Clora stood on the porch thanking the ladies of the church fellowship for coming to the family's rescue; the marathon cleanup after the 'home invasion' a herculean task.

Sandy, Lainey and Cheryl echoed their thanks, standing propped against the porch railing. Heartsick and flooded with emotion, the family gathered at the huge supper table for tea, coffee and tons of goodies brought in for the funeral meal.

Tired and overwhelmed, there was silence except for the children chattering in the corner at their own table.

"Grandma wouldn't like us moping around," Sandy said starkly. "She didn't believe in what we're doing here."

"Well then, you get up and dance;" Brett challenged. "I don't feel like it."

Clora heaved a big sigh. It was up to her to put the brakes on the snideness, and potshots. Grandma had specifically requested that, and it was a job Clora didn't want.

"Not tonight," Clora issued her decree. "I have some things I want to discuss with the family, and I need open minds and kind hearts." She looked sternly up and down the table, expecting and getting nods of agreement.

Clora went to the kitchen and returned with a note book, three small boxes and Grandma's old brown suitcase.

"How did that make it through the destruction?" Brett wondered aloud. "Those goons went through everything and either stomped or crapped on it."

Cheryl quickly glanced at the kids to see if they were listening, but Christy had the boys building cookie towers, so they were occupied.

Clora shot him a pained look, quelling the next thought spilling out of his mouth.

"You know Grandma," she stalled a bit as she opened the old brown leather train case. "She believed in taking care of what she had. She also had some ideas that this very thing might happen. So with that opening, I want to show everyone what she discovered."

Clora took the last six stacks of banded money and placed them on the table. Slipping the bank's paper band from the money she twisted the stack in half, and spilled the contents from the hollowed out hiding place.

The diamonds made a small clattering noise as they fell on the old walnut stained table, bringing a unified gasp from the family.