Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Count your blessings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hmmmm Wonder where Inga is. Could someone be holding her captive, like maybe gunnar? Don't think she would have left them worried like this.
    Poor Wayne being in the middle of Junior trying to attack an owl. That was to, to funny.
    Thank you very much Pac. Now I'm ready for more.

Thank you so much, Pac! You are such an amazing talent! I'm worried that Inga is being held somewhere too, but have no idea who or where.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Thank you Pac!

I'm wondering....is Gunnar the Mint Man and does he have Inga?
    Visit me on Etsy: ModernMaille

Pac,
    I have been reading your facinating stories here for sometime and this is the first time I wrote to thank you. I know how much energy it takes to write and you have had many speed bumps coming your way of late. Thanks again, I do appreciate your fertive imagination.

I'm thinking that mint man is Oriental, but then again, Gunnar could be an Oriental man as well. That would be a perfect Pac twist, although I must admit - Gunnar has always been tall and blond in my imagination

Evie spent a miserable rest of her night. Her toe throbbed with every heartbeat, bringing her the night sweats and a headache from feeling so angry at Junior. Hobbling into the kitchen, she found Ben and Wayne sitting drinking coffee. The dogs were out of sight, thank goodness for them.

Ben looked at the swollen big toe. "Grandma, do you have Epsom Salts in the house?"

At her nod, he went to the bathroom closet and brought out a box that probably came over on the Mayflower. "How old is this stuff, I can't say it will be useful. Wayne, rustle up a pail for me please." Ben put a large kettle of water on the stove to heat.

"Would you like me to re perk the coffee for you?" he asked Evie, putting the pot back on the stove before she could answer.

Evie smiled and patted his arm as Ben passed by. "I may have to go out to a doctor," Evie said reluctantly. "This toe is swelling terribly. A soak in Salt will surely help." or she sure hoped so.

Wayne appeared with a clean bucket dripping water, as he had hastily washed it out. Ben took a fistful of Epsom Salts and filled the bucket half full. "Let's start with warm water, and add more as it heats," Ben suggested.

Evie agreed, and soon her foot was shoved in the increasingly hot water. It felt so good.

"Where the heck is Clora?" Ben growled in frustration. He needed to be out looking for Inga, not back at the ranch heating water.

"Over at Ev's, helping with the butchering. If you two go over and help, it would be over sooner than later." Evie said reasonably. Ben poured her a mugful of syrupy tar other wise known as Grandma's coffee, and added more hot water to the bucket.

"Let me run back into town and get Lainey, she can stay and help you. Grandma,. Wayne and I need to look for Inga. There is no trace of her anywhere." Ben sighed and turned a worried look at Evie.

Grandma nodded her agreement, returning Ben's gaze with her own. "Inga is moody, but this isn't like her. Be careful, did you get any info on the plan we looked at last night?"

"Enough to know it was super dangerous spy type stuff and I'm real glad it's out of my hands. I sent it to the FBI, glad to be rid of it." Ben dusted his hands in a it's done with motion.

"Wayne, how about you get the horses ready and I'll run back and get Lainey?"

Wayne drawled "sure, I'll make a couple of sandwiches and get a couple of canteens. Grandma, can I make you one while I'm at it?"

Evie really didn't want Wayne making her a sandwich with his dirty hands but she acquiesced quietly, thinking she could feed it to Junior later, if necessary.

Evie carefully considered her choices, sandwich before Wayne groomed the horses, or after. The before won out. Try as hard as she might, Wayne was still a little shy around soap and water.

"I would like that," she drew Wayne in the direction she wanted him to go. "There is bread in the keeper, beef in the fridge and soap by the faucet."

Wayne smiled to himself, the old gal was good, but pretty transparent when she was trying to be over tactful.

Oh yeah yuk, wash your hands Wayne. Where is Inga? Thank you for another step closer Pac.

Thank you much Pac.

Ben hot footed it back to town to get Lainey. She was deep into the pantry, stacking and marking cans, boxes and bags of food. On the whole, it was a pitiful amount. Ben was waylaid by a group walking down the street in front of the cafe. They looked like the refugee's they were. A couple had wheelbarrows, there was a wagon or two, and a baby jogging stroller carrying the few possessions they couldn't stand to leave behind.

They were on the way out; out to anywhere that would provide a better chance than they had by staying in Evergreen.

Like the wagon trains of yore, these new pioneers had to wait for the current snow to melt, and wanted to be on their way before it snowed again in the fall. Only Will, Cassy and Willie remained.

Lainey straightened up when she heard the back door open, turning around to see who was entering, and promptly smacking her forehead on the protruding shelf.

Staggering out of the pantry, she made it to a chair with stars dancing before her eyes. Ben had gone to the front room, probably looking for her. Lainey started to call to him, when she saw the group outside talking with the Sheriff.

Someone was in the cafe, and suddenly wary prudence snapped her mouth shut. Lainey stood up and edged her way around the table and slipped out the door.

Ben was standing in the road, watching the last few residents trudging around the corner and start up the logging road. No one looked back, no one waved goodbye.

At the movement behind him, Ben turned around to see Lainey sprint away from the cafe. Beckoning wildly, she motioned him to duck behind the brick wall. Breathless, she pulled him close and whispered in his ear. "Someone is in the cafe. They walked in when I was in the pantry and went down toward the exam rooms." Her eyes were big with fright and concern that Ben had to go discover who had so boldly entered the cafe/clinic. "Do you want me to help?"

"No sweetie. Please stay back here. I can do my job better, when I know you are safe."

"OK," she whispered.

Ben eased open the cafe door, whipping left and right to clear the walls behind the door. Silently he moved across the kitchen floor to pass the open pantry. Repeating the drill, he went down the hall securing the empty rooms. The last room was occupied. Inga lay on the bed, her face, neck and arms a mass of purple black bruises. The tiny blonde had been severely beaten. Her once clean, shiny hair was a matted mess of twigs, dirt and gore.

Both eyes were swollen shut, her nose bleeding and her lips split and bleeding. Covered in bramble scratches, dirt caked under her fingernails and torn clothing, Inga had thoroughly worked over by the hands of a madman.

Ben backed out of the room and sprinted down the hall to yell for Lainey. Lainey peeked around the corner and started forward when he motioned.

"Come help," Ben urged frantically, "It's Inga, she has been hurt."

Lainey collected a couple of towels and a pan of water under Ben's direction, and hustled into the room.

"This is not a hurt, this is a near murder," Lainey muttered under her breath as she dipped the cloth in the warm liquid to begin washing Inga's face.

"Look's like it," Ben agreed. "She has really been worked over. And, look at this." The small puncture mark on Inga's hand was directly behind a small lump, on the opposite hand the previous lump had been.

Holding his finger to his lips to forestall any remarks by Lainey, Ben used his super sharp belt knife, sliced a small cut and popped the kernel out on the bedspread. Shaking his head for silence, Ben gathered the whitish lump with his hanky and put it on the dresser.

Lainey worked carefully, laying a cooler cloth over Inga's eyes as she mopped the bruised and scuffed face. Together she and Ben cleaned inch by inch. Inga moaned and cried a little when Ben went to move her right arm. He stopped and looked to Lainey, and closed his eyes briefly. Probably broken.

Ben got up to pace up and down the hallway. Raging under his breath, he called on the hounds of hades to cause destruction to the person that had beaten Inga. Then he raged about the helplessness he felt, the inability to move Inga out to medical care, the lack of fuel to run a emergency vehicle, the dark web of intrigue and violence causing the destruction they were experiencing.

There was a noise out side in the street. Clop, clop, clop. Wayne had come with the horses, looking for Ben. Tying the geldings to the porch railing, Wayne shrugged with the casual attitude non-horse people have toward securing horses to a part of a house.

Sherman and Patton immediately started trimming the overgrown rosebushes jammed into the narrow garden by the back door.

Ben jerked the door open and waved Wayne down the hall. The scene spoke for itself. All Wayne could do was shake his head at the uselessness of the action against Inga. "We need to get her and Lainey out to Grandma's so we can guard them. How will we ever get Inga out there in her condition?" Ben wondered, feeling defeated by the magnitude of the problem.

"On a sled," Lainey said, as she worked on Inga's arm. "She's small enough to fit on a large sled, wrapped in a blanket and held on with tarp straps."

Ben and Wayne stopped in mid motion to stare at the woman working so feverishly. "She's right," Wayne drawled. "I'll get one from the hardware, some straps also."

It was the right solution at the right time. Inga went out to the homestead on a Flexible Flyer, cushioned with pillows held on by tarp straps.

Evie stood up and slowly scooted the bucket of cool water across the floor with her foot. Throwing down a dish towel, she went to step out of the water when she looked up the driveway as Ben blew three short whistle blasts. There was a pause and three more blasts.

Evie knew there was an incoming problem. Across the pasture, both Clora and Sandy responded with the answering number of whistle sounds. Immediately they started running. Sandy quickly outdistancing Clora who was nursing a jammed big toe, as she sorta jumped and hopped back to the Grandma's.

When Evie discovered what the frenzy was about, she turned white and wobbly kneed and had to sit down.

Wow poor inga, than you Pac.

Poor Inga, what a beating she took. Sounds to me like maybe someone else was also in the clinic. Inga seems in such bad shape could she have gotten herself there by herself or did someone bring her in and then hid before Ben came back in with Lainey. Hope Inga comes around soon so she can tell them who did this to her.
    Thank you Pac for this riveting chapter.

Why did Inga get beat up? The papers were gone before she knew they were there, and whoever was watching knew they were gone when the helicopter left.

Or did Inga know about the papers and did she know it was Gunnar and was it Gunnar?

When Lainey heard the back door opening was someone coming in or was someone going out?

Poor Inga. Great story Pac.

Thank you!!! some great updates!

Poor Inga! Someone had to bring her there, no way she could have walked in there so quietly on her own? So who was it? The mystery mint man?

Thanks for the new chapter

She...confused as ever LOL
    Being PC will be the death of us all yet!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "But we've got to have faith or we have nothing. We have to have faith in our God, our resolve, our cause and our brother patriots."
    Black, Leo - The Last Stand on Earth.

#17a
    "Grandma, I need you and Lainey to cut Inga's clothes off. We need to check her for internal injuries. Tell me, how much damage did she have from her fall? Does she have a spleen?" Benny was using his training to do an initial check on his aunt.

"I...I don't know," Evie stammered. "Inga never talked about the fall except I know she couldn't have children. One of the horses fell on her, it must have been awful."

"Ain't gonna be any picnic now," Ben said under his breath. Straightening up he helped Lainey by supporting Inga as they rolled her to the right to pull the dirty, bloody clothes from under her. Evie slightly bumped Inga's right arm and was rewarded with a hurting moan.

"I believe it's broken, see the bruise and swelling just above the elbow." Ben turned his back briefly as the women slid the clothes of Inga and covered her with a sheet.

"Grandma, do you have a piece of paper and a pen? I want Lainey to write down the problems as I find them. The first thing I want to check is her spleen. See, she is very tender here," Inga tried to turn away from Ben's gentle probing. "I've got to say that there is so much scar tissue, I can't really tell." Ben sat back on his heels and absently rubbed his forehead. He went to adjust his hat, forgetting that he had taken it off.

"This is a major trauma and she needs to be in a doctor's care." Ben went to stand beside his Grandmother. "Lainey, honey, does your offer still stand? Would your Dad fly her out to a hospital?"

Evie wobbled once again, and Ben supported her over to a chair that Sandy rushed into the room.

"I believe so," Lainey said slowly, "Can we use the radio to reach the paper? Dad is always in contact with them. Are you sure Ben, does everyone here agree? Do they understand what will happen? Please talk about it, I'll stay here with Inga while you give them the pro's and con's. I am afraid of this, I don't want you'all to hate me."

Clora looked strangely at Lainey, and Lainey gave her a half smile, shaking her head. "Go listen to Ben," Lainey urged. "You need to make this decision as a family."

Clora listened to Ben as he told about what the consequences might be if Kent Lawrence was alerted to the story about Pete.

"Why don't we," Clora cut into Ben's monologue, "get in touch with Borg Linderman? He's enough of a mover and shaker to be able to get Inga flown out of here. Grandma?"

Evie understood what Clora was asking, she wanted to know if Evie had enough money to pay for a flight. "In a heartbeat," Evie replied firmly. "Excellent suggestion Clora. Ben," she looked at the tall, handsome young man, "make it happen."

The Hanson clan individually was relieved down to the bottom of their feet. Nobody wanted to be the dissenting voice to prevent the involvement of Kent, but no one wanted him; once Ben explained what the reporter might do.

"OK, will do. I'll take a horse into town to get there faster. Clora, do you remember how to get ahold of Borg?"

"No, not really. How about going through the State Police, or maybe Jennings?"

"Jennings it is, we have kept in contact, so he will be easy to reach. Give me a hour," he requested as he walked out the door.

Lainey was secretly relieved beyond words; she didn't want her father involved. Lainey motioned to Clora and Sandy to come back into the bedroom, "Look, she whispered. "Inga came back with a fresh kernel in the back of her hand and Ben took it out."

Pac, thank you so much for continuing to intrigue us with all of these twists and turns. I'm so glad they had an option other than Lainey's dad.

Thank you, been waiting for another chapter .

Thank you Pac for more. Now we need to worry that Ben gets to town safe and gets help for Inga on time. I think I felt another gray hair just grow in.

This story is so good and I was sure glad to find a new chapter. Thanks Pac.

#17b
    Jennings responded immediately, telling Ben that his Dad was visiting with Borg that very afternoon. "I'm due to pick him up in about an hour. Let me call him and have Borg stick around till I get there. A beating you say? Is she gonna be alright?

"Touch and go, not good as far as I can tell. There are a couple of other complications I wish you were here to discuss with me." Ben added quietly. "We're talking about moving, the town has died, most have left. Did you get the latest earthquake in Portland?" he inquired.

"No shaker huh? Well that sounds good. Keep your eyes open for a place for all of us, Ev and family included."

"Will do. My Dad will be happy, he has been talking about checking up on your family; thanking them for caring for him. Especially your Grandmother, he was really impressed with her. Hang around the radio for a couple, I'll get back to you as soon as possible." Jennings signed off.

Ben sighed, he hated waiting. As he sat thinking about the day's events, more and more he wandered back to the way Lainey said she heard the door and someone moving down the hall. As he mused, he thought about Inga's condition and the fact there was no way she could have made that walk by herself. There had to be another person involved.

The beater? The person that put a chip back in her hand? Why? For what reason would they need to track and or control Inga since the papers were gone. There had to be something else, some other reason, some other threat he was missing. He paused, idly thinking about the original reason they tore into the trunk.

At that time it had been about some nonsense about diamonds. What if it were true? It had to be an event of fairly major proportions, considering the level of the perpetrators.

Ben was the owner of a thousand questions, and precious few answers. Tied to the radio until Jennings returned his call, Ben finished up all the loose ends of paperwork. He wondered if he would get a paycheck for the last couple of months of work. Ben figured he really didn't have any business thinking about getting married. No job, no current prospects of work, a whole lot more 'no's' than any yesses.

Ben tidied the office, sweeping up the last shards of glass from the broken windows. He cleaned the cells, straightening the beds and checking the supplies.
    Finally, J's voice crackled through the radio. "Ben, you there?"

Leave us hanging lol. Thank you.

ARGH!! I hate to be greedy on a holiday, but more please?
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Ev paused to wipe his brow on his sleeve, merely exchanging muck for muck and a few sweat beads. What ever had called Clora and Sandy home, sure was taking a long time. Busy with butchering the last calf, Ev had to concentrate on what he was doing. Sandy and Wayne came across the pasture, rolled up their sleeves and put their energies into finishing the work..

Sandy filled a couple of dishpans with chunked beef and headed for the house. Cheryl was standing at the sink washing jars, and there was one canner full standing on a cool spot on the stove. Sandy asked Christy to close the door for her please, and mentioned to Cheryl that she needed to rest.

Apologizing for the delay, Sandy slipped Cheryl tidbits of the happening. "Inga is really messed up, somebody beat the living stuffing out of her. Ben didn't come right out and say it, but I don't think he expects her to live. Grandma isn't taking it too well." Sandy recounted in a low voice, trying to keep the gossip away from Christy's ears.

"We kinda thought all this violence and such would stop when Pete was killed, but here it is, carrying on." Sandy stomped her feet in anger. "The thing is, we don't have a clue what this is all about, or why it's happening. Wayne is about to start shooting and ask questions later. Ben has warned him, but Wayne is now convinced that the dude that knifed him was part of this mess and feels he'll be back to finish the score."

"You kids, you be careful over there and keep Evie safe. How are you going to get Inga out to a doctor's care?" Cheryl wanted to know.

"Ben went to call Jennings, to get Borg what's his name, to get us a helicopter to fly Inga to Portland. He's been gone a long time, I hope he can make some connections." Sandy said fearfully. "Inga really is bad."

Talking and working, Sandy emptied the canner and put another seven quarts in to start processing. Hands flying, she chunked, cleaned and filled another 14 sets of jars. She had to place the empty canner on the stove and fill it with a couple inches of water, then load the double rack of jars. Loaded, the canner was too heavy to move, so Sandy scooted it across the cook top.

More jars, more beef and lots of wood. The heat increasing in the cabin and steaming the windows. Christy asked to go outside and play and Cheryl agreed if she would stay on the porch. "Take Ruby with you," Cheryl directed, and said a bit angrily when Christy pouted a bit, "Then stay inside." she ordered. "You know the rules."

"Yes Ma'am," Christy said with a quiver in her voice. "I'll stay on the porch with Ruby. I don't like playing with her. She farts."

Sandy doubled over with silent laughter, giggling until she had tears in her eyes. "Now who does that sound like?" she asked the smirking Cheryl.

"Oh, that's pure Ev," Cheryl agreed. "He thinks it's funny, but one of these days, it won't be."

The tractor started, and Cheryl stood up to see what was going on. "The guys are taking the entrails out to bury them. Evidently they arn't going to butcher the last two. That's OK with me, this is enough work to get done right now."

"Well, things are so up in the air at home, as soon as we are done here I need to go over and help Clora. She has Lainey to help, but that gal's not very fast." Sandy added more wood to the firebox. Sitting at the table the women rested as they listened to Christy playing on the porch.

"Ben, you got a copy?" Jennings repeated his call, the scratchy interference of electrical noise garbling the request.

"I'm here," Ben informed his friend, "with bells on," he gave the all clear signal.

"Incoming in twenty minutes," J repeated the message to be sure Ben heard all of it.

"Thanks man, we owe ya one," Ben promised. "Send the chopper to the ranch." he terminated the call.

Ben hustled out the door and headed for the meeting spot, half afraid that Inga would be gone by the time he got there.

Ben and the helli got there about the same time. The paramedics ran to the house with a stretcher, scooped up Inga and double timed it back to the waiting bird. Inside they began a evaluation as they hovered, and slowly started to rise.

Evie sagged against the house door, holding her arms crossed in front of her. In her heart she knew it would take a miracle, and she got started asking for one. She had never tried praying for an injured person that she couldn't touch, but Inga needed help from the Great Physician, and Evie commenced holding her up in prayer.

This is a scary chapter.

Once a prayer warrior, always a prayer warrior. Evie is doing what she knows to do, bless her.

And thank you, dear Pac, for another exciting chapter. Hope you and Mr. Pac. are not experiencing the heat we here in the heartland are.

Thank you Pac. I am now chewing fingernails wondering what is about to happen next.

Wow.. I'm with debra. Chewing a few nails and waiting for the next part. Thank You, Pac. Poor, Evie.

#19a

It was so quiet in the house with the chopper gone. Children looked at each other, and listened to their Grandmother in her room. Evie was on her knees, praying. Ben took a turn on his knees, lending support to Evie for as long as he could stay. Lainey slipped in the room and kneeled with the diminutive Grandmother.

While the other two prayed with Evie, Clora worked at canning the beef. Late in the afternoon, Clora looked out the window to see Sandy and Wayne walking back to the house. Good, she could use the help. With the wood stove cranked up, Clora had a pot of beans and burger cooking for supper. Dumping in a couple of quarts of canned tomatoes, adding a bit of chili seasoning, she stirred the thick chunky soup. Taking a taste, she added a small amount of garlic and onion powder.

"Man, is that chili and cornbread I smell?" Wayne was starving. "When will it be done?"

"Another 20 minutes or so," Clora reported. "Just enough time for Sandy to wash her hands and set the table. Grandma has started to pray for Inga, so please don't leave until you take a turn."

"Will do," Wayne was happy to help. After all, Grandma prayed for him and whether he wanted to acknowledge it or not, she had changed him. It was just something to accept, how it could be so powerful he didn't know.

Sandy looked at the jars and praised Clora's efforts. "You are really ripping through these. Ev decided to hold off on the other two calves. One is a bull, the other a heifer so he is thinking perhaps he will have the nucleus of another herd."

"A bull, how did he miss that particular situation?" Clora laughed at the face Wayne made as the lanky man shuddered theatrically.

"Dunno," Sandy replied as she set the table and stirred the pot. "That's his problem."

Wayne picked up his bowl and ladled in a huge scoop. "I believe this needs a taste test, how's the cornbread coming?"

"Almost done," Clora spoke as she lifted the lid that was acting as an makeshift oven.

Sound like a yummy meal!

How is Evie's toe where Junior bit her? Hope it's healed up, she don't need that kind of problem right now.

edited to add- it just occurred to me that I'm asking after Evie's health like she's a neighbor that lives right down the road. That is either a testament to Pac's amazing story-telling ability or a hint that I need to get a life.
    Visit me on Etsy: ModernMaille

Life goes on as normal in the kitchen while Evie is in the bedroom praying her world doesn't crash.

Wayne ate his supper like he had been doing hard physical work. Sandy picked at her bowl of chili, preferring to drink several glasses of water instead. Tired, her head drooped until she had to support her chin with her hands. "I've got to go back to Ev's and do the dishes and get Christy to bed, I'll check in tomorrow."

Ben was walking out of the bedroom as Sandy finished her plan. "Wayne or I need to walk you over, we need to be careful with some kinda jerk running around assaulting women." that wasn't a question, Ben laid down the law. No ladies out alone.

Sandy started to object, and then reconsidered. "OK, I know I'm so tired that I'm not as alert as I should be. I appreciate the protection."

Wayne used his spoon to scrape the bottom of his bowl, "Hey, let me finish and I'll walk Sandy over. Ben, are you gonna be here tonight? or do I need to come back?"

"Why don't you come back," Ben sighed. "Ev can protect his place and you can guard here. I have a piece of door glass Will cut for me, I just need a chance to get it out here. Maybe tonight, if nothing has happened in town."

Wayne nodded and went to his room for a long gun. "Come on sisty," he teased Sandy, and was rewarded with a playful swat on the arm. "You still have the shotgun?" he questioned Clora, "I'll whistle when I get near, so don't shoot me."

Clora shook her head. Just one time she had been jumpy on the trigger at things that went 'bump' in the night, now these idiots would never let her live it down. Times like the one's they were experiencing were spooky for a everyone, and now they had some lunatic taking out his frustration on women. "I'll wait for your signal," she said evenly, wrinkling her nose in disdain.

"Good, that's settled." Ben grabbed his hat. "Lainey will be here tonight, I can't have everyone so scattered out. It's too difficult to keep you'all safe."

"What about the horses?" Clora wanted to know.

"I'll catch them on the way back," Wayne said. "They have already headed for the stalls. It looks like Inky and Junior are guarding the front door of the barn." he watched the dogs through the windowless door. There was a disturbance in the air; Wayne could feel it and the dogs were on alert, sniffing the air.

"Com'on kiddo, let's make tracks," he urged Sandy. "Something's brewing, everybody stay safe."

Wayne was back fron Ev's sooner than Clora expected, and she reminded him that she hadn't shot at him. "I restrained myself," she said tongue in cheek.

"Deeply appreciate it," he teased back. "All's cool at Ev's. Whatever is happening, has Ruby spooked. I look to have another earthquake, so sleep clothed tonight."

Clora nodded her agreement and Wayne went back outside to take a patrol around the perimeter of the property.

Lainey came dragging out of the bedroom, looking haggard and drained. "Are you going back to town?" she questioned Ben. "I've been thinking on how I found Inga and I don't believe she could have walked down the hall herself. Another person had to have brought her in. Then, I didn't hear them leave, so they must have been in the clinic."

Ben nodded,"I came to that conclusion. I made a real error when I stopped clearing the clinic when I found Inga. I failed to properly protect you both," he looked miserable.

"That was free experience," Wayne recounted. "Nothing happened,

so there wasn't a cost this time. Bet you never forget that lesson."

"Damn straight," Ben growled as he hastily chowed down a bowl of chili. "Good eats," he praised Clora. "I'd like to take a slab of cornbread with me. Stay safe honey," he admonished Lainey who was standing with her back to the sink. "Keep your gun handy. Fire three times if you need me and don't go outside alone."

"Ben," Lainey stayed his departure with a hand on his arm. "Ben, Grandma's toe looks terrible. She has an infection for sure. I didn't realize it, or I would have insisted she go with Inga. If you get a chance, find a way to get her to a doctor."

The young Sheriff bent his head and rubbed the back of his neck. One more complication that he had no solution to solve it with. "I'll try," he promised as he swallowed hard. "I'll try."

"Clora, we need to do something with Grandma's foot, she is getting a bad infection so what do you suggest?" Lainey turned to get a drink of water.

"Nothing," Evie snapped as she walked to the table. "I'll soak it again, but you are right. It really hurts." Evie's toe was three times it's normal size and hot feeling to the touch. Kids looked at each other over their Grandmother's head. Looks flew back and forth with Clora the ever practical one, going for the bucket and Epsom salts.

"Sit Grandma," she fussed as she prepped the potion. Evie placed her foot in the water and Clora added more hot water.

"Do we have any bacon?" Evie inquired. "I need a couple of slices of fatty bacon, some vinegar and a rag long enough to tie around my foot."

"Why?" Lainey wanted to know.

"It's a draw, a poultice to pull the infection from the wound," Evie grimaced as Clora poured in more hot water and splashed a little on her foot.

"If we don't have, Ev does," Clora remembered what Sandy had told her about the state of the Wilson's pantry. It was a sign of the times that individuals recalled the kind and type of food that was available. They had a small amout of bacon, the fatty end that nobody wanted to eat and Evie wanted to save for flavoring beans. It would do.

Evie better get better. She is the glue of that family.
    Thanks for another great chapter

Poor Evie. I once stepped on a nail that went through my thick hiking boot and into my big toe. A few hours and the pain was horrible, a day later, I woke up in pain so bad I was dreaming I had a bowling ball stuck on my foot.

Great chapter Pac. Eerie chapter, trouble brewing from the known and unknown. I'm on pins and needles and need more please.

Very nice to see them praying with Evie and knowing that her prayers reach the ears of God and He answers them. Good close knit family. I love this story. Thank you Pac.

Poor Evie that really hurts. Thanks Pac.

The brewing happening was a minor earthquake, but more insidious was the curling tendrils of smoke that began floating in the wind. The quake was hardly more than a aftershock, scarcely worth a notice.

Finishing his patrol and pausing on the stoop, Wayne got the first whiff of smoke. Lifting his face to the wind, he turned NNW and saw the faint light over the treetops. Forest fire. A chill went through Wayne as he fought for breath and control. His uncle had tried to burn him alive in his uncontrolled rage, and Wayne had a deeply ingrained fear of fire.

Inky appeared and thrust his nose into Wayne's hand. Just a simple, but sanity restoring act for the semi paralyzed man. Wayne rubbed his hand over Inky's head and shuffled into the house. Inky kinda wedged his body in the door as he wiggled inside and that gave Junior ample opportunity to sneak in under his legs.

Evie watched the clever maneuver, and gave Junior the evil eye as he skirted the table to reach his spot behind the stove. Inky stopped long enough to lay his head on Evie's lap, asking for a pat to show she had forgiven them their trespasses. Evie had to smile and scratch her old friend behind the ears. "You are a good dog," she praised, and Inky wiggled like a pup.

Evie took a good long look at the pure white under Inky's muzzle, and the flecks of white in his once coal black coat "You too," she whispered as what Wayne was saying finally penetrated her reverie.

"A fire," Evie repeated more calmly than she felt. "You say a fire is coming?"

"Yes Gram, on the wind from NNW." Wayne replied with a twinge of fear in his voice.

Evie understood instantly. She had listened to confidences from all the children, and knew of Wayne's fire terror.

"Go alert Ev and family. See what fuel he has; maybe enough to get us over the mountain. We need to be ready to go and travel light."

Wayne left at a trot, Grandma's calm directions did a lot to help him keep control.

Ev answered the door, drawing in the initial smell of smoke as the door swung inward. His head snapped up and he peered intently out into the darkness over Wayne's shoulder. "Forest fire?"

"Yeah. Grandma said to ask if you have any fuel at all?" Wayne looked over his shoulder and gestured toward the NW, so Ev could see the glow.

"Just a little," Ev spat out. "Help me siphon out of old Betsy and put that gas in the crewcab. I've got a five gallon can in the barn, some in the tractor. Maybe a little diesel I can supplement in the tank. Here's a flashlight, I'll get Sandy and Cheryl going on the essentials."

Wayne was as familiar with Ev's layout as the home place, so he headed to the hardware room for a length of hose and a can.

Sandy groaned, rolling off the couch. Of all the things she hated, it was being awakened right after going to sleep. Nothing wanted to function correctly, especially her brain.

Cheryl woke up with an even nastier disposition. She wasn't getting enough sleep and it was telling on her. "What do I want to take in an emergency? how the hell should I know," she grumped as she glared at Sandy.

"Important papers, marriage license, deeds, pictures, Christy?" Sandy jibed in return, trying to shock Cheryl into thinking rationally.

"Oh well, yeah. Christy, the Bible, and the three go bags in the closet. Start coffee and I'll get the thermoses, blankets, jerky and water." Once awake, Cheryl started functioning as the practical woman she was. She went in to wake and dress Christy while Sandy assembled the other items.

By the time the guy's had the fuel transfers done, Sandy had the gear loaded in the pickup. Taking a short length of rope, she tied Ruby in the pickup bed for safety. Christy was put in the pickup front seat, still asleep, wrapped in blankets and with her favorite doll.

Cheryl stood in the cabin door, surveying her kingdom. She had run over this scenario many times in her mind, now when it was for real, she didn't know what to take. The guns, My Lord she had almost forgot the guns. Hollering for Sandy, she unlocked the gun cabinet and threw boxes of ammo into a blanket from the couch.

Sandy had to drag the blanket as the amount of bullets was more weight than she could lift. Wayne materialized out of the darkness and boosted her into the pickup bed, handing up the hobo sack of ammo. Next came the guns, a camp grill and a short barrel of water.

"Get the coffee pot and a skillet, utensils, a wash pan, and a wad of towels with soap," Wayne ordered, helping Sandy down once again.

The smell of smoke was getting stronger, causing Ruby to whine from her enforced capture.

Ev helped Cheryl into the front and shouted into the increasing wind, "We've got to go, NOW!" Wayne and Sandy hopped in the back and Wayne rapped the side of the bed with his hand.

Ev gunned the rumbling old pickup, the roar and pop of the muffler showing it's age.

Evie and her crew had been equally as busy. Directing the retrieval of the money from it's many hiding places using Clora and a battered old brown suitcase, Evie tried to secure their future. Lainey collected the things Grandmother couldn't live without. The Bible, the coffee pot and skillet and a tiny wood box from her dresser.

Lainey and Clora raced to the barn and turned the horses loose, and unlatched the chicken house door on the way back. Clora grabbed a length of rope and fashioned a harness collar for Junior, tying him to the woodshed post. Using pillow cases, they encased their treasures and kept an eye on the pickup as it left Ev's.

Lainey and Clora didn't have much so they helped Evie. The guns were passed to Wayne as the pickup screeched to a stop in a cloud of dust. Evie sat in the second seat with the ratty old suitcase and her Grandmother's cast iron skillet in her lap. She had checked a dozen times to be sure the Bible was in the suitcase. They had coats and shoes and prayers, the dogs and themselves.

Half way to town, they met Ben running out to warn them. He jumped in and yelled at Ev they needed to get Will and Cassy and Willie.
    On to town they roared, stopping in front of the hardware store.

The Pendelton's were ready, their dry goods and groceries were tossed in and Cassy and Willie loaded up in the second seat.

Will drew his coat tightly around his shoulders and held on as Ev took the corner and started up the mountain road. The wind brought smokey air to the group huddled in the back of the pickup. Clora wet bandannas and passed them around, the group nodding their thanks.

The higher the old truck labored up the ridge road, the further they could see the surrounding countryside. The fire was huge and out of control.

This story is always exciting. Thanks Pac

Lord help them, seems the whole world is out to get that poor family. Definitely awaiting the next chapter!

Russell

Oh my goodness. Now a forest fire to effectively clear the town. I hope their homes are spared and they can get their other things, though knowing how resourceful this crew is they will be able to make due with all that 3 households were able load into one pickup truck.

Wow - awful lose to reality for some folks, Pac. Love this story.