Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story The Long Winter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Winter

things are cranking up!

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

Enjoying this Fastback! Lets cross our fingers for Ron.

thanks for the new chapter, better teach sister to defend herself

fastback08 Your story just keeps getting better and better, thanks as always looking forward to more.
    Wayne

Thanks. for the MOAR

Momengineer. Its a simple pleasure, and easy to make, or you can modify it to suit. As for specifics, I just eyeball it and use what I have. Test tasting is part of the fun.

Since you ask I'll put in my way of chocolate gravy. (AKA cocoa among some southrons)

Biscuits of your own choice.

Chocolate Gravy:

Heat butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Mix in sugar, flour and cocoa. Slowly pour 1 cup of milk into the skillet and whisk well to remove lumps. Whisk in remaining milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, being careful not to scorch. Keep the heat way low at first or mix up stuff in a bowl. (Just makes more to wash up, but for some it may be easier) If you have it you can add things like vanilla to the gravy.

Serve hot over biscuits.

It's kinda a simple thing, and sometimes people fancy it up with stuff like cinnamon or sprinkle some powder sugar over the top of it, but good to go in basic form.

It is very rich, and full of calories, but if you work hard at physical jobs, and plate of this will get your going, and stick with you.

Hope ya'll enjoy it.

D.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Chapter 8

The endless loop on the AM radio was interuppted by a special notice. All travel had been restricted. No one was allowed to be more than 10 miles from their declarted residence and anyone out after local sunset would be shot on sight.

“I need to go and try to find Ron,” shouted Marty. “If he gets caught traveling, it could go badly. If he is with me, I have identification that shows where we live. We should be all right unless we get caught at night.”

“Please be carefull and take a radio with you.” Martha implored. “I will be a nervous wreck until I see you safely home.”

“I'll be as carefull as I can, but I have to get Ron home safely.” and with that he was on his way to the barn. Rather than pack a wagon, He would just saddle on of the mules and ride. It would be faster and easier to get off the road if he had to.

He turned on the two meter handy talky and called Martha in the house and made sure the radio was working.

“I will try to contact you on the top of the even numbered hours. Other than that I will have the radio off to conserve the batteries.” Marty explained. “You can leave yours on and if there is an emergency, I will try to contact you off of our schedule. I am turning mine off now and I will try to contact you at 8:00 AM.”

Marty cleared with Martha and turned off the radio. He set out hoping to find Ron, sooner rather than later.

“I will try to contact Roy, when I stop to call Martha. Maybe she can call for him too, as the base radio will have a greater range.”

Marty and the mule set up a brisk pace, hoping to find his brother and get home before dark. Meanwhile, Ron, had heard the announcement on his radio and knew he had to get to Marty's as fast as he could. He snapped the reins over the horse's back and urged the beast to pick it up a little. “When I reach the top of the next hill, I will try to contact Marty on the radio.” He told the horse.

At straight up 8:00 Marty stopped on the side of the road and called back to the farm. Martha answered on the first call and after assuring her all was well, Marty asked her to listen for and try to contact Ron periodically, explaining that the base radio had a greater range.

“I will be listening for both of you and if I hear him, I will let you know. I will also try to get his location,” Martha assured him.

“OK,” Marty siad, “I am going to push on.” He gave both their call signs and cleared.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

My good friend, Shelby Foote

Have never heard of chocolate gravy but will tuck the recipe into my bag of tricks... you never know when you need to pull a rabbit from the hat.

Interesting story, look forward to its development.

Thank you

Chapter 9

As soon as Martha cleared with Marty she called for Roy on the radio. To her surprise, she reached him on the second try. The taller antenna and more powerful radio at the farm giving her additional coverage.

“I just talked to Marty, and he is on his way to meet you.” Martha informed Roy. “Give me your location and I will relay it to Marty. It is important that you are both well hidden before dark.”

“Roger that,” replied Roy. “Tell Marty I am four miles East of the 59/20 Interchange. I am going to continue West bound until I meet him.”

“Keep your eyes open.” warned Martha. “There are a lot of Blue Helmets about.”

“Understood. Over and out.”

Martha quickly relayed to Marty what she had learned and Marty told her they were about 20 miles apart. He let her know that when they made contact, it would be getting close to dark and the plan now was to set up a cold camp off the road and wait til morning to try to get back to the farm.

“See if you can reach Mr. Johnson, and let him know I will be gone tonight. Maybe he will send one of his boys down to the house to keep an eye on you and June.”

“Will do,” Martha responded. “over and out.”

Mr. Johnson was the closest neighbor to to Marty and Martha, and they had a sort of mutual assistance
    agreement with each other. If the Johnson's were away, Marty kept an eye on their place and Mr. Johnson would occasionally lend out one of his strapping young boys to lend a hand with harvest or heavy work. It was mutually beneficial as Mrs. Johnson had passed on during the sickness and it was nice to have someone to help with the canning and occasional clothing repairs they needed done, and Martha was only to glad to help.

Looking down the mostly abandoned highway, Marty noticed what looked like vehicles. He eased the mule off the road and into the edge of the woods and waited and watched. Soon enough, three military vehicles came into focus and Marty knew at once they were not American vehicles. They were the blue helmeted devils from the UN. Marty slipped his rifle from his scabbard and took to the ground
    steeling himself for whatever action may come. Fortunately the three vehicle convoy never slowed. They just continued down the road, going in the direction Marty had come from, but not before Marty noticed the direction finding antenna on the lead truck.

“I am going to walk down to Mr. Johnson's place, and let him know what is going on.” Martha told June. “I am also going to take him one of the Handy Talkys, in case we need to contact him while Marty is gone. I should be back in a couple of hours, keep everything locked up while I am gone and do not let anyone through the gate.”

June reminded Martha, that she was the one that taught her how to shoot and she would be fine.

“Just be careful and come back in one piece.” June said.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

Thank you for the new chapter.

With the direction finding antenna on the lead truck of the Blue Helmets, do you suppose they were listening in to Martha? It might be very good she is going to be gone a little bit to Mr. Johnson's. Her home will probably be trashed when she returns if that is the case but at least she will be safe. Hope June can scramble out of the way as well. I just don't trust the Blue Helmets no matter what scenario they are placed in.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    President Theodore Rooseveldt

Just found this story. You're doing a great job.
    Hoping for more soon. Thanks.

Thank you.

Chapter 10

As soon as the last vehicle was out of his sight, Marty put in a frantic call to the farm.

“Do not answer!” Marty almost yelled in the microphone. “Go condition orange. Maintain until you hear from me.”

June had no idea what that meant, but she immediately turned the radio off and then made sure every light in the house was off. She was on pins and needles until Martha got home.

“Martha, I heard someone on the radio and I think it was Marty. He said we were to go orange and do not answer him. I didn't know what to do, so I turned everything in the house off.” said June

“You did fine,” Martha assured her, “Now come outside and help me get the tower down.”

Marty had a telescoping tilting tower, and Martha hit the switch that started the tower on its way down. Once the tower had lowered as far as it would go, she pulled a pin from one of the legs and started another winch that slowly lowered the tower to the ground. The tower fit neatly between two wood piles and after adding a top layer of wood and some tarps, it was all but impossible to see the tower.

“Let's go in the house and start moving the fresh food from the kitchen to the basement. We need to have everything in place when Marty and Ron, get home.”

June stood amazed at the efficiency that Martha prepared everything.

“Marty and I have a series of codes,” she explained. “Condition orange, means there are unfriendlies in the area and we are to maintain radio silence and prepare to move into the bunker.”

“I had no idea you two were this well prepared. It is a good thing I came out here,” said June.

“If you hadn't, we would have kidnapped you by now. It has always been our plan to get you and Ron here if something happened. This promises to be a serious situation.”

Topping a large hill, Marty could see a horse and wagon in the distance. Pulling out his Steiner binoculars, he made out the face of his brother. He quickly but gently applied the heels of his boots to the flanks of the mule and they were off at a blistering fast walk. Ron, noticed the lone rider approaching and he eased the retention strap off the hammer of his Colt 1911.

“We need to get off the roads ASAP, the blue helmets are here and they are looking for the radio transmission point.” Let's go back the way you came and I will show you a cutoff that will get us on a trail we can use to get home.”

Ron turned the wagon and they started up the road at as fast a pace as the mule would go. Soon Marty pointed out the trail and it was a tight squeeze but the wagon made it through the narrow opening in the trees. After about 50 yards, the trail opened up some and they were able to pick up the pace.

“I had planned to make camp for tonight and finish this trip tomorrow,” said Marty, but I'll be damned if I leave Martha and June alone while this is going on. We need to push on and get there tonight. It will be after midnight, but we can make it. I assume you heard the broadcast and know we will be shot if we are caught out here after dark.” explained Marty.

“I can't promise we won't get caught, but I can promise we won't be the only ones to get shot.” Ron said ominously.
    Last edited by fastback08; 02-25-2014 at 08:22 AM.

I like the way Ron thinks, thanks for the new chapter

Thank you, hope this isn't our future.

Thanks for the story parts.

Every time uncle wants to do something bad somewhere in the world he seems to hide it under the UN banner. No reason to expect it to not visit us some time in the future.

I kind of think that blue is a nice color for a target.
    Dosadi

III

Really, really good story. Thank you.

Chapter 11

Marty brought the mule to a halt and after dismounting, he tied the mule to back of Ron's wagon. He jumped up on the wagon and told Ron, “Let's make tracks.”

The ride through the woods on the trail was uneventful. The trail was really an abandoned logging road that ended on the back of Marty and Martha's property. It was close to midnight when the fence line came into view. Marty jumped down and let the gate down while Ron pulled the wagon through. Raising the gate back up, he told Ron, “Be as quiet as you can, we have no idea if the UN is in the area or not, and I don't want to scare Martha and June.”

As they approached the farm house, Marty jumped off the wagon and told Ron to wait, while he let Martha and June know they were home. Marty slowly approached the barn and when he got there, he silently slid the barn door open. Walking over to the work bench, he pressed a button hidden behind a picture of a tractor. He pressed the button three times and then replaced the picture and exited the barn.

Martha saw the light from the small night light blink on three times and after giving a silent prayer of thanks, she slipped from the bed and padded quietly down the hall, pausing to knock lightly on June's door. She went to the kitchen and unlocked the back door and let Marty in the house.

“I have to go help Ron, unhitch the wagon, I will be back in a few minutes, coffee would be nice,” he hinted.

He went back to where Ron was waiting and they pulled the wagon into the barn, unhitched the horse and untied the mule and put them in a stable. They gave them some feed, and after making sure there was plenty of water, they headed for the house.

June had come downstairs to see what was going on. Martha told her that Marty and Ron had made it back and they were going to have some coffee. When June heard that Roy was there, she ran back upstairs to take the curlers out of her hair and put on something a little nicer. Martha laughed at her sister and thought to herself, this is going to work out OK.

“I see you got my message and took down the tower. I saw a UN convoy and they had direction finding antennas. Now, I don't know if they are looking for us or not, but they were headed in this direction.” said Marty.

“I haven't seen a vehicle pass here,” said Martha, “but I was at Mr. Johnson's for a while yesterday and they could have slipped by while I was gone.”

“Oh, Marty,” she suddenly remembered, “I left a radio with Mr. Johnson in case we needed to get in touch.”

“No problem,” Marty said, “at first light I will go down and explain what is going on.”

“You know, as good as that coffee sounded a few minutes ago, I think I will just hit the sack.”

“Ron, I will show you to your room, so we can rest. There is a lot of catching up to do and a lot of preparations need to be made. Tomorrow morning we need to hit the ground running.”

June was coming out of her bedroom as Ron was passing her door. They both lit up and after brief hellos, they said their good nights, assuring each other they would get caught up in the morning.

Martha told Marty, “First thing in the morning, you are hitting the shower. You smell like a mule.”

Nice, Nice, Nice!!!!!!!! Great beginning!!!

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

Chapter 12

The rising sun found Marty on his way to Mr. Johnson's place. “I can't believe it's not freezing this morning,” Marty said to the mule. “This is the first morning without a frost since last fall.” Maybe Winter was finally starting to release it's grip.

“Morning, Mr. Johnson,” called out Marty to the man on the porch. “Reckon it's going to be a nice day for a change.”

“Get down and come in the house, coffees on,” replied Mr. Johnson.

“Don't have time,” said Marty, “There's some big doings about and I need to tell you what I've seen.”

“If its about those UN trucks, I seen 'em already.” said Johnson. “They were through here yesterday, they didn't stop, but they are somewhere nearby, 'cause they have been by several times.”

“They're looking for radio signals,” explained Marty. “They likely heard Martha and me on the radio and they are trying to locate us. Don't use the radio Martha let here until I give the all clear. We may have to nip this in the bud, if they don't move on in a day or two.”

“I'll send out a couple of the boys and find where they are staying. Damn foreigners have no business here anyway. If we find them, I will let you know and we can figure out how to disappear them.” said Mr. Johnson.

“My brother Ron is here with us and Martha's sister June is here so we have an extra set of eyes available. I'm going to get back to the farm, let me know what you find out. Be safe.”

Marty turned the mule and headed for the farm, before he got to Johnson's gate he saw the trucks coming. He spun around and headed behind the barn to observe without being seen. The trucks were going slowly and the direction finding antenna was moving back and forth. “These bastards are going to be trouble,” he muttered to the mule.

“June, are you going to help me get breakfast started, or are you going to make cow eyes at Ron all day?” Martha asked her sister.

“Whatever do you mean?” June responded.

“Ron, the coffees on the stove if you want a cup. Please fill the wood box and stoke the fire a little. Marty has gone to see Mr. Johnson and should be home shortly.” said Martha.

Marty cut through the pastures, avoiding the road and was home in just a few more minutes than it would have normally taken him. Fences seemed to be no problem to the mule. Marty chuckled to himself, not many folks realized a mule could out jump a horse, pull a heavier load and to Marty, at least, mules were a darn sight better looking than horses.

fastback08 thanks for the great story, I am really enjoying it.
    Wayne

Chapter 13

“Good Morning, Ron,” June purred. “Long time no see.”

“Good Morning to you, June,” Ron answered. “It has been too long. How have you been?”

“I have been getting along OK, but I am much better, now that you are here.” she gushed

“OK, you two have got all day to admire one another, I see Marty coming across the pasture. Let's get breakfast on the table,” said Martha.

Marty let the mule loose in the small lot next to the barn and removed the bridle and halter. He hadn't bothered to saddle him for the short trip. Thinking about jumping the fences without a saddle, Marty made a mental note to use the saddle next time. Sitting down to the table with everyone else, Marty announced, “The blue helmets are out actively hunting the transmission source. Mr. Johnson sent a couple of his boys to try and pinpoint where they are bivouacked. I looks like if they don't move on pretty quickly, we are going to have to deal with them.”

“How in the heck are we going to hide three vehicles,” asked Ron.

“Might be easier than you think,” Marty replied, “There are quite a few hiding places around here, as far as bodies, Mr. Johnson has a rather large hog population.”

Shivers ran across June as she contemplated what they were discussing. It didn't help that she had a mouth full of sausage. “My heavens,” she declared, “It's one thing to kill someone, but to not even give them a Christian burial, that is barbaric.”

Marty said, “June, first of all, they are not Christians, and secondly, in case you haven't noticed, we are living in times that are rapidly becoming barbaric.”

After breakfast, Marty and Ron went out to take care of the animals and let the mules, and horse into the pasture. There was a large round bale of hay and the animals could help themselves. Martha would let the cows out after milking.

“Ron,” started Marty, “we are going to have to take out the UN people and the sooner the better. I reckon we can surround them with Mr. Johnson and his boys. It shouldn't be too much trouble, They look more like a comms group than a combat force.”

“Even comms have been trough training. It won’t be a cake walk.” Ron said soberly.

“Recon not,” said Marty, “but it still has to be done. I have some things that may make it a little easier. Most of the Western Europeans are still carrying AKs and I have plenty of armor that I got from Uncle Sugar, that will defeat that round.”

Ron was quick to add, “I didn't come empty handed either. I have a few surprises on my wagon. Let's get it unloaded and we can start working on a plan.”

Marty said, “It sure would make it nice if we had some night vision.”

Ron just smiled as they walked back to the house.

Caught up again.

Thanks.

d.
    Dosadi

III

thanks for the new chapter and looking forward to the "surprises"

Thank you, I hadn't realized you had 2 more chapters up .

yep, Caught up again.
    Thanks for great story. Lookin' for moar.

Yaaaa, thank you.

fastback08 thanks for the new chapter, I am really enjoying the story.
    Wayne

Need MOAR please

Chapter 14

“Where in the name of Jesus did you get all this stuff, Ron,” asked Marty. He couldn't believe his eyes. There were NV goggles and rifle sights, lasers, and even a stack of cases of grenades. Smoke, concussion and fragmentation.

“Neighbor's kid had it,” replied Ron. “Brought some of it home from the sand box and got some of it stateside. He turned into a meth head and ended up going to jail. His Dad called me and asked if I would get rid of it for him. I was too happy to oblige him.”

“Well this certainly changes the odds some,” said Marty, “let's go see if Johnson has found out anything.”

Marty picked up one of the AN/PVS-22 devices and told Ron he was just going to check it for fit on his M-14.

“There are some .30 caliber suppressors and muzzle adapters for your rifle too,” said Ron.

“This is better than Christmas!” exclaimed Marty.

“Ron is even better looking than I remember,” said June.

“You have just been single too long,” replied Martha. “Oh, I don't mean he isn't a great guy, after all, he is Marty's brother, but you need to calm down a little and see if he feels the same way. I am certain he would treat you good and you wouldn't have to worry about him cheating, but give it a little time.”

“Oh, you're right of course, you always are. It's just been so long since I felt the love of a good man, and he just seems so perfect.”

Marty and Ron walked into the pasture with a can of sweet feed and enticed the horse and one of the mules to the corral. They then saddled them up and headed across the field toward Mr. Johnson's place, preferring the back way to the shorter road.

“Marty ?” asked Ron, “How long has June been single?”

Marty told Ron the story about June's husband and how he left her with nothing but a house, albeit paid for. He also cautioned Ron, that no matter how eager June seemed, she was a woman that had known deep hurt, and was fragile on the inside.

“Take your time big brother, take your time. I am sure its all going to work out for you two.”

Mr. Johnson was sitting on the porch as always and waved at the two riders and asked if they wanted anything to drink.

“We're good,” said Marty, “but we need to talk about what needs to happen.”

“Hold on and let me get my boy. He has some info that might prove interesting.” said Johnson

“Morning, Mr. Marty, I reckon I got a info on those fellers for you. They are camped out right next to the bridge over Rials Creek. They park their trucks off the road a bit, but they are in plain sight. They act like they own the place. They have a few tents set up down close to the falls, but they are rarely in them. One thing thought, It seems every afternoon at around five o'clock, they all strip off and go swimming in the pool just below the falls. Kinda like a daily bath I guess. They don't even post a guard,” said Bruce.

“Where are we going to hide the trucks and bodies,” asked Ron?

“If you fellers can come up with some diesel, I reckon my track hoe can dig a pretty good size hole. We were getting ready to plow our garden anyway, ain't no reason we can's put them under the garden,” said Mr. Johnson.

“One other,” said Bruce, the older son, “They run up and down the roads until about four o'clock. Not right on the dot mind you, but pretty close. Then they sit around talking and drinking til swim time. We need to be in place by three thirty, and wait for them all to get in the pool. Then we have to decide what we want to do with them. If we take them out, how do we know they won't send more?”

“I am certain they will send more, and the replacements they send will not be radio operators. After this is done, we all need to crawl in the spider hole for a week or so.” said Marty.

“Caleb, hitch up the mules to the plow and get the garden broke up. We'll need to be digging a hole there in a day or so,” said Johnson.

Thank you .

Free fertilizer, almost as good as free hog food...

thanks, looks like it is planting time

Plant 'em deep. LOL

Thanks. Very good story.

Chapter 15

The men were hidden in the woods overlooking the pool beneath the small waterfall by three o'clock. Their camo hunting clothes blending in almost perfectly with their surroundings, one of the many advantages of fighting on your home turf. Years of hunting had perfected their camo and their techniques. It was almost four o'clock exactly when the trucks came rolling in. Just as they had been briefed, the first thing the men did was prepare the grill for a fire and then they brought out a case of beer, no doubt liberated from some unlucky store keeper. The music they were listening to on their tape player was not familiar to the men in the woods. After a quick meal of what appeared to be hamburgers the men started walking down to the pool. Stripping off to their shorts, they jumped into the cool water and started bathing themselves. It was literally like shooting fish in a barrel. It was all over in a matter of seconds. The men appeared out of the woods and walked to the waters edge and began the unpleasant task of recovering the bodies. Their suppressed weapons had done the job effectively and efficiently. Once the bodies were recovered they were placed in the UN vehicles and Mr. Johnson and his sons drove the trucks to Johnson's place.

“If we keep any of this equipment or any of these weapons, we need to be extremely careful about them being seen,” cautioned Marty.

They siphoned fuel from the trucks and filled the track hoe and Caleb started digging in the middle of the freshly turned garden. The small fuel trailer that had been attached to one of the trucks was quickly emptied into Mr. Johnson's farm tank and the trucks with their gruesome cargo were driven to the edge of the hole Caleb had opened.

“Anyone want to say any words over them? “asked Ron.

“Good Riddance to bad trash,” said Mr. Johnson.

“Amen,” echoed Ron.

The men finished covering the hole, and with the top of the trucks a good eight feet below ground, they were likely to never be found. The men divided the guns and ammo and some of the other things they found among themselves and prepared to go into hiding for a while. Using some of the new found fuel in the tractor, Caleb soon had the garden looking like a garden ready for planting, albeit a few weeks early.

“Mr. Johnson, I reckon we can keep in contact with the CB radios, they would probably expect folks to have them. Remember, to keep it casual conversation only. We will work up some code words and pass them to you,” Marty instructed. “The less said the better. There will probably be a search team for these men in the next day or two. I suggest we all confirm we have seen them in the area, but they just hightailed it out of here. Ron and I will go to the creek and make sure we left no traces,” Marty said. “We are going to go home and pretend this day never happened. We must stick together on this and our story must never change.”

With that, Ron and Marty headed up to the creek to remove any traces of the men or their presence.

Thank you for this mornings read.

Great chapter!!!
    I didn't really bounce Eeyore. I had a cough, and I happened to be behind Eeyore, and I said "Grrrr-oppp-ptschschschz."

I love this story! Had to chuckle, though, when the trucks were being covered up because I envisioned one day someone with a metal detector coming along and it going off the charts.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Thanks everyone for the comments. My goal is a chapter a day, I will however miss a day every once in while, I am sure. Deena, The trucks may not stay there that long.