as she flew by. Running as fast as possible down the drive, she was winded and mad when she got to the mailbox post. The dog was medium sized, but ferocious with hunger, eager to taste a easy meal.

Evie positioned the girls behind her and told them to move when she moved. Both hands on the shovel, she was determined to protect them at all costs.

The next sound Evie heard was the noise of dog toenails advancing down the gravel. There should have been the sounds of the William Tell Overature in the background; as Inky raced to the rescue. The running Newfoundland was an impressive creature as he ran full tilt into the snarling, agressive dog. There were yelps, harsh barks, and then silence as Inky shook the coydog breaking the cur's neck.

Evie gathered the girls close, hugging them in a smothering embrace. Inky was called over to recieve the proper thanks and appreciation. The huge black dog standing there, smiling as he got patted, stroked and hugged. "You fool dog," Evie blubbered. "Thank you so much for protecting us." Inky bumped her with his nose, sliding her hand down the top of his head once again.

Brett and Benny came running up, panting but jabbering with excitement. "Didja see that, WOW! Inky, your so cool." Of course Inky knew he was cool. He stood magestically, allowing his public to fawn over him.

"Grandma, Grandma," Brett had to shake Evie's arm to break her fright. "what should we do with that dog. Gosh it sure is ugly."

"Don't touch it," Evie shouted, "Keep Inky away. We need to look it over."

"Why?" Brett wanted to know.

"Cause it might be sick, you dopehead," Benny shot back.

The dog or coydog as Evie suspected it might be, was thin, but didn't appear ill. Just hungry. She used the shovel to move the animal off the gravel and into the brush, "I don't want you boys fooling with this," she warned Benny and Brett. Evie was well aware of the interest the two had tried to hide, as they inspected the animal.

The group started for the house, when Evie remembered to go back for the mail. Home delivery of mail had been reduced to once a week, since the economic collapse. Sometimes in the hectic confusion of the overfull days, the Saturday delivery of mail was the only way Evie knew what day it was. It had been two years since she and Hap had bought a calendar, so the mail carrier was a blessed help. Evie stuffed the mail in her apron pocket. a quick glance had shown the insignia of the power company on the corner of the largest envelope.

Evie developed the heartburn of worry on the walk back; worry about the amount of the electric she would need to pay, with money she didn't have. So much worry that needed to be worried about, she needed to put on a second shift to get it all in.

Hap was in his chair, holding Jane.

"Evie," he said reprovingly, "you shouldn't leave Inga to cry so. There is nothing so important outside that she is left alone."

Evie blessed Hap for tending Jane. Mummering her apology, Evie gathered Jane and wound her up again in the sling. As slight as Jane was, she was a backache for Evie. A blessed backache. Hap stood up and said in a faintly befuddled voice, "I'm gonna take a nap. I didn't sleep well last night," and he shuffled back into the bedroom.

"We got the gun, Grandma, where do you want it" Brett asked, holding the weapon toward the floor as he had been taught.

"Yeah Grandma, it was cool following your treasure map. We went right to it." Benny slipped and called her Grandma. Evie was thrilled with the small treasure. "By the back door," Evie replied as she busied herself making a huge pot of tea. If ever times called for a bit of fortitude and upper lip strengthening, this was it.

The kids were tickled to be considered grownup enough to drink an adult beverage, right at the table with Grandma. It was very weak tea by regular standards, but it suited the family that wet, cold spring afternoon. Grownups regrouped like this, so the kids were happy.

Evie waited until the kids had scattered to play, before she withdrew the utility company envelope. It was well worth the pre worry, worry. The amount requested was astounding. $200.00 dollars for the two month billing period. Acid filled Evie's stomach. What to do, she trembled with the crushing fear. How would she pay, how could she pay.

A small itching notion started pulling at her awareness. There was that money. Dare she consider using some of it to pay the electric bill?

Yes use that money.

Absolutely use that money!

As always, great story! You keep us on the edge of our seats!
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Thank PNW, it's always an extra bonus to the day when I find one of your new chapters.

The rest of Saturday afternoon was filled with "Grandma this" and "Grandma that" Evie was run ragged by the time supper came around.
    Over and over she tried to give Jane something to eat or drink, with the baby refusing everything. In despair, Evie tried a dribble of tea in the youngster's mouth. She had refused everything up to this point, but allowed the tea to swallow. Elated, Evie tried again. The point of the spoon holding the barest amount for Jane to put in her mouth. In it went, down it went. Evie got Jane to swallow almost a tablespoon. The poor child had not had a wet diaper for hours. Her little body was shutting down.

Evie rocked the baby carefully, tears trickling down her face. It was time to make the walk into town. The older children must not see the Jane die in the house. "One of you must stay with Papa Hap, I want the rest of you to get your coats and come with me. Who's going to stay." Zander and Sandra looked at each other and said, "we will."

"Thank you," was all Evie could manage.
    Like a mama duck with her trailing ducklings, Evie and clan walked into town. Straight into the Sheriff's office the group went. Inky wouldn't stay outside, so he sat obediently while they waited for the sheriff to get back into town. "I have to go to the hospital, now." Evie told the alarmed young deputy, who wouldn't move without Inky showing great interest in what was happening.

"I want to leave the kids and dog here." she shook her head when Benny and Clora stepped forward, but they thrust their chins up in the most stubborn manner and silently walked to the door. Off to the hospital they marched.

Brett, left alone in the uncomfortable silence asked the deputy if he could see his dad.
    "Only if you take the dog with you," the deputy replied tiredly. "I ain't no dog sitter. That critter is big enough to pull a plow. How do you feed him?"

"Carefully," Brett smirked, as they both went back to the holding area.

Pete was lying on the bunk. A blanket thrown over part of him, his leg propped up on a pillow. His right arm was over his eyes, and he didn't move when Brett said "Poppa."

"Poppa, are you awake? I hope you are feeling better. We got real problems at Grandma's. Grandpa is kinda bad sick, Janey is bad sicker more than ever. Grandma brought her into the hospital. She don't look good. Is your leg better. When are you coming home. We got some food from Sheriff Will and a really big dog tried to hurt Clora and Sandra. We got your gun and Grandma put it in the closet behind the kitchen, She didn't think we were watching, but me and Benny wanted to know where it was. Will you show us how to use it when you get home. We need to go hunting for food for Inky and we want to use the gun."

Brett finally ran out of air and stopped talking. He sat down by his father and got comfortable. Purely capable of out waiting the man.

Thank God, his father thought gratefully. A slight twitch of his mouth, the only indication Pete was even listening.

"Have you seen your mother," Pete asked gruffly. If Brett hadn't been leaning against Inky he would have jumped a foot.

"Yes sir," Brett replied. Pete waited for Brett to say something else, but the boy just stared straight at the wall.

Evie marched into the hospital under full sail. Flinging orders, she demanded to see that pipsqueek kid that called himself a doctor. The ER was in a uproar within seconds and the good doctor came into the waiting room bellowing like a bull. Evie stood toe to toe, nose to nose with the good doctor and demanded immediate care for Jane.

"GET IN THERE," the doctor yelled, pointing at an exam room. "RIGHT NOW." "GIVE ME THAT BABY!" Usually calm and cool in the face of horrific conditions, he locked eyes with Evie, as the elder nodded her head regally and walked past him.

I hope baby Jane does not die...

when it rains it pours, thanks for the new chapters

That baby is probably going to need surgery. Great story, but good golly, Evie needs a break.

great read thank you

Dr. Phillips asked if Jane had been taking her vitamins. Before the good doctor finished his sentence, Evie hit high gear. In terms he could understand she informed the astonished doctor what was wrong with Jane; what he needed to do for the child before she died, and would he please get busy.

Dr. Phillips recovered his wits, whipped out his stethocope, and started yelling orders. "Get that woman out of here," he indicated Evie, "she stinks like skunk." Listening to Jane's heart, his face paled and he picked the baby up and ran from the room.

Evie walked back to the waiting room like a hundred year old person. Stress, pain in her heart, dread and worry for Jane and total exhaustion had her sinking into the plastic chair. Benny and Clora hustled over to sit on either side of Evie,they huddled together in misery. The hours drug on. Evie dozed occasionally but the chair was so uncomfortable it was impossible to rest. The kids finally curled up on the chairs and slept.

Evie slept fitfully but kept an eye on the desk and the comings and goings of the doctors. It was 4 in the morning when a haggard Dr. Phillips pushed his way through the swinging doors and sat down close to Evie. "She's alive. That baby had 3 bad valves in her heart.
    We contacted the sheriff, and he requisitioned Doc Barnes records, brought them over for the team to study. You know all the children are affected?"

Evie whispered "yes, I suspicioned as much. When can we see her?"

"Lady," the doctor replied, shaking his head,"three weeks. We can't risk infection. I want to see the other kids right away, they need to be checked out."

"Two are here, two at home," Evie said brokenhearted. Closing her eyes against the harsh reality, the bright lights and the emotional toll, she was startled when the doctor grabbed her hands and tugged her back to the present.

"Don't you check out on me," he challenged, rubbing her hands roughly. "These kids are gonna need your presence and strength. I'll check these two later this morning. Then bring me the next two as soon as you can."

He looked at the nurse and indicated she was to bring blankets for the clan. Wrinkling her nose at the lingering skunk smell, the overworked woman covered the mis matched family and let them rest.

Wonderful they saved the baby, it takes someone to care enough to help.

thanks for the page and Ms Evie

Thanks for the great read. The reality of what will happen to the children in a collapse is heart-aching.

The trio had a corner of the ER waiting room all to themselves. The skunk odor was more pronounced the longer Evie went without another shower. The nurse, tired of fielding complaints from other clients, arranged for a room and required them to clean up.

Dr. Phillips was observing the clan; and when they didn't go for breakfast he consulted the nurse once again. Breakfast was delivered, with instructions to eat in a hurry as he wanted to see the children right away.

Evie started to protest the charity, when she noticed the hungry way the kids were eyeing the tray of food.

"Thank you," she said stiffly. "Thank you's" from Benny and Clora were mumbled around mouthfulls of food. Evie was so hungry, she remembered they hadn't had supper. "Children," she spoke softly as to not alert the sharp eyed, bionic hearing ER nurse; :You must remind me about eating. I can't believe I forgot about supper. I get so nervous and upset, please forgive an old lady."

Clora and Benny were busy filling empty tummy's. They stopped long enough to give Evie a hug, but got right back to the business of eating. The fact that Evie divided up most of her tray so the children would have more; did not escape the notice of Donna Pingree.

The ER waiting room was Donna's world and she ruled with an iron fist. Running a tight ship kept a slew of hurting, unruly people under control. There had to be order, and she was in charge. Most of the time she added, 'and don't you forget it," under her breath. Donna dutifully made notes of the clan's behaviour, as requested by Dr. Phillips.

Clora went first, then Benny went in for checks. Both later reported to Evie that there were three doctors checking on them. It was x-rays, blood draws, stethscopes, until they were sick and tired of the whole process. There were consulations, hemming and hawing, the thumping of papers and sometime heated arguements and eventually the children were discharged back to the waiting room.

By the time the kids came back through the doors, Evie was sick with worry. Worry about Jane, worry about Benny and Clora, worry about Brett, and especially worry about Hap and the two younger Appertons at home without heat and food. She had worn a trail around the ER room, until Donna was dizzy.

Sheriff Will opened the ER door just in time to hear Donna ordering Evie to go sit down or she was gonna throw her outside. Evie took a deep breath and was about to give Donna a leveling blast, when her arm was grabbed and she was spun around and marched back in the corner.

Will hissed, "sit down. Dr. Phillips will be here shortly." Evie looked up in alarm, and Will replied in a low voice, "yes, they asked me to be here. I am, now sit down." and he tugged gently, guiding Evie back into the orange plastic seat.

Instead, Dr. Phillips motioned them into his office, and closed the door. "The three children we have examined, and operated on the youngest, all have severe heart valve conditions. I have to assume the other two are impacted in a similiar way. I am asking you for permission to treat, as you seem to have custody."

Evie rubbed her face to clear the cobwebs. "Doctor Phillips" she began formally, "My son may or may not be the children's father. Sue Apperton their mother....." Evie teared up against her will. "Sue left the children two months ago with this authorization." Out of her bottomless pockets came the piece of notbookpaper that Sue wrote giving Evie permission to have and care and control the children."

Dr. Phillips reached for the letter and read it completely. Finished, he handed it to Will. Will skimmed the paper, nodding and handed it back to Evie.

"Sue Apperton has not been located," Will informed them. "She has dropped out of sight. We need to get on this Evie," Will looked at her calmly."These kids are sick, and the sooner the better."

"Will," Evie practically whispered; "We have no money. No money" she emphasised. "How can I say no, how can I pay?" wringing her hands, Evie so urgently needed to get up and pace.

"The hospital foundation has agreed to waive the room costs, and the doctors have agreed to perform the surgeries gratis," Phillips ran his fingers through his short cropped hair. "But only," he cautioned, "if the work is done in a timely manner. Meaning soon," he clarified for the nervous old lady's benefit.

Evie slumped in the chair. "Anything for the children," she whispered. "Anything." Evie hated dealing with Dr. Phillips. He was the symbol of all the pain and suffering she knew lay ahead for the whole family. "Will," she questioned, "if this came from our side of the family, what about Brett and Patty?"

Will nodded his understanding, "don't worry. They will be checked." The sheriff looked at Doc. and the medical man agreed silently.

"Evie, let me take you and the kids home. I know you are fretting about leaving Hap this long. Doc, can we button this up for now?" Will questioned, already standing to move the situtation along. Phillips yawned, and then covered his mouth belatedly. "Sorry," he said tiredly; "long night. Oh, yeah. Have the kids here on Wednesday."

"Ok," Evie acquiesced quietly. "Will, the children and I would appreciate a ride home." With her mind humming in a dozen different directions, Grandmother Evie sat in the car unable to coherently focus on one single topic. The boys naturally thought riding in the sheriff's car was great fun, all the way home they begged Will to use the lights and siren. Clora and Inky retained their dignity, ignoring those clunky boys. Will regretted the offer of a ride, he had forgotton about Inky and the skunk.

Will noticed the smoke the closer they got to the Hanson house. Huge billowing clouds of thick black smoke.

oh dear.. Cliff again???? Excellent story!

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

Oh i sure hope it isnt coming from Evies home.

Benny and Brett yelled for joy when Will hit the lights and siren. The noise startled Evie, jerking her awake. Inky started howling to the warble, and Clora covered her ears with her hands.

As they skidded to a stop; the first thing Evie noticed was Hap Hanson standing in the yard in his union suit. His attention fixed on the roof, where neighbor Everett Wilson was directing a garden hose down the chimney.

The smoke dwindled and then stopped, and Ev flipped the hose on the ground. Carefully he backed down the water slickened metal roof, and climbed down the ladder.

"Mizz Evie, Will," Everett greeted them while wiping his hands and face with a huge red bandana. "Seems the young'ens went to start a fire with ashpalt shingles. A wonder they didn't burn the house." A huge stream of tobacco juice landed in the dusty mud.
    Evie stepped back, not wanting to step in the spit. "Mizz Evie," he scolded, "why didn't you come tell me you'ns was out of wood. You know I'm more than happy to work wood for you."

Mizz Evie gave Ev a tired smile. "Thank you Ev. I can't thank you enough for saving our house. I'm so thankful Hap and the kids are OK".

Sandra and Zander carefully guided Hap over to the group. It was clear that the old man was confused as he greeted both men with named of his former cronies that were long passed on.

"Hap dear," Evie tried to bring Hap to the present. "You remember Sheriff Will and our neighbor Everett, they are here to help us. Just what we need on a fine Sunday morning. How about we get you dressed, so you don't get cold?" Guiding Hap toward the house as she was talking, Evie was stopped by Zander who pointed to her chest, and made a rocking motion with his arms. He wanted to know where Janey was.

"In the hospital, honey. Jane is a very sick girl." Zander stepped back and then nodded. Fear and confusion clouding his face. "I'll tell you soon," Evie promised. "I need to get Papa Hap in some clothes."

Zander giggled. Hap Hanson wore his much to large union suit flapping in the breeze. Tall and thin, the old man looked like a scarecrow with an over large set of clothes. As Evie led Hap into the house; Ev and Will were having a private conversation off to the side.

Neither man was aware Hap had progressed so far into his problem, and they discussed what they might do.

"Me and the misses'ell come over later," Ev promised. "I'll cut wood, and she'll clean house." "Mizz Evie is a right straight up housekeeper, but she's got a handful for sure."

Will debated in sharing the scope of Evie and Hap's problems, and then conferred with Ev. It was going to take more than them, to help the older couple weather the impending storm. "She's prideful and a might touchy about help," Ev spit again. "I been trying to cut wood for them right along, but she wouldn't let me when they run out of things to pay back with." A second spit, "You knows sheriff, I'd do anything I could to help them get along."

"Your a good man Ev," Will clapped the lanky man on the back. "I know I can count on you to keep an eye on them for me."

Everett Wilson nodded. "Me and Cheryl be over in the afternoon." He added slowly; "we'll bring some grub, they don't look like they been eat'in regular."

"I think your right Ev. I think your right." the sheriff agreed. They might have shared more, but the radio in the cruiser sparked to life with a request for the sheriff to call in.

Ev called to the kids and they headed for the woodshed. He hefted his chainsaw and gas can from his pickup as he walked by. They had wood to make.

OH NO! Not a fire too. Do you remember a TV show back in the 1950's, Queen For A Day? I was just a kid but it was so sad. I don't remember how many women would come on the show and tell their sad stories and whoever had the worst story won. Evie would win.

I remember the show. If you won money, they would deduct an amount for each piece of dirty laundry they found in your house. I watched one show where the lady went into minus territory.

I'm trying to show that Evie is one person. That during personal hard times, the problems will stack up one after the other. No regard if you feel capable of handling them or not.

thanks for the new pages, when is Evie going to spend some of that money

The angry, biting whine of the chainsaw split the air. Ev cut 18" chunks of pine, fir and tamarack. Hap had a truckload of logs delivered several years ago, but had never gotten around to bucking it up into rounds. Little hands helped gladly, anxious for the approval the grinning, happy man freely gave. Ev split several rounds into chunks and had the children carry them in the house.

Evie got Hap in the bedroom ready to help him into clothes when he declined, and asked to take a nap. He got into bed and she soothed the covers over his shoulders. "Are you sure your tired," she asked. "I am," he mumbled. "Real tired."

Evie walked back into the kitchen. Water had splashed down into the fireplace insert and run in rivelets onto the floor. The stench of burned tar was stronger than the skunk smell had been. Evie thought her problems were like bananas, they came in large bunches.

Evie opened the windows to let the spring breeze in and the stench out. The children had tried so hard. They had helped themselves to one of the bread pans of oatmeal for supper and breakfast. At least they had eaten. Evie took the pan outside and spooned the remains into Inky's bowl. The huge black dog rewarded her with a slobberly hand lick. Standing there watching the dog gulp down the oatmeal, she really inspected the dog for the first time. Inky had a rough, ill kept coat and his backbone was sticking up like little mountains. He had four times more hide than he had body. Inky was starving, just like the rest of them. Another sigh. They needed to feed Inky more, and Evie had to find a way.

With heartful compassion, Evie reached out and touched the Newfoundland on the head. Together they read each others eyes. The communication passed between them and a bonding happened. They had children to protect. A common goal. Evie had a friend she could confide in. Sometimes the pressure and despair was more than she could handle, just to tell a sympathetic ear was a measure of healing. God always came first for her troubles and triumphs, but Inky was next. And she told him so. Another huge, slurpy lick on her hand was appreciated.

As she worked, Evie missed Jane. Praying aloud, she swept, mopped and scrubbed the scorched smelling kitchen. She was just getting into the fire box to shovel out the ash slurry when Zander tapped her on the shoulder. Holding his left hand out, he had a splinter in his forefinger from handling wood.

"Ohh, let me wash my hands. That doesn't look too bad Zander, I think it will come out easy," Evie spoke over her shoulder as she washed and dried her hands. Using a sewing needle, she flicked the splinter out and gave the boy a hug. Zander's stomach growled and Evie teased him a bit with a tickle.

"Sounds to me like I need to make lunch," Evie remarked. Zander looked so solumn, huge blue eyes looking out of a four year old's body. Slowly he smiled and nodded, then reached up and patted Evie on the cheek. "It will be a little bit, I need to clean the fire box so we can have a fire," she offered. Zander rubbed his tummy, smiled and went hopping outside.

Evie built the fire and it crackled and popped, a sound so familiar and welcome. She greased the huge old Griswald and cut slices of congealed oatmeal and started them to frying. In a smaller pan she browned flour, added a dollop of oil and made a roux for gravy. There was the re-mixed dried milk and Evie stirred up a double amount of gravy. The kids dug into the plates with gusto.

The rice that had been left overnight in the pan had solidified and looked awful so it went into Inky's bowl and he looked at it in hungry distress. Everett was astonished at the meal he was invited to share. He didn't say anything, praised the cooking and went home to tell his wife the neighbors were in dire straits.

"No matter what she says," Ev told Cheryl, "she needs help to feed those kids." Cheryl smiled and added more beans to the already huge pot of chili. She measured out a double pan of cornbread, and packed two quarts of home made dill pickles in the box.

The Apperton kids stared in wonder at the huge pot that Everett brought into their house. "What is that?" Benny asked with itching curiosity. "Chili and cornbread and dills," Everetts booming voice filled the quiet house. "Supper." he handed the pot on the insert, and checked the fire for the proper amount of heat, banking it down so the thick mixture wouldn't burn.

Evie fretted and turned to tell Cheryl she and Hap could feed them, when Cheryl with the familiarity of a long time neighbor interupted her. "Evie, it's time to smile and say thank you," she chided.

Evie managed a small smile and a somewhat louder "Thank you."

Evie set the table so that was done, and she was talking to Cheryl over a cup of tea; when the thump of the ax was interupted by shrieking, screaming and laughter. Brett and Benny had found a snake.

God Bless good carin neighbors. Thank you.

Let me guess. With Evie's luck the snake just has to be poisonous.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

hopefully it is some good rattler for some protein

Evie and Cheryl stood at the open window and listened with amusement at the circus erupting out of the woodshed. Everett found the snake first. A beautiful green striped garter snake that he hid and then jumped out at the older boys. Hollering in fright, they soon picked up the snake and started chasing the girls.

Evie treasured the laughter and play. It had been so long since the children had just been children.

Rather than call a halt to the roughhousing, Cheryl said " lets call them in to wash. I bet we could sell some supper, real easy. The poor snake might die of fright if we don't rescue it." Everett returned the snake to it home area, and shoo'd the kids toward the house.

Cheryl had her own poignant moment listening to Everett. God had not blessed them with children, and she heard that longing in her husbands voice as he romped with the kids. Everett arrived in the house with Zander on his shoulders, acting like a two legged horse; whinnying, prancing,and bucking just a little. Zander was holding on tight, his small voice yelling "giddup, horsey."

Everett reached up to bring the child down from his high perch. Holding Zander in front of his scratchy, straggled bearded face he pretended amazement that Zander could talk. "Why, you do talk. Here I thought you'ens was a rock. A lump of dirt or maybe a little snake," Ev wiggled the thin little boy in a snake fashion. Putting Zander on the floor, the youngster scampered away to wash.

Everett had been very observant during lunch. He had two bars of soap in his coat pocket. He went to wash with the children and unwrapped the gold colored bars. Making the shushing sound, he asked the kids to be silent about the soap and to use it. After all, nobody takes back used soap.

The hungry group ate hearty. Cheryl was dumbfounded at the amount of chili that dissapeared. She had no idea small children could eat like that. The boys went back over the cornbread pan and used wet fingers to pick up the stray crumbs. Ev smiled at their antics. His granny had made great cornbread and he remembered doing the same thing.

With full bellies the children were sleepy as soon as they finished supper. The last two nights had been hard nights of short sleep. The evening light was fading as Evie and Cheryl tucked the kids into the blanket beds. They all said a prayer for Jane, asking for healing and strength for the smallest Apperton.

Brett felt so much like family now he relaxed and fell asleep, dismissing the strained conversation he had with his dad with no further thought.

Cheryl and Ev gathered up the pots and pans and stowed them in the pickup. Cheryl put the plates on to soak in warm water while Evie settled the kids and looked in on Hap. Sneaking a peek in the cupboards she stared in consernation at the small amount of food stored. Quietly she opened all the cupboard doors to check what was in stock. It was easy to see there was nothing but a few surplus and food bank supplies in the house.

Cheryl still had a shocked look on her face when Ev came in to collect her for the ride home. He started to ask what was wrong but she shook her head no, and he nodded in understanding.

Hap was awake, but unresponsive when Evie asked him to come to supper. He finally told her a faint "No," and Evie let it be, not wanting to cause a scene with neighbors in the house. Hap made her so frustrated at times, Evie wanted to be cross with him. But not now.

Evie closed and locked the door after waving goodbye to the Wilsons. She noted that Inky had cleaned the rice and was ready to settle down against the door. Evie crawled into bed, her exhausted bones creaking with aches and pains as she relaxed into sleep.

Everett and Cheryl had quite a discussion on the way home. They talked about the lack of food, and the health of Hap, Evie and the kids. Ev had been told about the youngest child's emergency surgery the night before. "She left a six and a four year old home with Hap." Cheryl sputtered unbelieveingly. "To watch over him and to feed themselves. It's a wonder they didn't burn the house down."

"It was close," Ev admitted. "The kids couldn't find any wood and they thought the shingles would do. What I don't understand," and he reached for the turn signal to turn into their drive, "Evie and Hap have always had a great pantry and food put away. Now they have nothing. It's cleaner than if vultures had invaded. Sort of a mystery. And how come they have those kids? Where are the parents for heavens sake. Isn't that littlest boy a crackerjack? I thought maybe he couldn't talk, but he sure did tonight.

The Wilsons entered their small but well supplied home and each thought of the blessings they had.

Sounds like maybe they need to combine households - Ev and Cheryl with Evie, Hap and the Appertons.

Love, love, love this story!
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

QUOTE=PacNorWest;4226638]I remember the show. If you won money, they would deduct an amount for each piece of dirty laundry they found in your house. I watched one show where the lady went into minus territory.

I'm trying to show that Evie is one person. That during personal hard times, the problems will stack up one after the other. No regard if you feel capable of handling them or not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know you are right. Sometimes no matter how well prepared you try to be, things happen (Betty's thieving and Hap's illness) and life can turn into a house of cards right before your eyes. Hopefully the neighbors will end up being the light at the end of the tunnel for those children.

You sure tell a good story and I need more of this one. Thanks PNW

thanks for the new chapter

thanks
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Ah nice thank you.

"Grandma, Grandma," Clora yelled through the bedroom door; "can I open the window. It stinks so bad in here. Benny and Brett are farting."

Refreshed by an entire night's sleep, Evie had to laugh aloud. Leave it to kids. "Sure," she hollered back.

"Hey! watcha doing that for, it's cold in here," Brett objected loudly.

"Stop, and I'll close the window," Clora said reasonably.

"Stop what" questioned Benny as he circled around the back of his sister, close enough to made good use of a 'silent but deadly."

"Eu'wee, Grandma, make them stop." Clora pleaded. "Boy's are nasty!"

Evie laughed again and stretched. Hap was snoring, undisturbed by the talking, so it was going to be another one of 'those days' for him.
    Someone banged open the back door, and Evie heard Inky's nails scrambling on the old plank floor. Shortly, all the kids were up and chasing the dog around the living room. Inky woofed, and it sounded like the game was reversed.

Evie decided today would be the day to divide the kids up between the two spare bedrooms. Girls in Inga's old room; and boys in Pete's. There was too much devilment when they bunked all together. Maybe time for a good old fashioned cleaning, that should tame them down a bit.

All night long her mind had been sub conciously thinking about using some of the money to pay the electric bill. The notion was still with her, it just had to be chewed a bit and all the ramifications thought out. It was just Evie's way of doing solutions to big problems.

She could go to the utility office when they went to town on Wednesday for Zander and Sandra's examination. OK, good way to handle that problem, she told herself. Maybe she should take more, and buy some groceries. Having food in the house was Evie's security. She just knew she had a different attitude and ability to face Claude, when she didn't have to depend on him for supplies. Ok, she could do that. The wagon would help move Zander and help with the food on the way back. Good solution, she told herself.

Dressed with her hair pinned up; Evie opened the bedroom door to see a carnage. Inky was wet. He had been in the creek right before coming inside. Wet muddy pawprints were everywhere. Stricken children froze in place, expecting the worst. The blankets were covered in mud, wet dog skunk smell and excited dog slober.

"Inky, OUT," she ordered; and the kids and dog scrambled to obey. "Bring those blankets to the laundry room, kids get dressed and wash up for breakfast," Evie shot orders right and left.

It was a perfect morning. Housecleaning commenced with a vengance. By the time lunch rolled around, tired, quiet kids ate with out fooling around. Zander was practically asleep in his plate, Sandra was yawning behind her hand, and Brett and Benny were out of horseplay. Clora helped Evie clear the table.

"Boy's I would like you to go fishing. Inky needs food. Clora, would you help me put Zander down for a nap. Sandra you can either nap or have a quiet time. Clora, thank you so much for helping with the table. What would you like to do this afternoon? How about a little time off?" Evie got a huge beaming smile.

"I want to go fishing," Clora thought out loud. "I like the water."

"Allright," Evie agreed. "Take Inky with you. I suggest you stay away from the boys, for obvious reasons," she added.

Clora smiled and nodded knowingly. "Boys, those two are sure clunky."

"Clunky?" repeated Evie, not understanding the term.

"Boys are clunky" Clora shrugged. "They just are."

Evie smiled. Long ago in a far away place, she remembered having a similar conversation with her mother. Evie had four brothers that tormented her life with pranks and snippits of misery. Two of her brothers were gone, as were her parents. She only kept track of one brother; the other married to a woman who insisted he renounce his common type family.

Kent, the 'good' brother lived in the East. Maryland, the last time she had heard from him. It had been a spell for sure; but the way the mail situtation was, it was a miracle the mail got delivered.

Mail. Evie's mind recalled the unread mail in her pocket. Deep in the apron pocket, she retrieved the slim packets. One thing for sure, she chuckled, there was no more 'occupant and bulk' mail. If it was delivered to you, it was ment for you.

Puzzled, she turned the large business type envelope over. In the corner, in heavy embossed script was the name Havens, Hartley and Weinbom, Attorneys at Law. It was addressed to her as Mrs. Evangaline Hanson. Funny, no one called her anything but Evie. The envelope was thick with papers, Evie sat down on the porch chair and proceeded to open the envelope.

Eyes focused on the past Evie let the news sink in, Kent had died. There was a huge sadness inside her, as she remembered the brother she had been most fond of. So many years between the last time she had seen him. Why he would be an old man now. After all, she was an old woman and Kent was a year older. In the envelope was a check for $1000. Lord help her, her first thought when she saw the check, was that it would provide perfect cover for the money hidden away.

Kind of a bad way to get good news, but it will sure help.

Another blessing yes even though it was by losing her brother.

# 64
    Evie murmured a prayer for Kent; asking God to rest his soul. According to the papers Kent had never married, he had run a small fishing boat business. Not a wealthy man, just a contented one. In the copy of Kent's will, no mention was made of their other brother Ron; so Evie had no clue as to his whereabouts. Just to be on the safe side, Evie said a prayer for Ron and his family, where ever they might be.

Sitting in the warm sun was theraputic for Evie. The spring day soaked into her bones and evened out the highs and lows that had been happening lately. It was a good time and place for prayer, and Evie made good use of the blessing.

Clora and Inky were the first to show back from their mini vacation. Clora sat with Evie and they talked softly about the upsets in her life; and how God was in charge. Clora was so worried about Jane, she spoke of the gnawing in her stomach and how she was so afraid for them all.

Evie had to be honest with the worried child, telling her she couldn't promise everything would turn out allright; only that Evie and Hap would do all in their power to help the whole Apperton family.

"Are we Apperton's or are we Hanson's," Clora wanted to know. "How or when will we know who we are. Do you know where our mother is? I am so afraid she won't come back. Why did she leave?"

"I don't know honey. I can't answer any of those questions. I'm afraid time will be the answer. We have to wait for these problems to sort themselves out." Evie gave Clora a long hug. Holding the thin child she rested her chin on the girl's head and they stood together for a long time, enjoying eachother's company.

Clora wasn't satisfied with Evie's answers; but it was, what it was. It was to be accepted, like so many other things in her brief life.

Shadows had started to lengthen when Brett and Benny came trudging up the path. The successful fisherman had a long stringer of sunfish for Inky's supper. As a surprise for Evie they also had a nice stringer of bass for the people's supper.

"Oohh," Evie was properly impressed with the riches. "Let me show you how to clean and take care of these." she wanted all kids present to learn what to do with nature's bounty. " If you harvest, you take care of the crop," she instructed, as she sharpened a long thin knife for filleting. "Tomorrow, we will be practicing knife sharpening. No pushing, or playing around. This is important business."

With the children watching intently, she expertly ran the knife along the back bone of the bass, skimmed lightly over the rib bones and flipped a nice plank of fish on the cutting board. Grasping one end of the fillet, with a swift sure stroke, Evie separated the meat from the tough skin.

"Neat, Grandma, show us again. I want to do that. Benny I bet I can do that better than you can," Brett challenged.

"None of that," Evie warned sternly. "This is not a race or a competition."

Clora was looking out the window. "Grandma, there's a lady walking up the driveway."

Now what?

probably that social worker.... and here Evie is teaching them to play with knives!

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

LOL