Chapter 34

A meeting was called on the radio and everyone met at Marty's. There were a few things to discuss and it was decided that they would split up to get more things done, swapping the security of a group for expediency.

“Ron, I need you and Al, to take the toolcat with the lifting forks and go back to the Wal-mart with the flatbed. There are several pallets of guns and ammo near the door going to the back loading dock. They are covered with a tarp and a few empty boxes, after that is done, we need to start moving all of Al's inventory to the pole barn. Later, all of us will go and find materials to build a larger shelter for all of it. Martha, you and June need to be finished planting the green house today. We have let that slide too long. When I get through with my errand this morning, we will start looking for canning supplies and then I am going to town to post a notice for another meeting. We have not had a single nibble on our offer to help folks learn to can. I will check with Mr. Johnson and see if there are any follow ups on the oil crop growers.”

“Marty, if we are done here, can I see you for a minute,” said Al.

“Sure thing, Al. Do you want to step out on the porch?”

“No, this concerns everyone and I only want to say it once. First of all, I want to thank you all for taking me in, I am not going to lie about it, being by myself so long was wearing on me. Secondly, I have given a lot of thought to what Marty asked me yesterday, and I cannot stand the idea of someone else going through the loneliness I went through. If the young lady is amicable, I would welcome her to come out and stay in the house with me. It seems it would be beneficial to all of us,” Al said.

“That's good news, Al. I will make that my first stop this morning. Now if there are no more questions and if everyone is through with their breakfast, let's get this show on the road.”