Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story The Long Winter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The Long Winter

fastback08, thanks for all of the chapters I just caught up, great story.
    Wayne

Thank you for this story, fastback. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Chapter 64

The deer were quickly butchered and the tenderloins were stripped out and prepared for supper. The rest of the deer was either canned or jerked and put into the storage rotation. Rodney took his share and Marty put his share away. Barbara and Al, as well as Ron and June, and Susan and Sandra were all invited to a supper of Tenderloin and baked potatoes. Martha had made a pecan pie with the last of her pecans, but the trees would soon be giving up a bumper crop they had been watching all summer. It was a fine repast and everyone agreed, it was the best meal in a long time. After the supper dishes were done and everyone had gone home, Sandra asked Marty if they could have a few minutes to talk to he and Martha. Marty agreed and as soon as Martha came in the room, Sandra started.

“First of all, we want to thank the two of you for taking us in. It was crazy of us to follow Al and Rodney back here and the fact that you didn't try to kill us or worse, says a lot about how nice you all are and how stupid we were. Mr. Marty, Bruce and I and Caleb and Susan have decided to set up housekeeping. We are going to move over to Mr. Johnson's for the time being, but we plan to either build a house or try and find a couple more trailers. We owe the two of you a lot, and we want you to know you will always be welcome at out place and we will still help out here all we can. Bruce came up with a plan, one day a week, he will work in the house with me, cooking, cleaning, doing the things that I will normally be responsible for and one day a week, I will work with him doing what he normally does. Sort of like cross training, I suppose. Caleb, and Sandra will do the same thing, so we will be able to every thing that needs doing if someone gets hurt or sick.”

“Sounds like a fine plan,” said Marty, “Martha and I did pretty much the same thing when we were starting out. I still don't like milking the cow and she hates feeding the mules, but we can do it if we have to. You girls go, with our blessings, Bruce and Caleb are good boys and they will take good care of you. You will always be welcome here and the offer of help is much appreciated.”

Both girls got up and hugged Marty and Martha and excused themselves to their room to start packing. “I guess thats as close as we will ever get to giving a daughter away,”said Martha.

We still got Sissy and Bobby to gt grown. We will have “grandchildren” after all,” said Marty.

The next morning was a Sunday, so after feeding the animals, Marty hitched the mules up to a wagon and he and Martha, left for a ride. Martha rarely got out of the house and Marty thought the ride would do them both good. After helping her into the wagon, he tucked a blanket around her legs and they took off. It was somewhat sobering to Martha to see again, all the empty homes. Homes that had once been filled with their friends, their neighbors, and even some relatives. Martha leaned over to Marty and said, “Marty, what will become of the world. So many are gone, I don't believe it will ever be OK again.”

“You are probably right, Martha, it will likely never be what it once was, but I am not convinced that is a bad thing. The few that are left, are closer now than they ever were. People have had to trust and rely on others like we haven't done for a very long time. In a way, I think the world is better off, people are working with their hands again, and they know that if they don't work, they won't eat. People are putting value on things again that had become worthless to them. Computers and cell phones, and cable TV, have no value anymore. Gentle rain, sunshine, and the love of your family, that's whats important now. Martha, I think we are in a much better place now than we were two short years ago. Let's go home and just enjoy each other company. We are going to be just fine.

The End
    Last edited by fastback08; 05-06-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

My good friend, Shelby Foote

I liked the story. It ended too soon! thanks for your words.

lovely story, nice ending. Thank you!!
    I didn't really bounce Eeyore. I had a cough, and I happened to be behind Eeyore, and I said "Grrrr-oppp-ptschschschz."

Thank you .

fastback08 Thank you for sharing your fantastic story with us I enjoyed it very much. I hope to see more of your story's soon.
    Wayne

Not quite ready for this to end but I can see that you have spun your tale and it does have a good conclusion. I can certainly relate to Marty and Martha and not wanting to have to do all the hard work that is called for to feed and care for so many. We are 74 and 76 and just putting on a big feed for 12 folks last weekend made me realize (once again) that I am not as young as I once was either. Thank you for a great story. Looking forward to your next tale.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    President Theodore Rooseveldt

thank you for the story!! I appreciate ya!

Thank you for sharing this. Now you know, you could always continue this story from Sandra and Susan's perspective.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Thank you. It was a very good story.

Thanks for the fine story and the hard work

Thanks to everyone for the comments, and encouragement. I have a couple of ideas for another, but I want to get most of it written before I start posting. I know how much I hate to wait, and I will try to spare you that. Again, thanks for reading.

Rick
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

Thanks for the great story. Sorry to see it end but that leaves opening for another wonderful story to begin.
    Always looking for more or another story. Thanks again.

Thanks! Enjoyed the read. Really appreciate your time and effort!

Great job! I thank you for all the hard work, it was much enjoyed!!

wonderful story. Waiting on the next one!

Dianna

Help! I need MOAR.... stories from you! You are a good writer. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your kind words. After the End is in progress. I have taken a few days off, but I am going to start posting today. Glad you enjoy my writing. I am a rank amateur and The Long Winter was my first effort.