Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Hi, My Name is Tessee
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 234 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast
    Thanks Pac that one was totally unexpected.
    Wayne

Thanks pac.

#24b

Cheryl and Wayne went into Evergreen in a hurry. Coming down the hill, they could see Ev's pickup out in front of what had been their cabin. Cheryl felt terrorized that Ev was no where to be seen, the dog was absent also.

The pickup skidded to a stop and Cheryl was out the door in a flash yelling for Ev. There was no response in the wind blown January morning.

They could hear faint barks, and ran to the caved in half burned house, thinking that maybe Ev had gone inside and been trapped. Wayne hollered and yelled and then his attention was snagged by the form pawing at Ev's pickup door.

"The dog's in the pickup," Wayne turned back to open the crewcab door. Out shot a very relieved heeler that need to empty her bladder. "Cheryl he's in here, but something is wrong."

Ev could hear Cheryl's voice once again. She was urging him to turn over and sit up so she could help him. He tried to answer, to tell her that he couldn't, that she had to help but his voice failed him.

Ev was dreaming that Wayne was there to help Cheryl, it was good that his friend had come to help.

"Ev, Ev," Cheryl was insistent, "what's wrong, what happened, are you hurt?" she pushed questions at him so fast he couldn't keep track of which ones she wanted him to answer.

"Unghumddh," he said, hoping that she would slow down.

"Help me Wayne, he needs to come out of here, I can't assess the problem." Cheryl was clear minded and focused. "Oh Lord, only half of him works. He has either had a stroke or a heart attack." It took them both to maneuver Ev out of the cab and on a hasty thrown coat that Wayne shucked.

Ruby came and laid down so her nose was touching Ev's head. Her brown eyes watched carefully as Wayne and Cheryl washed Ev's face and bent their ear to his chest. "He needs to be in a hospital," Cheryl said unnecessarily, "can we get him in the back seat?"

Wayne nodded, it was going to be a tussle as Ev was some taller but not heavier. "I'm gonna pick him up and shoot him into the back seat. You open the other door and get ready to grab his shoulders and keep him moving. Any questions?"

Cheryl shook her head no, and got ready to do her part. Ev got banged around a bit, hollering once when his useless arm flopped and hit the door jamb, but somehow they got him in and the door closed.

"Do you want me to drive him?" Wayne asked, indicating the crewcab. "Can you drive my pickup?"

Thank you for the chapter tonight Pac. I'm so glad Ev got some help so I won't have to worry about him before I go to sleep.
    Visit me on Etsy: ModernMaille

#24c

The weather turned cold and snowy as Wayne and Cheryl were turning around in their former driveway. Hard driven snow pellets brought an early dusk, making the slow climb out of Evergreen difficult at best. Wayne had to stop once and open the back doors of the crew cab and set the child locks, Ev tried to open the doors in his delirium.

Cheryl was so upset that she ground the gears in Wayne's pickup as her foot slipped off the clutch. Crawling at an agonizing turtle pace through the rutted road they had flew over coming in, Cheryl prayed aloud as she stuck like glue to pickup ahead of her.

Wayne stopped when they finally got down to the paved two lane and turned the hubs out on Ev's old Ford. He made sure Cheryl moved the shifter in the lower transmission of his pickup and took enough time to try the cell phone. No signal down by the river, so he put the Ford in gear and headed toward Camas.

When they got to Camas, Ev called 911 and they met the ambulance and transferred Ev. The two pickups trailed the ambulance into the emergency at the hospital that almost refused to admit the strange bearded and pistol carting wild eyed clan members as they came busting through the ER doors.

Wayne called Mark on his cell and asked him to come to the hospital if possible, Ev was not a willing patient and Wayne hoped Mark might be able to get the man to submit to the procedures needed. Mark agreed, but said Will would be a better person for the job and promised to call the long time friend of Ev's to force cooperation.

Once again, the farm was in a turmoil as plans were changed at the last minute. Mark clocked out and headed for the farm, meeting Will about half way home. They waved as they passed and Mark went up the drive.

When he went through the front door, Clora and Lainey were deep into a serious conversation from the looks on their faces. Clora got up and gave him a hug and kiss and they all moved into the dining room for cookies and drinks.

Clora thumped Evie's journal on the table and said to Mark, "Lainey has come up with some interesting ideas, and we need to see what you feel about the theory. Lainey believes 'someone or something' wants this property, and that accounts for some of the hassle we have been receiving. The rest of it deals with the remaining diamonds. So it's not just one set of problems, but perhaps two or three separate calamities happening all at once."

"Wow," Mark teased gently, "get you two ladies together for a short time and you come up with conspiracies all over the place. OK, let me hear the reasoning?"

Lainey launched her thoughts, building her case slowly as the facts totaled up. "So what I'm figuring," she reached over to move Teddy's glass of milk away from the table edge, "this particular piece of ground is necessary to someone, and they have started a campaign to spook us out. Probably the quickest way to confirm this would be" and she paused for dramatic effect, " put the place for sale and see who responds right away."

Mark nodded,"possible, possible, what does Ben think of this?"

"Nothing, he thinks this is a nonsense idea and not worth listening too." Lainey knew she shouldn't say that much, but gosh she was angry at Ben. He was acting like she didn't have the ability to think on her own two feet, and Lainey intended to make waves until her children were safe.

"Ben got an overdose of Hanson stubbornness," Clora chuckled as she started peeling potatoes for supper. "I don't think it's a terminal disease, but under certain conditions it comes close."

"Grandma has a lot of obscure references to problems associated with this place, but I can't decipher them." Clora waved the potato peeler at the journal. "Say, what if we got the rest of the money stacks out and inspected them, what do you say?"

All the adults looked at each other and Mark finally retrieved his good sense. "I think Ben and Wayne should be here for that, it's an effect on all of us." he asked for a postponement and the ladies agreed.

"As for your theories Lainey, I think you might be onto something. Let's talk to Ben and Wayne about crafting a 'dummy' sale handbill for this place and see who we shake out of the woodwork. Let me sketch up a prototype and I'll have it ready by supper." Project in mind, Mark went to his briefcase and got busy at the kitchen table.

Christy rapped on the back door and brought in the milk pail. "Dad had a heart attack," she announced. "If he wasn't such an ornery old buzzard he probably would have died." Tough and brave, she dissolved into tears when Clora gave her a hug. "I don't want him to die," she wailed in fright, "he's not very old, we need him."

Lainey got up and she and Clora hugged the bewildered teen until Christy gathered up her composure. "I forgot the eggs at home, but I don't want to go back down there in the dark. This place gives me the spooks when Mom and Dad aren't here."

"We have plenty," Clora assured her. "Ben should be coming in for supper soon, so we'll find out what he has discovered on his travels around the place. And you," Clora hugged Christy once again,"are very welcome to spend the night and as much time as you want here."

Christy nodded, sniffed a little and went to wash her hands to help set the table. Lainey and Clora exchanged glances as Christy left the room, they needed help and she looked like she needed to be busy.

Supper was ready and the kids were getting restless by the time Ben came in. He was hustled into the bathroom and scooted up to the table by the mama's that were frazzled by their hungry children. Mark gave the grace and Ben seemed surprised that his brother in law would claim that right over him, but Mark figured this was his home and his duty.

The kids ate fast, small tummy's needed food right now. Ben told of his careful inspection of the perimeter fence and the several observation posts he had discovered, beyond those in the North fence line.

"They are very well concealed, and each of our houses are in direct line of sight from at least two of the posts. We have been watched for who knows how long, and the watchers have strict discipline. They are very careful not to leave any trace of garbage and the tracks disperse thought the tree farm when they leave. What I don't understand, the dogs don't bark at them. Some thing isn't right, but now that we know about them, we can plan some surprises."

Mark forked another pork chop on his plate, Clora had browned and cooked them to perfection. Dressing and applesauce, potatoes and gravy with plum cobbler for dessert. Ben was full, and as he sipped his coffee he picked up on the excited clues Lainey was projecting. Clora looked mysterious and Mark seemed preoccupied with something he was doodling on a paper next to his plate.

"OK, who ate the canary?" Ben spoke aloud, "you guys seem about to bust with some thing? Do you care to share?"

Thank you for the chapters!!
    Stay warm and rest a spell if you can.

I appreciate your hard work.

Thanks so much for the chapters. I don't think I will get much sleep tonight..........waiting..........waiting........w aiting......

Wow Pac you never fail to amaze me in your story telling ability you are truly a blessed writer. Thanks for the chapters and you time.
    Wayne

Thank you Pac .

Clora sent Mark a look that said 'let me,' and he assented with a slight smile. Mark was no fool, it was easy to feel the distrust and standoffishness projected by Ben toward Mark. While Mark had not a total clue why Ben disliked him, he was grown up enough to know that in life, not every one would love him.

Clora got up and passed a plate of cookies and more coffee. "Ben, it has been called to my attention that there maybe persons out there that would like us to vacate this property, would that account for whomever is shooting and trying their darndest to kill us all.?"

Without skipping a beat, Ben finished his cookie and said "possibly." He sighed deeply and looked tiredly at Lainey, "I don't have a clue why, but I assume there is a reason. Do I know what it is? nope. I'm not sure it makes a difference, but I can tell you the strain is about to get me down. I can't imagine how we are going to work the fields, the orchards or work our cattle under the threat of sniper fire."

Lainey scooted closer to Ben and patted his clenched fist. "We all appreciate the role you have stepped up and assumed. And no, I don't know how the work will get done. We can't let our children outside to play, hang the wash or do chores safely. I can't stand the thought of snipers killing us because we live here. There is a way we might ferret out who is causing us the trouble."

Lainey stopped speaking, waiting for Ben to process what she had said. Personally, she would have liked to kick him with all her might square in the ankle. Why did she have to bring in the family, simply to get Ben to listen. It was like he closed his ears to any words out of her mouth.

"So the three of you have come up with a plan," Ben finished as he looked around the table. "Well, I guess I'd better hear it."

yeah be better and he best take a look at how he is treating his wife lol,thanks Pac.

Gotta say it again...boy do I love this story!
    Thanks Pac

Sully
    Got Jesus? It's hell without Him.

* When the People become scared of the government it's called Tyranny. When the government becomes scared of the people it's called LIBERTY!!*
    Thomas Jefferson

#25b

"Actually Lainey came up with a dandy way to flush out the bad guys," Clora said casually over her shoulder, drawing water for the dishes. When she said nothing else, Ben had a pained look and turned to face his wife. "OK, what have ya got." he sighed like it really cost him to ask.

Lainey recoiled like she had been slapped. Rather than cause a scene, she simply got up and left the kitchen.

Mark studied the ceiling. There was a real interesting crack there, and his eyes followed it back and forth across the plastered expanse. Clora stiffened at the sink and didn't turn around. Ben looked around for reinforcements, but the calvary wasn't coming to the rescue.

"Ben, that was flat out mean and inexcusable. Grandma would have torn a strip off you for your rude attitude, and the fact that you used it on Lainey is worse. I can't believe you did that." Clora could say things no one else could, and she turned around to stare coldly at her brother.

"She worries the subject to death," Ben said defensively. "I get it that she is worried, but I've got to have a rest occasionally."

"Keep that up and you might have all the rest you need," Clora sniped. "That cut her to the quick. I think you should take her home and sit down and have a frank talk. You two have a ton of problems to clear up. Teddy can spend the night. Get going before the road gets too long to find the way back home."

Mark gave what he thought was a compassionate look at his brother in law, all the while thinking the man must be stark crazy to act so stupid. These were real women that expected to be taken seriously, not patted on the head and spoken down too. Any one that picks up a weapon and fully intends to use it in defense of their family, doesn't accept baby talk.

Lainey walked into the kitchen with Anne wrapped in her shawl and let herself out the back door with out a backward glance.

"If you're a smart man, that back door will hit you in the butt instantly," Clora ordered.

Ben swallowed hard and got up. Out he went, grabbing his rifle as he closed the door behind him.

"Wow," Mark said quietly, "I'm glad he went. I think he's really talking down to her. Lainey's a lot smarter than he wants to accept."

"Far more than you might ever expect; she is/was a straight A student and I would have her watch my back anytime. Family means more to her than all the rice in China, 'cause she didn't have any and knows how precious it is." Clora said with conviction.

"That makes two of us," Mark seriously replied. "I never knew how secure and happy belonging to a family would make a person feel, until I took one look at you." Mark got up to kiss Clora on the cheek. "You wash the dishes, and I'll wash the boys," he offered.

"Yes, I'll take you up on that, those two rascals are a handful when they get together."

Night chores done and the boy's in bed, Christy wandered into the kitchen for a drink of water and left with a cookie and a book from the shelf.

Mark and Clora sat talking in the warm but dim light of the living room. "What about Wayne, I think we should get his thoughts on feeling out a potential buyer," Mark was worried that Ben's problems would derail a great idea.

As he spoke, the object of their conversation pulled into the parking area. Wayne got out and let Ruby down from the cab. She let out a couple of barks and raced to the shop. Puppy yips sounded along with the deeper barks of Big Otis, and Ruby was happy.

"Ya got any coffee and cookies? I ate in town but the desserts looked crappy, so I saved my money." Wayne grinned as he winked at Clora.

Christy came down stairs to get an update on her Dad, and stayed long enough to eat cookie for cookie with Wayne.

"He's resting under sedation, he's been a real pain in the butt about staying down in bed and recuperating. Definitely had at least two heart attacks, and has lost most of his left side. The Doc thinks there might have been a stroke from the amount of paralysis involved. It doesn't look like he will be home for several day's. Will had to go to work, he'll be off about 10 tomorrow morning."

Christy yawned, "Maybe I could ride into town with you tomorrow?" she asked Mark.

"Yeah, if we can find your mother before I leave the hospital," Mark replied. "Be ready to be up early."

"OK, I'll be ready," Christy promised as she got up and stretched as she walked to the stairs.

"Wayne, hold up." Mark interjected as Wayne got up to go to bed. "we have an idea we want to run by you."

Twenty minutes later, Wayne had been filled in on the ruse the farm wanted to perpetuate with the sale bill.

"Well, sounds like a good way to scare the bogymen out of the woodwork, as far as I'm concerned," Wayne tugged on a few stray hairs in his mustache.

"We're waiting for Ben and Lainey to come together in a consensus, so this is just the groundwork, here's what the sale paper might look like." Mark handed over the paper he had been doodling on.

"Looks alright to me, let me know if you need me to initial it for Ben's suspicious mind, you understand." Wayne laughed at Clora's sour look. "Don't bother telling me you don't know what I'm talking about," Wayne laughed himself out of the room. "I'm gonna sleep here tonight, did anyone milk?"

"Yeah, all taken care of," Clora replied.

Mark and Clora got ready for bed, the back bedroom cold after the warmth of the living room. "Brrr," Clora shivered, "I'm sure glad we have our wood heat. I wonder what people do that can't use wood?"

Mark was already under the covers. "Stop talking," he complained,"that makes a breeze."

Ben and Lainey were deep into the most serious discussion they had ever had. They went to bed with most of the problems unresolved, Ben was reluctant to credit Lainey with any intelligence.

Lainey was near the limits of her patience, and just turned herself off to anything further Ben might say. It was a frosty night outside, and inside.

Thanks for another great chapter tonight Pac.

Hey Ben! You better wake up and smell the coffee boy! LOL

Thanks Pac. I've been on the receiving end of the 'little woman' syndrome before. It's insulting to be treated like you're incapable of rubbing two brain cells together.
    Visit me on Etsy: ModernMaille

Thank you Pac

Just caught up, thanks for the new chapters, Ben is really being bullheaded doesn't he realize how lucky he is to have a wife who loves him, doesn't want to runaround, can and will shoot and is smart besides. She is every smart man's dream come true.(I know I have one of those wives and thank God for her every day).
    Thanks
    Wayne

"NO COOKIES until after breakfast," Clora turned around just in time to see two hands, one large and one small reaching for the cookie plate. Two boys grinned unrepentant grins and looked very guiltily.

"I guess we had better wait," Mark said in a stage whisper, and Milo said "OK." trying to emulate Mark's not quite out loud voice.

"What's for breakfast?" Milo couldn't see into the pan on the stove.

"Oatmeal, do you want a whole bowl or half a one?" Clora teased.

"A big one," Milo announced. "I got's lot of playing to do today. Is Teddy gonna stay and play today, or can I go to the school place?"

"We'll see about the school place this weekend," Mark promised, "You and Teddy can play today, can't you?"

"Yeah, can I go wake him up so we can get started?" Milo was ready to forgo breakfast to play.

"No, breakfast first," Clora said with a laugh. "Teddy will get up when he is ready."

Mark finished his breakfast and looked around. "No Christy?"

"Go ahead and go, she can go in later. We don't want you to be late." Mark kissed her on the cheek, and pulled a lock of Milo's hair on his way out.

"Auntie Clora, where do you 'spose Ronnie is? Can he come play?" Milo drew circles in the last of his oatmeal, the swirling spoon dangerous as it sped around the bowl.

"The last I heard, Ronnie was still in the hospital," Clora paused and turned around to look at Milo. "You know how you feel when your tummy is sick and you don't want to do anything?" Milo looked up solemnly and nodded. "Ronnie feels like that inside his head. His head hurts and makes him do things he shouldn't do," Clora continued.

"Oh, now I understand. One time Mom said he was zessed." Milo spooned up the last of his cereal.

"Zessed?" Clora said in puzzlement, trying to guess what Milo meant. "OH, possessed you mean?" Milo said "yeah"

I am always checking thank you.

I love Milo. Thanks Pac.

Thank you for the added chapters!
    Wow....the little ones sure have a hard life up to now.
    Hope you doing well.
    Stay warm!

Thank you so much, Pac, for each installment of this wonderful story!
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

#26b

Ev was a patient from hell. Finally the Doctor, gave Cheryl the OK to take him home. Ev was so impatient, agitated at being confined in the hospital they were afraid he would give himself another heart attack. Cheryl stood at the foot of his bed and laid down the law.

"The balance of power has shifted my dear," Cheryl said sternly. Looking straight at Ev, she wasn't smiling and he got a real sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. "Whatever rules the Doctor gives you...you will abide by, or you will be back in the hospital quicker than you can sneeze. It makes no difference if it is physical therapy, food therapy, or mental therapy.......you will do it with a happy heart right down to the letter, do I make myself clear?"

Arms crossed and foot tapping, Cheryl was the stereotype picture of a thourally worked up woman. Impatiently she waited for Ev to make up his mind. Actually Ev was astonished. Cheryl had never taken the front as she was doing now, and he wasn't sure it was becoming to her.

"Ahh well, I suppose some of them will be alright." Ev allowed with studied indifference, yawning to add insult to injury.

"No, it's not going to happen that way. Didn't you hear what I just said? If you want to die, you can die in here, not at home."

Ev grimaced, she evidently was gonna play hardball about this whole heart thing. "Cheryl, cut me a little slack here, I'm not very well and don't want to argue with you. I can't hardly think straight."

"Well then you can think on this while you nap, there are conditions for coming home and you either agree, or stay here." Cheryl was adamant that there had to be a change in the regime. To enforce her demands, she turned around and left the room.

Ev was thinking "wow, kick a fella when he's down, why doncha ya?" He was still thinking on that thought two hours later when Cheryl hadn't returned. It wasn't fair of her to go get all bossy right at this time, he needed sympathy and oodles of love instead of cruel words and harsh choices.

Cheryl stayed away until supper. Ev's dominate side was his left, the same side that was totally affected by the heart attack/stroke and he couldn't feed himself. Cheryl relented and helped him eat. He was a pitiful sight, trying to use his right hand to grip the spoon and spilling the contents in the meantime.

"I bet the cooks think this is funny," Ev groused, "give a crippled guy soup and a stinking spoon with holes in it." in the thick way his tongue rolled as he spoke, Ev garbled the words that were mostly until illegible to every one but Cheryl.

"Your internal organs are just as impacted as the outside ones," Cheryl explained once again. "You have to start with a liquid diet to get your gut moving again. That's why the nurses listen to your stomach all the time."

"Oh, and here I thought, they thought I was cute," that was what Ev intended to say, it just didn't sound like that.

He is blessed to have her as his wife!
    Yep....laying down the law is what he needs.
    He can get the oodles of loving later.
    Right now he needs to focus on healing and abiding with the doc's orders.
    His daughter wants him to live a long while longer as does his beloved wife.
    Thanks for the newest chapter.
    You rock as an author.

Thank you so much I peeked just in case u put one up last night and you had, thanks.

Lainey was pleasant but not her usual warm and loving self during breakfast. Ben was stumped and not quite over his funk from the night before. He would have liked to continued their discussion, but the day called. Bossie was bellering her head off, Ben thought Christy was supposed to have milked, but the incessant mooing called him to the milking shed.

Bossie was her usual contrary self, and this morning Ben had no patience what so ever. When Bossie started her tail switching and foot stomping while he was milking, Ben reached up and smacked her on the flank. Bossie stopped mid-moo, totally astonished. The tail end of the outrage, whimpered into a oooo and stopped.

Ben efficiently finished the chores, hauling the foamy pail into the house and poured it through the waiting strainer.

"Thank you," Lainey said politely, reaching for the pail to give it a wash. Ben held onto the bail and met her eyes. "Lainey, can we talk tonight? I need to patrol and check out the farm today, but I don't like nor do I want this between us."

"Alright," Lainey was as equally serious, "After supper."

The two of them spent the day reflecting on their lives, goals and plans for the future. Lainey was very sure she was a good wife and mother, she reflected on her actions and could only find fault with her rabid desire to keep her husband and children safe.

Ben on the other hand felt he was being made the villain, but he had no words for why he was treating Lainey like she was a child with no capabilities of cohesive thought.

Slowly, his feet took him close to the main house, and then of their own accord they turned in the back door.

Clora was heating milk to clabber for cottage cheese. She wasn't exactly open arm welcoming, and Ben glumly made note that this might not have been the best idea. She did however pour him a cup of coffee and put the cookie plate on the table. That was a hopeful sign, as far as Ben was concerned.

"Clora, what do you suppose Grandma would say, I mean she always had the most sensible reply for everything," Ben took a sip of coffee and was surprised it wasn't Clora's normal coal tar syrup. Without making a comment, he savored the near normal brew.

"Well, for the first thing, I think she would kick your butt all over the farm for the way you respond to Lainey. Then second, she would ask you if you had a change of heart and didn't want to be married anymore?" Clora looked at Ben and he seemed surprised she would ask such a question.

"Why no, I don't know why you would ask such a question." Ben acted bewildered.

"Well you are acting and treating Lainey like you aren't married, you give no value to her opinion, and dismiss her valid concerns. She is a tiger when it comes to protecting you and the children, and the rest of us are included. Yet you act like she has the mental capacity of a 6 year old, why for heavens sake would you do that?" Clora open fire.

"I...I...I.." Ben sputtered and then was silent. "I don't know, I guess I'm worried about having another baby so soon, and this farm, this place is sucking the life out of us. I know I didn't want to hear Lainey say somebody was out to destroy us, cause then I had a concrete fact to have to deal with." Ben got up to pace the room with nervous energy.

"I can't sleep at night, I'm always on alert for any noise out of place, I distrust just about everybody and especially Mark. I can't get past the fact that Borg tried to kill us, and then Mark turned around and wants to use obscene amounts of Borg's money to build a fence. Lainey totally believes that fence will be the ultimate wall that will keep us safe. I don't think it will, we can't build high or long enough to do that." Ben sat down weary to the bone.

Clora walked by and patted his shoulder. "This is what you need to share with your wife," she said simply. "You also need to remember that Borg fully intended to kill his own son, that places Mark in the same class as we are. Our father threatened to kill, and remember how that affected us? Borg felt that Mark had gone over to our side and simply was ready to take him out as unnecessary. Mark is strong, but he lived with that man and considered him a father; and then he was just abandoned and informed by strangers that Borg never had been his father. " Clora stopped and gasped for air. "I hate that man with all my heart. He was inhumanly cruel."

"Go home Ben, be honest with your wife. I have enough problems, I love you brother, but this belongs between you and Lainey to solve. I only suggest you think carefully before you belittle her. She spent many years listening to that and when she broke free, she hasn't gone back." Clora took a long handled knife and cut carefully through the solidifying milk.

Ben took the warning at face value, "Your right, say do you mind keeping Teddy for the day and maybe tonight also?" he asked hopefully.

"He's just fine playing with Milo. Was Will due back this morning?"

"I haven't a clue, I'm so far out of the loop I can't even see the knowledge anywhere," Ben griped. "I'm so loopy, I need to sleep but there's nobody to stand guard while I do."

"Let me finish this, then I'll guard. Christy can watch the kids after lunch and naps," Clora turned to face her brother. "All we have to know is that you need some down time, but you have to tell us," she chided. "We need to have some relief from the strain, that's why the sale bill idea is pretty darn good. If it's high enough, maybe we will sell."

Ben's jaw dropped, "you would consider leaving here?" he coughed as he swallowed hard. "I never thought...I mean I'm surprised, I just never thought...."

"Ben, stop thinking so hard, go home and sleep," Clora ordered briskly, "I've got things to do."

Clora shouldered Mark's rifle with the scope, hiked up her skirt so it wouldn't drag in the mud and walked out the front door. Two hours later she was singing to herself, rosy cheeked in the cold weather, and more energized she had been in months. The work to keep up the main house was forgotten as the freedom to walk and wander over the farm renewed her spirit.

As she walked and kept close attention to the security of the homes, Clora came to the valid conclusion that there was something wrong with ground they were standing on. It was slowly sapping the joy and life out of them all. It just might be Grandma was wrong, this wasn't the forever farm they needed. Clora stopped by Lainey's and could hear Ben snoring the instant she walked in the door.

"How do you stand that?" Clora jerked her thumb in the direction of the bedroom.

"I don't get much sleep," Lainey confessed. "He keeps Anne up at night with all that noise, she's getting her day's and night's mixed up.
    Clora, I'm beginning to hate this farm." Lainey was honest and when she turned to look at Clora; it was startling to see the strain and and tired dark circles under her eyes. Lainey was as tired and beat down as Ben, plus she was expecting.

Clora gave her a hug, being mindful of the rifle. "See," Lainey said wearily,"that's a fashion accessory we shouldn't have to worry about."

"For sure," Clora said softly as she went back outside. Later that afternoon, she stopped in her kitchen to grab the milk bucket and went out to do the chores. Bossie was unusually subdued, stood quietly and let Clora milk without problem. The dogs were eager for their ration of milk, and Christy had the lamps on when Clora went back to the house with the bucket.

Wayne drove in, Will came shortly after and they waited for Mark to get home. They waited, and then finally fed the children. They waited and finally ate supper themselves. They waited and no Mark. Finally, his jeep started up the drive. It wobbled and weaved all over the lane, his headlights stabbing crazy patterns in the night.

Mark was all bloody around his face and the back of his head had been split open.

Oh no!!! Anxiously awaiting the next installment to find out what has happened now...
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Thanks for the chapter Pac I wonder who got to Mark and how. It seems like he has a higher degree of situational awareness than most. Looking forward to the next chapter.
    Wayne

Gads Marks gonna look like a crazy quilt of scars. Thanks Pac.

Will and Wayne supported Mark into the house. "What in blazes happened to you?" Will barked as he pushed the kitchen chair under Mark's slowly collapsing legs.

"The parking lot light was out at work and I was coming out the door and someone jumped me, OW," Mark spit out. "That really hurts." as Will probed with a hunk of gauze wrapped around his finger. "I don't think you can get into my brain that way," he tried to make a feeble joke to take his mind off the probing and poking.

"Don't worry, nothing in there anyway," Will shot right back. "They sure mashed you a good one, how come you weren't more aware of what and where you were going?"

"I was on the phone with the dude from the FBI," Mark explained as he held the cool washcloth up to his face. When he opened his eyes, Milo was front and center staring with fascination at the bloody mess.

"Oh cool, Uncle Mark. That's real blood," he stepped forward to get a better look.

Mark tried to focus his eyes and wound up closing them against the pain, and before anyone could say 'no', Milo reached up and got blood on the end of his finger. "Hey, it's sticky," he exclaimed in surprise.

"Milo, please step back and come sit down. We don't want Mark falling over on you," Clora instructed the child as she brought the bandages into the kitchen. Standing in front of her husband as she prepared to apply a pad of bandage, she was a stop if he keeled over.

"It's bleeding cleanly," Will said with detached interest as he continued to poke and prod.

"Well then blast it, stop messing with it," Mark demanded. "I'm a hard head for sure, but that's tender."

"Ahh, don't be a baby," Wayne said with a laugh. "You have more pain tolerance than five men."

"Maybe," Mark winced as Will clapped the pad of gauze on the opening at the back of his head. "Easy there, you're not shoeing horses you know."

"OK guys, ease up on him," Clora demanded as she expertly wound the gauze ribbon around Mark's head. Standing close, Mark wasn't going to complain where his nose was poked. Clora started laughing, and immediately Milo wanted to know what was so funny.

"Uncle Mark," Clora told him as she chuckled. "If you look close, his eyes are crossed right along with his brain cells."

Milo tilted his head and contemplated that tidbit of information. Pursing his lips he stared hard at Mark. "Please open one eye," he requested, "I want to see how far it crossed."

The adults laughed hard, all but Mark. He tried, but it hurt too much.

"I believe you have a concussion," Clora said as she opened one eyelid and then the other. The light hurt Mark's sight and he clamped them closed.

"Lets get him in bed, fellas I would appreciate a hand," Clora tried to help her large solidly built husband up from the chair and failed.

With Wayne and Will on either side, Mark was drug down the hall and deposited ungentle in bed.

"Don't die with your boots on," Wayne counseled, and Will snickered as he pulled one of the western leathers off and dropped it loudly on the floor. When Marked shuddered, Will did the same with the other boot.

"Oh my head hurts," Mark complained. Clora moved every one out of the bedroom and shut the light off. Nobody saw Milo slip in the room in his jammies and curl up in bed next to Mark. Mark lifted the blanket that Clora had spread over him and Milo scooted in.

"I wonder why he didn't go to the hospital from work?" Will speculated as he grabbed a cookie.

"Because he's plumb spooked of the care he gets in the place," Clora finished as she picked up the dishes. "Guy's we have a problem and I want to run it by you. Will, you weren't here at the beginning, but we are thinking of fabricating a sale flyer and put the farm up for sale. We're hoping to accomplish two things. First, flush out an interested party that might be behind our reign of terror, and second, if the price is high enough, sell the place." Clora was emphatic as she stabbed the air with her forefinger.

"We women need more security, Ben needs more help and rest, and do we just sit around and wait for a sniper to kill one of us before we get something done?" Clora looked sad and tired, her shoulders slumped and she backed up against the sink for support.
    "Cheryl, Lainey and myself need relief, and we suppose you do also. If this doesn't work," and she reached over to pickup the paper Mark had prepared, "what happens next? I'm beginning to feel this place will be the end of us all."

Pac,

Thanks for the new chapter!
    Glad everything went well for Mr Pac with his checkup!

Jeepcats3

27b

Clora said "initial the flyer if you approve, we need to get on this. I imagine Cheryl will have Ev home soon, so they can look it over. Christy was going in to the hospital this morning and then decided against it. Cheryl called Christy to tell her that she had been giving Ev 'the word' on how situations were going to change at home and how his good behavior would be the only thing that will 'save' him.

Will chuckled, "Ev behaving, now that's a sight to be seen. And sure, I'll initial the flyer. I really don't have much right to have a say so, but I deeply appreciate you including me." he bent down and scribbled his initials on the lower right hand corner.

Wayne had an alarmed look on his face, "really, leave here? How far and where would we go?" Wayne's insecurity was very evident when faced with a life style change. The man was very competent in his craft and hobbies, but nervous when faced with changing situations.

"Somewhere, together as a clan," Clora said soothingly. "We are like the Marines, no man left behind, unless they want to stay."

Wayne looked relieved and sat back down from his half risen crouch. He took the pen from Clora and added his initials above Will's.

Sitting back down, Wayne was busy thinking about his coffee date with Andi. Whoo Wee, she was some woman. Bossy as all get out and purely opinionated as a woman could be. He was so busy smiling in remembrance that he missed several questions from Will.

"Earth to Wayne, Earth to Wayne," Will called as he waved his hand in front of Wayne's face.

"Huh?"

"This has all the signs of a lady infatuation," Will teased. "I believe he's been bitten."

"Huh, bitten? What do you mean?" Wayne was floundering like a fish out of water, and not comprehending Will's insinuation.

"The love bug buddy, they have the sharpest teeth of any bug around." Will went up to bed, laughing all the way.

"Good for you," Clora patted Wayne on the shoulder and went to finish her dishes.

"Ya know," Wayne started in, "Ev told me to stop looking for victims and go find a strong minded lady. I found one, but boy howdy I don't know if I can take all her bossiness. We stopped for coffee and she told me what to order, what kind of donut to buy and to not put so much cream and sugar in my cup. The last time I looked, I was a big boy and capable of eating and drinking all on my own."

"Well then, be gentle but put your foot down. Don't let it go any further until you come to equal footing. To be good," and Clora smiled at Wayne, "it has to be equal. The balance of power goes back and forth between a couple, but when it gets 90-10, or 80-20, that's not a healthy percentage to sustain a relationship on the long run."

Wayne sat listening, chewing absently on a cookie and nodding at her words. "Yeah, I guess. Thanks for listening Clora, I'll keep you posted," he winked at her, snitched another cookie and hustled for his house.

Lainey finished up her evening chores and finally went to bed herself. Ben continued to sleep, huge breath stopping snores rattling the windows and proving impossible for Lainey to sleep.

Cheryl loaded Ev in the pickup with the orderlies help, but getting him out at home was going to be a problem. She was late and there was a good chance the men of the clan would be asleep, but if he didn't behave she might push him out in the wheelbarrow and cart him in the house that way.

Mr. Ev was pretty tuckered out by the time Cheryl stopped at their front door, weak kneed and ready for bed. Cheryl ran up to Wayne's and knocked at his door, asking for his help. Wayne and Cheryl got Ev in the house and in bed. "Looks like they've gone to bed up at the main house," Wayne pulled at one side of his mustache, "Christy'll be glad to see you home, she's been pretty worried."

"Thanks Wayne, you have to work in the morning?"

"Yup, bright and early." he grinned and went for bed once again.

Ben spent a restless night as did Mark and Ev. Clora stood guard in a haphazard manner. Whenever she was awake, she listened to the night sounds and when she couldn't stay awake any longer, she dozed. Imperfect at best, she was at least on sentry duty part of the time.

By the time Friday rolled around, Mark was back to work for the day, Ev was slowly gaining strength and Ben...of all sleep fueled miracles, regained his perspective and good nature and had made peace with Lainey.

Clora worked on Mark's flyer, adding a few pertinent facts and used his phone to call for printing quotes. "Please get me one of these," Clora waved the phone under Mark's nose, "when you go into work today. If we're gonna be under attack, I want to get in touch with you. Drop this off for printing please, I want to get this going."

"Yes dear, right away dear, whatever you say dear," Mark smarted back at Clora. Rolling her eyes at him, she held out his lunch and Stetson and said, "get out of here, go do a honest's days work, would ya. And please, watch out for thugs at the back door."

Mark stopped for a goodbye kiss, and then came back for a second smooch saying,"I need one for the road." Clora obliged.

Aw. That was sweet at the end, and finally Ben wakes up to what the problem is. Great chapter!

Bad
    Follow me to http://badkarma00.wordpress.com/ for all my craziness
    So say we all. . . .
    "If you value your lives, be somewhere else." Ambassador Delenn.

Thank you very much kind lady.

Thanks Pac, it's always a good morning when I find new chapters to read (or any other time of day) even if it is the 3rd day to waking up to below 0 temp's.
    Wayne

Oh boy! I can't wait to see what the flyer flushes out in the open. Thanks Pac.

Great chapter. So many turns in this story, will Tessee be around the next one? You know we'll all tuning in to see. Thanx PAC

Early Saturday morning, there was a great racket in the drive yard. Equipment started climbing the drive way, Lowboys with cats and excavators, ton trucks pulling trailers loaded with lumber and rolls of chain link fencing, crewcab pickups loaded with workers.

Mark was done with all the dithering and postponement of the problem. He had contracted with the fence company and promised a bonus if the work was done in a short, timely manner.

The fence company responded full force, the equipment unloaded and put to work. Mark stood on the porch drinking coffee and watching the organized confusion.

"Linderman, what's the meaning of all this?" Ben demanded as he marched across the gravel area, shouting to be heard over the D8 that just started.

"I'm ensuring the safety of my wife and children," Mark replied evenly. "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"No, I would not. I didn't agree to have this done," his shouting got louder as the Kenworth pulled away from the Cozad lowboy and the clattering of the high track reached it's peak. The 8 lifted it's blade and slowly inched forward. The operator in the cab waved as he pulled the steering clutch to turn the behemoth and clattered through the pasture gate.

Ben was getting redder in the face as the 9E started and accomplished the same unloading procedure. The ripper blades on the 9 lifted, as did the blade and the operator followed the 8 into the fray.

"Linderman, who said you could do this," Ben was as angry as Mark and Clora who joined him on the porch, had ever seen.

"I'm sorry Ben, this is not a point to be debated by the entire clan. My wife and children will be as safe as I can possibly and reasonably make certain they can be. This is going to happen whether you approve or not. If you and your family accrue the benefits, then so be it; but I am not doing this for anyone but my family." Mark stepped down the stairs to look Ben square in the face.

"Bull" Ben challenged, "we don't need you flaunting your money all over this farm, we were doing just fine. Stop this right now!"

"No, Clora, Milo and our baby deserve my protection." Mark's reasonable logic only further infuriated Ben.

"Clora! Did you know about this?" Ben demanded.

"Not until a little while ago," Clora reached for Mark's hand to show her support. "I can't tell you how relieved I am that we have protection in this form. I have been worried sick about snipers." she looked at the evenly spaced men with rifles that ringed the fence line protecting the operators as they worked the equipment.

Further talking was prevented when the 9 backed up along the fence line just beyond the parking area and lowered the rippers and commenced digging deep during it's first pass. The black smoke billowed, the tracks squealed and Milo came bursting out the door in his pajamas. Teddy was right behind him and they were jabbering and pointing toward the machines.

It didn't take long for Will and Wayne to show up, talking as excitedly as their younger counterparts.

Clapping Ben on the shoulder, Wayne said "right on!" not realizing that Ben was totally dead set against the fence.

Ben whipped around, shaking off Wayne's hand and stomped off toward his house.

"Sorry," Wayne looked at Mark and shrugged his shoulders. "I believe he's not for this?"

Mark nodded. "It simply had to be done. Whatever Ben's problem is, he's going to have to get glad in the same shoes he got mad in. I'm not going to allow my family to live in terror. I can't function at work when I'm worried what might be happening here. I can't leave Clora, Milo and the rest of you and be away from the farm for eight hours or more each day. I was brought up to take action when action is needed. I'm sorry it wasn't democratic and you all had an equal say, but you had been approached with the idea and nothing happened.

"Hey, I approve," Wayne held up his hands, palms out like he was warding off Mark's disapproval. "Suits me, the sooner the better.

"'Bout time Linderman, I was afraid you didn't have enough brass to do what had to be done," Will growled as he took a sip of his coffee. Sock footed, he shifted his weight back and forth on the cold porch boards. "It's cold this morning, you fellas get inside," he directed Milo and Teddy. "We don't want you kids sick."

Clora shooed her chicks back inside the house. Mark stood looking at the activity and felt self satisfaction. He was protecting his family, it was his duty as a man and a husband to stand tall and do what had to be done. Ben's feelings be hanged.

Ben was so angry he went to the shop to cool off, he had no intention of going back inside his house and listen to Lainey be happy about the fence project. Bossie showed up at the milking shed and mooed, but it was drowned out by the noisy equipment. Ben went to Wayne's house for a bucket and milked. He gave a generous portion to the dogs, Wayne's bucket didn't look as clean as Ben demanded his milking equipment be, so he left the morning milk to the dogs.

As he ate breakfast, Mark had another thought. While the machines were here, they needed to clean up the barn fire remains and prep the ground for a new structure. It didn't matter if they actually built another barn, it still needed to be cleaned up. If they sold, it needed to be done anyway.

Mark felt he could make a private agreement with the fence boss and the operators to do the work, he decided to bring Clora in on the action.

She agreed. "It won't be long before we are going to have trouble keeping the boys out of that attractive nuisance, the sheer amount of nails gives me the shudders. Thank you Mark, that is very generous of you to do this."

"Anything for my princess," he whispered in her ear. Clora smiled at him, sighing all over again at her handsome husband.

Ben stayed away from the buildings all day. He moped around the locker plant, checking the freezers and inventorying the amount of meat remaining. He figured the three family's had enough till May, maybe a little later. He looked at the Hereford's in the pasture and gaged that it would be September before they were fat enough. So they had a four month gap that had to be filled.

The hogs had been killed in the barn fire, and he sure as the heck wasn't gonna eat mutton, no matter how people lied about the tasty meat. Ben detested the taste of lamb and he simply wasn't going to eat it. So he guessed they might go hunting, but it had been a bad winter, so the game was probably in poor condition. Lainey had mentioned there were hens that had stopped laying, so there were a few meals there.

All in all, Ben decided he resented the expenditure on the fence when they might need that money for food. Looking at the machinery crawling all over the pasture just made him mad, so he walked down the lane and journeyed beyond the farm.

Ben needs a good, old fashioned whooping!! Thank you, Pac!

Got a couple of chapter numbers all wonky.
    Post #226 is Chapter 27
    Post #230 is Chapter 28
    Post #232 is Chapter 27b
    Post #238 is Chapter 28