Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

"Book"
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Book"

Hybrid View

6 "Book"

Sorry to jump from story to story...

Yeah, it annoys me too...

Anyway, this is my current project:

Book

Chapter One

Snake made his way through the streets and alleys. He was no stalker, but he’d mastered a certain amount of stealth over the years.

He was twelve years old and only barely weighed sixty pounds. No one had ever taught him to be brave, so he survived by evading and fleeing confrontation whenever possible.

Snake was always hungry.

He had talked to the strange trio of men twice before and he didn’t trust them.

The master was obviously rich. Both his giant bodyguards wore the finest of silks, soft leathers and had elaborately engraved and silver plated conchos reinforcing their leather armor.

One servant had an amethyst ring and the other had a big ruby ring.

The master though, was an odd man who dressed in black denim from head to foot and eschewed ornament. It was very odd to see a man spend more on his servants’ raiment than he did on his own.

Snake knew about men who wanted to use little boys like women. Perhaps he was lucky, but he’d never experienced that humiliation in his short life. That was no reason to start now.

Still, he didn’t think the men were trying to recruit him to play meat games. It wasn’t anywhere near that challenging to find a far more experienced and willing partner.

That didn’t mean that they weren’t trying to con Snake into something almost as bad.

Snake’s attention was behind him, watching for the strange trio, when he ran straight into Liss the capador head-on.

The man was bigger than either of the master’s bodyguards. He wore a brightly colored beggar’s coat sewn from multiple scraps of brightly colored fabric. Liss wore a big sword and he had a black eye-patch over the empty socket where his right eye had been.

“What’s this? Are little boys running to me to be geld now?” the capador said.

Snake twisted to the point that he was in danger of tearing the muscles of his arm, but it was to no avail.

“We were stalking that young man ourselves,” the drably dressed master said.

“That’s your problem,” Liss said.

Liss had six of his men with him and they laughed uproariously at his wit.

“They capture young boys and turn them into eunuchs,” the bigger guard, the one with the big ruby ring on his left forefinger explained to his plain master.

“I thought slavery and castration were both illegal in this kingdom,” the master said.

“These fellows don’t really care about the law,” the ruby wearer explained.

The drab master hunched his shoulders forward timidly while wringing one hand with the other in a servile manner.

“I’ll give you a gold coin for him,” the man said.

“Screw off!” Liss spat at the man.

Snake never saw the black clothed man draw. One moment he seemed to be kow-towing to Liss. The very next instant he had a slim cap and ball revolver in his right fist.

The pistolero went for headshots only.

Liss’ brains showered Snake. Then the man started working his way down the line.

The larger guard drew his huge leaf-bladed scimitar. He chopped one capador diagonally from the middle of his left collarbone almost to the upper edge of the pelvis bone on the man’s right. Then he viciously yanked his blade loose with a single jerk and then beheaded the man next to the first.

His companion drew his huge seven-shot, fifty-caliber cap and ball revolver—the type heavily favored by palace guards—and shot a huge capador with three hyper-rapid shots.

By then the drab master had already killed the other four—leaving his bodyguards looking a bit foolish.

“Grab the boy,” the master said.

“He still doesn’t want to come with us,” the second, smaller guard said.

“Dude,” the master addressed Snake, “You are in my debt. You’ll dine with us tonight. You can leave tomorrow if you still want to go then. I’ll even give you a gold coin, a dagger and a big breakfast—what say?”

There were a dozen other children at the compound the master took him to. As the newest arrival though, Snake sat at the table with the master.

“My name is ‘Book’,” the drab master told Snake. “The big man is ‘Yamane’ and the smaller one is his cousin ‘Amat’.

“I can see that you’re not used to eating all you want. Eat slowly and give your stomach time to tell you that it is full.

“Puking is no fun and besides, it is wasteful,” Book said.

“You’re very lucky,” Yamane told Snake. “The capadores grabbed my older brother when I was three years old.”

“What happened?” Book asked.

Yamane shrugged.

“He killed his new master and escaped three years later, but his stones were still gone. He became a very large and powerful man, notwithstanding his disability.

“Today he is the head harem guard for a rich foreigner who chooses to live in our kingdom. He is fairly wealthy, but no whole man will break bread with him.

“I would like to kill every capador in the kingdom—and in kingdoms all around too,” Yamane spat.

“Would you break bread with your brother if he were here?” Book asked.

“He is my brother,” Yamane snapped defiantly.

“Ask him if he’d like to join my household,” Book said. “I doubt that I can equal what the merchant pays him.

“But should he choose to serve me, he will dine here at the head table with you and Amat as well as me and Snake—should Snake chose to join us.

“You’re not too proud to dine with a gelding are you?” Book asked Snake.

“If I stay, what will I be required to do?” Snake asked.

“Required? Nothing is required. Eat and loaf in your bunk or lollygag around the compound all day if you will.

“Expected? I can’t properly describe what we’re doing. Maybe you’ll have the gist of it in three or four years.

“Or at least, perhaps I will.

“It is the two-fold way of the sword and the pen.

“You are invited to become a warrior, a scholar and a priest. As warriors, we aren’t expected to soldier. As priests, we take no vows of celibacy.

“You are free to go anytime that you choose to and you are always free to return if you decide that you’ve left unwisely.

“In the meantime we eat well and try to have some fun.

“Can’t get any more fair than that—can you?”

“I’ll tell you after breakfast,” Snake said.

“You’re cautious. That’s good!” Book commended him.

The brothers stripped Snake naked.

“Is there anything precious to you in that pile of filth?” An adolescent brother asked him.

“I have a knife and three copper coins,” Snake protested.

The brother examined Snake’s knife dubiously. It had a slightly rusty three-inch blade and the wooden grips were partially splintered.

“Burn the rest,” the brother commanded.

“Sit,” a servant demanded.

“Why?” Snake demanded.

“I’m going to shave your head and any body hair that you may have,” the servant said.

“I don’t want my head shaved,” Snake objected.

“You can let it grow back, but we don’t want you bringing fleas, ticks or lice into our home.”

“These dudes are shaved headed,” Snake pointed out suspiciously.

“Many of the brothers find a shaved head comfortable and choose to keep up the practice,” the servant said.

“Why do they send a slave to shave me?”

“I’m a free man and I work in the kitchen—but I have a steady hand. If you’d rather be scalped by one of the brothers…”

After his shave, they insisted that Snake climb into a very large tub full of cloudy medicinal smelling water.

“Book said that I could leave in the morning,” it occurred to Snake to protest.

“Indeed, but we can’t have you contaminating our beds and blankets in the meantime—now can we now?”

“Drink this,” a brother demanded.

“What is it?” Snake demanded while smelling the foul-smelling cup.

“It kills worms,” the brother said.

“Nonsense!”

The brother brought over a jar filled with salted vinegar water and a thick rope of round worms.

“One of the brothers shat that out after the worming. The worms sneak into your gutty-works and steal food from you.

“Some of them are smaller and harder to see. If you’re to grow and become strong, it helps a great deal to be parasite free.”

No one bothered to tell Snake that some of the wormer’s foul taste was from a generous dose of opium. The wine that they gave him to wash the wormer down with was rather strong as well.

Snake forgot his understandable but unfounded paranoia as he drifted off to sleep.

The senior brother carried Snake to a guest bed and carefully tucked him in.

The senior brother woke Snake the next morning, by poking him from beyond arm’s length with a pole.

Snake was shocked beyond words to find himself strip-stark naked.

“Those clothes are yours,” the brother told him. “If you choose to stay, we’ll issue you work clothing more suitable for hard training.

“Those are a bit fine for that.”

Snake had never owned such a fine set of clothes.

The brother had a small leather bag.

“We don’t steal from brothers. We take care of our own,” the brother said.

He showed Snake his three copper coins—they having been highly polished in the meantime—as well as five slightly larger silver coins. That way there could never be any question of them having cheated Snake somehow.

Snake’s knife had been ground to a sharper edge and the ragged wooden handles had been replaced with shiny bone.

There were two knives slightly smaller knives, though of much higher quality, along with a small Bowie with a six-inch blade. All the new knives had stag handles and were shiny and razor-sharp.

“You’re not large enough to wield a full-sized Bowie well. But that knife will serve you well, even when you’re full-grown.

“Size isn’t everything.

“Wear the big knife openly while here. Conceal the other two, wherever it pleases you.

“Wear your knife too, if you choose. The steel and workmanship is inferior—but even inferior weapons can serve a purpose and more weapons are always to the good.

“Is the knife a gift from a loved one?”

“I found it amongst some trash in a back alley” Snake shrugged.

“Well these knives are gifts from brothers who love you,” the brother said. “My name is ‘Clay’.”

“You don’t know me!” Snake’s paranoia flared.

“Jesus said that we’re all brothers and to love your neighbor as yourself.

“Even if you decide to go, remember Jesus. Research him diligently.

“Of course, if you stay, you’ll learn plenty about him, without half trying.”

Yamane’s eunuch brother was sitting at the breakfast table.

Snake had thought Yamane was very large.

Liss had been a half head taller than Yamane—and thicker too.

Sturm was a head taller than Liss. His arms and shoulders, along with his bull neck were epic. He was more than a little thick through the middle—but that often went along with being castrated young.

Sturm didn’t carry anywhere near the fat of a typical sumo though.

Food was too precious to Snake to worry about who he ate with. Anyway, Snake thought of himself as the lowest of the low. He could fall no lower.

He had no strong feelings about eunuchs one-way or the other—outside of the fact that he very definitely didn’t want to become one.

“After breakfast, you’ll need to go through the shaving, bath and worming,” Book told Sturm.

“I assure you that I’m not dirty,” Sturm replied hotly.

“Seventy-two years I’ve walked the Earth Sturm.

“That is, I’ve walked this world and my own world for a combined total of seventy-two years.

“I have never backed down from a challenge.

“If you wish to challenge me, do so. Omit the challenge and reach for blade or gun—or scream and leap.

“You can disagree with me. You can slander and insult me. You can even spit on my shadow.

“Never, ever raise your voice to me. Do you understand?

“I will kill or be killed before I will endure being shouted at.

“I don’t give a rat’s derrière how clean you are. The cleansing is a ceremony that all my people go through.

“The boy beside you isn’t ashamed to eat with a eunuch. Are you ashamed to be shaved and be bathed as he was?”

Book turned to Snake.

“Here is your gold coin. Stay or go—It is yours to keep either way.

“Sturm, I’m not angry with you. I loose temper very quickly when folks boost the volume of their speech. It is a fault that I strive against.

“Please forgive me.

“Now I have duties to attend to.”

Snake was left alone with the giant eunuch.

“Would you be my friend?” the big man asked him piteously.

“When they cut me, they held my head under water until I passed out. When I woke, I was already cut and cauterized with fire.

“I shower but I fear more than a cup of standing water.

“I’m not sure that I can pass this test—and I’m ashamed to tell my brother, or my cousin or Book,” Sturm said.

“Wait here,” Snake said.

“There was opium in the wormer,” Snake said. “I have tasted it before, though it didn’t come to me until later.”

“So?” Clay said.

Snake held up his gold coin—a large gold coin.

“You’ve seen the eunuch. Sell me enough of your opium to make him very happy and I’ll give you this.

“I could buy twenty times that much in town, but time is short,” Snake said.

“What is the deal?”

“It is a secret,” Snake said.

“We brothers don’t betray each other’s secrets,” Clay said. “Share and update.”

There was no particular reason for Snake to witness the big eunuch’s shaving—but neither was there any real reason to exclude him.

Sturm’s mind seemed to be on grander things throughout the process. He even nodded off a few times.

When it was time for Sturm to bathe though, Clay and Snake ran everyone else out of the room—much to some of the brother’s total mystification.

Snake coaxed the tranquilized giant into the tub and held his hand and soothed him while Clay made sure that he was thoroughly bathed. That part of the ceremony was not optional.

“I don’t know about worming him now,” Clay said. “He’s already swimming in opium.”

While he was ruminating, Sturm took the pitcher from him and downed the entire contents and then burped loudly.

“What was that all about?” one of the brothers asked Snake as he left the infirmary.

“The big man is mighty shy about who sees his private parts—or lack thereof. We all have flat sides to out wheels,” Snake lied shamelessly.

After that, the three of them shared a special bond.

The bond between the eunuch and Snake was the strongest though.

Snake was Sturm’s brother and the son he’d never have, and an annoying and endearing pet—like a Rat Terrier.

Snake felt loyalty and solidarity for all the brotherhood eventually. Sturm was the only one that he loved like family. His mother had been his only family and love, but she’d died when he was seven.

Sturm was all the family that he’d never had, all rolled into the giant’s grim looking body.

Snake weighed in at sixty-two pounds—stunted and starved, and from a relatively small-statured race to boot.

They put Snake on a relatively undemanding weight training régime.

Monday and Wednesday and Friday mornings he did squats, bench presses, bent-over rows, and presses behind the neck for five sets of five.

Then he did straight-legged deadlifts for three sets of eight, and dumbbell curls, triceps extensions and leg curls for two sets of eight.

He hardly worked up a sweat the first few weeks. But the weights he used were increased very gradually, but relentlessly.

They added a pound to his 5x5 exercises every week for six weeks. The seventh week they cut his weight in half.

His body needed time to rest occasionally, they told him. It rested better lifting half weights than it would stagnating completely.

When he started the next cycle, it was always with the fifth week’s poundage from the last cycle.

The eight repetition exercises had their weights increased less often. They were mainly for assistance and if the weight on the earlier exercises rose, then doing the same movements with the same weight afterward was still working harder.

No one put much emphasis on his weight training, because the brothers didn’t want Snake to be obsessed.

Strength—real exceptional strength—could only be built slowly over a period of years.

They fed Snake a steady diet of rich protein laden food. They encouraged him to top off each meal by drinking more milk than he really wanted.

No one would call Snake strong when he started.

He weighed sixty-two pounds and bench-pressed only thirty pounds for five sets of five.

A year later Snake was four inches taller. He weighed seventy-eight pounds and he bench-pressed seventy-five pounds for five sets of five. And arguably, he was no better able to prevail in a back-alley street fight, even against other youths, than he would have been a year earlier.

Every morning the brothers started their day with swordplay.

For Snake that meant swinging a stick endlessly. They swung to build strong wrists, the type that it takes years for a good swordsman to develop. They practiced parrying techniques—though without partners. And they practiced thrusting the practice swords through rings and batted at small bags suspended on strings to develop pinpoint accuracy.

And all the right handed, including Snake, were turned into left hand swordsmen.

There was wrestling and while the boys and girls never struck each other, there were boxing drills, rope jumping and heavy and light bag striking drills.

There were sand pits both inside and outside. There were also tatami type mats in other indoor practice rooms as well as exercise stairways that led nowhere and where some limited drills were done.

It was very hard to scuffle safely on stairs. The idea was to build skills, not cripple or maim the boys and girls for life.

All the brother’s wore a twelve-foot long rope on their left hip. The rope was made of braided leather and very flexible. There was a ball of steel perhaps an inch and a half wide with a hole drilled through it on one end of the rope.

At the other end was a ring just big enough to easily pass the ball through and make a lasso.

The rope had many functions. It could be used as a meteor hammer or a lasso. It could be used as a garrote, or to trip or hang someone. It could be used as a whip of sorts or to bind and gag an opponent.

It could even be used to climb short distances, though the brothers were taught to be very reluctant to abandon their rope.

Book told him that elite soldiers called “Rangers” from his homeland had once carried and used such ropes as weapons, though the practice had died while Book was a small boy.

He freely admitted that he knew only the rudiments of flexible weapons and no one on this world used them to any great extent.

He showed them some basic ways to use the Ranger rope for joint-locks and throws. He told them of skilled folk who would bind you hand and foot while you fought them.

He encouraged the children to find new applications for their ropes and when fighting in earnest, to always be ready for a chance to bring the rope into play suddenly and unexpectedly.

Ranger ropes would not replace revolvers, or swords or even knives—but they gave the brothers an edge.

Snake learned to read roman style printing his first year at the school and how to write it too. They taught him how to count and to add and subtract.

The teachers read stories to the students, both from the King James Bible and from children’s Bible stories.

The brothers were big on memorization and they taught mnemonics. The children began by memorizing the names of the books of the Bible. Then they memorized a brief summary of each book.

Eventually they’d be expected to know how many chapters were in each book and give a brief description of each chapter’s contents. But as with the weight training, that was a long-term project.

The brothers taught them to draw and paint. They taught anatomy in ever-greater detail through the years. As time went on, they acquired a nice set of skeletons, including a few human ones.

Taulin and Rye were also spoken in the kingdom and each had its own distinct alphabet. Rye was based on rather rigid and square-edged pictograms while Taulin writing consisted of long interlocking series of loops and scrolls.

Book could neither speak nor write either language and learning to read or write either script took much longer than mastering English writing.

He brought in scribes to teach the languages and the writing to his pupils during Snake’s second year.

The brothers also learned to read Braille and to speak sign language as well as to read and write a code that used its own alphabet and was peculiar to the brotherhood.

Herb doctors taught the students how to do simple healing and surgeries. An assassin came by for a month every year to teach them about poisons.

Book sent each of them to work part time in a small abattoir, because he didn’t want them to be strangers to blood, gore and death—not to mention the exquisite feel of a sharp blade parting flesh.

After three years, Snake weighed one hundred and twenty three pounds. He could bench-press one hundred and thirty five pounds for five sets of five—more than his bodyweight for multiple repetitions.

At fifteen years of age, Snake was on the small side, but stronger than most boys his size.

He was starting to accumulate enough skills to make a difference in a fight.

They had expanded Snake’s martial art training. Part of the training had been becoming skilled with nunchaku and morning star type weapons. Book had little use for such weapons as weapons, but he was always seeking ways to strengthen wrists.

.....RVM45

They added judo and jujutsu type throws and joint locks along with punching and kicking to Snake’s repertoire.

They added climbing walls, jungle gyms and numerous balancing devices to the ever-growing training yard. Meanwhile the outer wall around the compound grew higher and thicker.

Horses were very dear, but the school managed to acquire a few old and/or second-rate steeds. They sufficed to teach basic horsemanship. Unless one was very rich and travelled with grooms and squires, being able to take care of one’s mount was about as big a part of successful horsemanship as was riding.

The schools horses were lovingly maintained. Prime warhorses would not have eaten or been treated better.

Each brother was also expected to select a puppy and raise it as a constant companion and train it to track and to be the brother’s personal bodyguard.

There were some giant herd-guarding breeds in the country, but it was an uphill battle to get the city-bred brothers to quit thinking of dogs as a source of food and think of them as brothers instead.

As Snake entered his fourth year, he started doing solo exercises with a real sword for the first time. The trainers had started him on archery, spear throwing and throwing knives, spikes and stars with either hand.

Snake had learned all about the theory of marksmanship and he’d shot revolvers several times but he was astonished to find that one of his fourth year challenges was to learn how to build his own trio of revolvers along with a few other guns, in the small armory the school maintained.

When Snake was eighteen, he was five-foot seven and the others told him he was unlikely to grow much taller. He weighed one hundred and seventy pounds and could bench press two hundred and thirty pounds five by five.

He could also squat three hundred and sixty pounds for twenty repetitions, going down as low as he could go each time, until his hamstrings were compressed against his calves.

There were over two hundred “brothers” both male and female, in the school now. The new ones always sat at Book’s table the first few days.

Somehow Snake had kept his seat at the master’s table all these years. Probably because Sturm would have insisted on eating with Snake and the giant eunuch would have looked ridiculous sitting with the children.

He’d never questioned his good fortune—at least not to the other brothers.

“Back home, I once asked a master which was the stronger art: wrestling or judo,” Book good-naturedly lectured the youngsters at the table.

“He asked what rules that they’d fight under.

“I was puzzled. Granted that fights to the death are rather strenuous on the trainees, but in theory—so I thought—you’re seeking the best preparation for a man who is going to be thrust into a medium-sized empty room with another man and told that only one can emerge alive.”

“Okay”, the master said. “Are these two men going to be naked or clothed for winter?”

“Wrestling is good training for summer when sweaty people go bare armed, even shirtless. Judo is good training for fighting dry folks in winter coats.

“And there are many overlapping skills and real-life tricks that can’t really be adequately practiced,” Book said.

“You often mention being from another world master. What is the story there?” Snake asked.

Snake had heard all the master’s stories many times, but he knew the shy newcomers would appreciate the prompting—as would Book.

“Not much of a story. I came from a world that is much more technologically advanced than this one. I’d heard learned speculations about alternate worlds—but they were only far-fetched theories back home.

“Then one day I found myself instantaneously transported to the marketplace here.

“People pop into this world from my home and other worlds too apparently, with some degree of regularity here. The king had folks out watching for travelers.

“Yamane and Amat spotted me within half a day and they had ushered me into the king’s presence.

“The king asked me what skills that I had. Somehow the idea for this school came out of our talks.

“The king subsidizes us rather generously. What exactly that he expects in return has never been clear to me.

“Sovereigns can be decent and generous just like anyone else, but they seldom go to such pains without some definite motivation.”

“Were you a great warrior and hero back home?” one of the newcomers asked Book.

“Interestingly enough, no. I was no one and I doubt that I was very much missed back home. I had no family and only the most casual friends—and I was poor.

“I’d dabbled in fighting arts all my life, but I’d never been a master.

“The king seemed most interested when I told him that I could teach the poor to read and write. He became far more interested when I told him that I could teach algebra.

“Then I proposed a total school for warrior-scholars and he offered me a royal commission and generous funding.

“Thank God that I didn’t mention calculus. None of you must mention it outside of these walls. I only know the barest rudiments—but apparently it is a very hotly sought lost body of knowledge here,” Book said.

“You say that you’re well-funded, but the brothers say that our horses are inferior,” another child asked.

“Good question!” Sturm interjected.

“Look at this compound, including the thick stone walls twenty feet high, all around. Look at your clothing. Look at the food on the table.

“Hell, look at the tables. Someone had to be paid for the lumber. Today we’d get brothers to knock the planks together, but back then I paid a carpenter to build these tables.

“Our weapons are worth a fortune—though we make more and more weapons ourselves.

“Our library is worth another king’s ransom…

“We run our own small press too now—and we run day schools for any poor—or rich for that matter—who want to attend.

“We turn out twenty-five or thirty literate for every warrior scholar we create—though our first crop of brothers is just now coming to fruition.

“We are blessed, but one always craves more.

“Horses can be bred. Half lame mares can still foal. Many old stallions can still sire. It is an old trick to buy many cheap mares and one expensive stallion.

“Then a few years later one buys another top stallion to breed to his crop of half blood mares. Then the next generation of horses is three-quarters blood.”

Esmeralda the cook interrupted the brother’s talk to make sure that everyone was well served.

“Remember Snake, when you’re on a bulk and doing the twenty rep squats, you need to drink at least a gallon of milk per day—and cream and butter besides,” She said.

Esmeralda was well over six foot tall and she didn’t seem to have ever needed to do a bulking phase herself. She probably weighed close to three hundred pounds and she was the head cook.

“Have some more fried chicken Sturm. I saved you some wings because I know that you favor them. A man your size has to eat enough to keep up his strength.”

She seemed to fuss unduly about the big eunuch eating enough.

Sturm seemed somewhat embarrassed and nonplussed by any female—even a twelve year old brother (since by proclamation, even females were “brothers”.)

“How are the children?” Book asked her.

Esmeralda had nine children—no two of them shared a common father. The youngest was nine years old.

When she’d worked in an inn, by her own confession, she’d been a very loose woman. Now, in her mid-forties, she had found God and self-control and she lived in the compound and all her children attended the school.

Asking about her children was one tried and tested way to distract her from pestering the eunuch.

Sturm and Snake practiced with wooden swords on their own time.

Almost all the city-born children would grow up to be rather small statured, whereas most guards and warriors were recruited from the extra large mountain folk.

Book had managed to recruit several of the large fighters as instructors and sparring partners for his students. It was handy to have practice going against full-sized right-handed swordsmen.

Sturm overtopped the six and a half foot troopers as much as they overtopped Snake. Snake worked out with him often to get the feel of battling giants and monsters.

Sturm brought his wooden sword down hard enough that it broke through Snakes defenses and drove him to his knees.

“The day that I face a man your size for real, will be the day I die,” Snake said with a shake of his head.

“Don’t be discouraged,” Sturm said. “You become ever better practice.”

“I’m not discouraged. Dying by the sword isn’t necessarily a bad thing,” Snake said.

“Remember what Book says:

“Live or dies as your geas directs;
    “But cheat whenever possible.”

“You don’t want to see me cheat,” Snake told him. “I might injure you.”

“No, go ahead and cheat.”

Sturm knocked Snake’s wooden sword clean out of his hand. Snake’s rope coiled three times around Sturm’s ankle and he pulled as hard as he possibly could.

The big man fell heavily. Snake kept his hold on the rope, stepped close and went through the motion of hamstringing the leg with his wooden dagger.

Then still keeping hold of rope, he backed up until he could retrieve his sword.

“That was well done, but it is a low-percentage desperation move.

“Do you think that you could learn to do it one-handed while retaining your sword in your left hand?

“Possibly.”

“We need to work on it. I need to learn to defend against it. You need to perfect it. It is probably your best chance against a very large swordsman—but we also need to upgrade your swordsmanship,” Sturm told him.

“I think I can get my bodyweight up to two hundred pounds or a bit more and still be reasonably lean,” Snake said.

“Snake, go for it. Keep in mind though, at two hundred pounds or even two hundred and fifty pounds, you’re still a runt in the fighting world.

“Get stronger if you can, but speed, quickness and skill are going to be your key advantages—that and deviousness.”

They sat on the stone benches to catch their breaths and just to enjoy each other’s presence.

“I have a dilemma,” Sturm began. “Esmeralda says that she wants to marry me.”

“And why would you even consider such a thing, even momentarily? Snake asked him bluntly.

Sturm blushed and looked at the ground.

“I like her. It would be nice to share a bed with her and wake up beside her. I like the children. I could give them an honorable name.

“I don’t know.”

He looked at the ground with ever more intensity and he started to cry.

“But you aren’t a man, are you? Do you think she has forgotten that?

“Maybe it would make her happy too, to wake up next to you in the morning.

“You are a fool. Do you know that there are women who lust after other women? They get their assignations done with no more equipment than you have,” Snake told him.

“But I have no sexual feelings,” Sturm objected.

“No, I wouldn’t imagine that you would. If she ever needed that kind of relief though, you could give it.”

“People would laugh at a eunuch marrying,” Sturm said.

“You’d be a fool for caring. They’d be fools to laugh at you. I’d be a fool for challenging everyone that I heard laughing at you to fight me to the death,” Snake said while cuffing Sturm across the back of his head.

“Book always says that getting in a sucker punch is generally worth eighty pounds. Don’t challenge—attack, attack, always attack,” Sturm chided him.

Snake was just over nineteen years old at Sturm’s wedding. He was still a bit short of his two hundred pound goal at one ninety-five, but he was far stronger than he ever had been.

A brother came to Snake.

“There are three swordsmen here. They said that they’re Liss’ brothers and they’ve come to avenge him. They waited long enough,” the brother said.

“It’s the celebration. It brings everyone with any pretense of a grievance out of the woodwork like moths determined to suicide against a flame,” Snake said.

Many of the big fighters tended to think of smaller men as effeminate.

Snake liked the idea of over-confident foemen. He’d cultivated a light step, a soft voice and wrists that often broke as he spoke. He’d seen the master Book do a fair imitation of a coward once.

Snake had no issues with playing the pouf.

He had made up his mind that nothing would mar his friend’s wedding if he could possibly prevent it—even at the cost of his life, if need be.

“Sturm didn’t kill your brother, Master Book did,” Snake told them. “If you’ll follow me, I’ll take you to see the good master. I’m sure he’d be willing to recompense you generously for your bereavement.”

As they followed Snake’s swishing bottom across the yard and into a narrow gangway, one of the brother’s spoke to Snake.

“I generally hang out at Billy’s Brewery. Come spend some time with me,” He said and then added some more explicit comments.

They came out in a small courtyard that was generally used to hang up laundry.

Snake came uncoiled like his namesake and ran the stag handled Bowie that Clay had given him on his first morning in the brotherhood right up to the hilt in the leftmost brother’s chest.

He had to thrust hard to penetrate the thick leather cuirass, but the man seemed dumbfounded by the left hand attack.

Snake pumped the handle of the Bowie a half a dozen times and left his blade stuck in his client.

He disappeared behind some of the hanging sheets.

When the second brother came blundering through the sheets like a bull in rut, Snake severed his right Achilles tendon with a short precise chop from his sword.

As the man crawled across the ground, Snake stepped on his sword and drove his own sword into the gap between the neck and the cuirass, penetrating at least ten inches-more than enough to penetrate the subclavian artery Snake thought.

He drew the sword’s keen edge along the man’s throat for a bit of insurance.

Snake stepped over to the wall and severed a clothesline.

“You brothers are dead,” Snake said. “Your best shot at surviving would be to cut down the clotheslines. I’m better at using extemporaneous obstacles to my advantage than you are.

“I give you truce till the yard is cleared—although the laundress will be pissed,” Snake continued.

Snake himself cut down two more lines when the hulking swordsman severed a line in the middle and blundered into the center of the now open courtyard.

Liss’ kinsman had a two-handed sword and a dagger that was longer than many short swords.

Snake’s sword was intended to be a Westernized version of a two-handed wakizashi. The blade was straight, double edged and cross-hilted. The blade was twenty-four inches but the handle had ample room for both hands.

He held it negligently in his left hand while his right hand held a double-ended spike.

Snake cast the spike straight into the brother’s eye very early on. While he’d hoped to penetrate into the brain, he was content to cost the client binocular vision at the outset of their session.

All Snake had to do to make the man duck from then on, was to feign with his empty hand.

He stepped close and knocked the short sword from the man’s left hand.

Snake backed way off and raised a warning finger.

“Be nice,” Snake said as he sheathed his sword.

The man grasped his great sword with both hands. When he made a great downward cut at Snake, Snake moved behind him and took him down from behind using the Ranger rope as a garrote.

He had the man hog-tied before he knew what was happening.

“I want to know one thing before I kill you. I’ll know if you lie. Are you a capador like your brother?

“You are? Well then I owe you for what one of your kind did to my friend Sturm—and for what your sissy of a brother tried to do to me.

It was the work of an instant. Snake’s knife was sharp and he was a skilled butcher.

“There, you needn’t suffer any longer,” Snake said. “Unlike you, I wouldn’t leave someone alive in that condition.

“You’re about to meet Jesus. You still have enough time to request a pardon. He never turns down a request—unlike me.”

Snake severed jugulars, carotids, sternomastoids and windpipe with a single slaughterhouse slash.

Snake didn’t realize that he’d been wounded until he walked into the reception, still carrying the last brother’s head. A sword cut had loosened a big piece of his scalp.

It actual fell forward far enough to obstruct Snake’s left eye—but the blood loss, the blood lust and the adrenaline blocked his perception.

“You’ve taken a head?” Sturm asked him with a frown.

“It was that or have your special day disrupted,” Snake snapped back in some irritation.

It was ten days after the wedding when Snake presented Sturm with a small glass jar filled with salty vinegar and something shriveled.

“Now you have one—and a pair too,” Snake said.

“Snake, you didn’t!”

Then seeing the mischievous look on Snake’s face, he burst into laughter.

“You’re brother has a score to settle with the capadores for what they did to you.

“My grudge goes back to what they were about to do to me, when Book intervened,” Snake told him.

A few days later, Snake was told that he and a couple dozen of his brothers were going to move to the palace and form a Praetorian Guard for the king with Snake as the Captain of the guards.

“The other shoe drops,” Book told Snake. “Time to pay the rent, so to speak.

“They asked for twenty-five men, including you.

“I can finesse that to thirty, maybe a couple more male brothers along with perhaps six or seven of your full-sized training partners.

“And a few servants and I’ve managed to get a couple dozen of the girls into the palace under the guise of being ladies in waiting and chaperones.

“Always go in with the maximum strength possible.

“Trust no one—including the king. I know that you’ll keep up your physical training, but don’t forget your mind. There is more than one library in the palace and scholars and mages to learn from.

“Listen to everything that you can. Eavesdrop as much as possible. Create networks of informers and let the king pay for it—it goes along with being proper bodyguards.

“Every bribe and payoff that goes through your hand, take a piece of it—a generous piece.

“Send some here. Stash some for your command and stash some for your own emergency use.

“Gold is power and it is a powerful weapon. Stockpile some.

“Be aware that if you or the king should need us, the whole school will come to your aid you—or to die with you.

“You said not to trust the king,” Snake objected.

“Snake, if you were fighting and your dog was killed fighting beside you…

“Would I blame you?

“But what if you sold your dog to the butcher shop?

“You may be the king’s dog. Fight and die for him as a warrior. Don’t let him sell you and especially your command, to the butcher shop—not for any reason.

“He may not be the type to sell out an ally. He may simply never come to an earnest opportunity to sell you.

“If you’re ever being sold, there is bound to be a bit of ambiguity in your mind. Act with honour and then live with it.

“Sturm will want to go with you,” Book concluded.

“He should stay here with Esmeralda and the children. All children love him,” Snake said.

“That shows wisdom. Sturm said that he wouldn’t have wed without your persuasion,” Book said.

“I pointed out a few things to him. I had no idea that what I said weighed that heavily,” Snake began.

He was ready to hotly defend his actions.

“Thank you,” was all Book added.

.....RVM45

Love it thank you.

There is so much of your phrasing I don't understand. What does " We all have flat sides to out wheels,” Snake lied shamelessly." mean?

Sorry. Typo.

"Flat Sides to Our Wheels"

Hang-Ups.

Picture a child's wheeled toy with wooden wheels. One of them has lost a small piece and has a small flat facet.

When you pull the toy on a flat hard surface, every time the flat part hits the ground it goes "Splatt!!!"

Anyone read "Game of Thrones"

I really liked the character "Strong Belwas"...

And I recently was gifted a great big Neutered Black and Tan (don't hold with neutering. Ain't the Dog's fault someone castrated him though...)

At any rate, I really like my new Dog—the first Eunuch that I ever owned...

So I wanted to write a story with a big strong Eunuch in it.

.....RVM45
    Attached Images

Good story. I feel that there was a time that was like this in our history, not so long ago. Maybe coming around again in our near future.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein