Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story The Long Winter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Winter

Lol thank you. Had a hard life to be that good at 5. My step dad grew up like that and was doing a paper route at 6 years old. The 30's Depression did that to kids.

fastback08 thanks for the chapter and great story!!
    Wayne

Chapter 26

Marty made sure the .22 rifle was unloaded, and handed it back to the boy.

“You know it is not polite to shoot at people,” Marty half joked, “What if you had hurt someone. Why were you shooting at us anyway?”

“Cause y'all are going to take all the food and I won't have enough to feed my sister. Pa said I am posed to take care of her.”

“Where is your Pa,” asked Marty?

The little boy's face clouded over and Marty knew he had asked the wrong question.

“Him and Ma, they got real sick and they both died, but before he died, he gave me his rifle and told me it was my job to take care of my sister.” stammered the little boy, fighting back the tears that were threatening to turn into a torrent.

“That's a big job,” said Marty, trying to stem the flow. “Your Pa must have had a lot of confidence in you. How old are you and your sister?”

“I will be eight next month and Sissy is almost three.” said the boy. “Are y'all gonna take all the food today?”

“No sir,” said Ron, returning the sister, who ran up to her brother. “What we are going to do is take the two of you home with us and feed you a decent meal and get you cleaned up. After that, we will decide what we are going to do.”

Marty nodded in agreement and pulled out his radio and gave Caleb the all clear.

“But no more shooting at people, at least until you know what they want,” warned Marty.

Caleb pulled up and they set about their work. Marty found a dump truck with a trailer and an almost new track hoe on the trailer behind it.

“I think this will do,” said Marty, “Ron, why don't you run these two back to the farm and let the ladies know what is going on. By the time you get back, we should have the truck and hoe running and we can go on over to the co-op and get some dirt.”

Ron took the kids and set out for the farm while Caleb and Marty began trying to get the truck running. Surprisingly it cranked with very little effort and soon both the truck and track hoe were purring. Caleb, jumped into the cab of the track hoe after loosening the chains securing the bucket and eased it forward about a foot and then backwards the same amount. He spun the cab around and extended the hoe and made sure all was good and then he spun back around and secured the bucket to the trailer.

“I believe that's a good one,” he told Marty, “ let's get another truck and when Ron gets back we can get started.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Marty, and they soon had two trucks purring away.

”You know there is a heavy equipment dealer between the co-op and the house,” sad Marty, “I think if we get through in time at the co-op, I need to go shopping for a new tractor and implements.”
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

My good friend, Shelby Foote

Great, thank you.

Thank you fastback08 great story.
    Wayne

A great story!!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Matt

Chapter 27

Marty backed the filled dump truck up as close as he dared to the green house and dumped his load of bedding mix. He then pulled up and out of the way, as he knew Ron would be along shortly with another load. He parked the big truck and jumped down to go and see how Martha and June were doing with the kids.

When he walked in the house, he saw the children running around like children and they were each wearing one of his T-shirts. Martha advised him their clothes were being washed and they were so threadbare she wasn't sure they would survive the trip through the washer. Marty reminded her of the trip to Wal-mart and suggested she and June should check trough the trailer and see if anything would fit, if not, then another trip to town for all of them was in order.

“Marty, these kids have had a rough time of it, for a lot longer than the sickness has been around. I hope they will learn how to be kids again. The little girl isn't so bad, but the boy, as young as he is, has known hard work and hard times. He is painfully small for his age.”

“I noticed that,” Marty agreed, “Let's be sure and add some vitamins to the list, along with clothes and shoes. We probably will need to look into some school books for the boy and some activity books for the girl. Are you sure we are up this, Martha?”

“If not us, then who, asked Martha?

“I'm going to go get my other load,” said Marty, “I think four loads will be enough for our immediate needs, then we are going to see about picking up some heavy equipment and maybe a new tractor.” “Be back soon, get to work on a list of anything you ladies or the kids need and we will make tomorrow a shopping day.” and with that, Marty was climbing back into the truck and heading out the gate.

Marty was about two miles from the farm, when he passed Ron. They exchanged blasts from the air horns and each continued to their destination. When Marty arrived back at the co-op, Caleb had been busy. He had most of the seed loaded into Marty's pickup and he had made certain to only get the heirloom varieties. He told Marty they needed to get a flat bed and load all the feed and fertilizer they could get while they were at it.

“I have already committed myself for tomorrow, but I agree, we need to get all of this stuff out of here before the rats get it,” said Marty. “Maybe you and Ron can get started on that tomorrow. Go ahead and load me up and after I dump, I am going down to the equipment dealer and see what I can find. You can meet me there after you get Ron loaded.”

“Will do,” said Caleb and he jumped into the cab of the track hoe.

With a full load in the bed, Marty pulled away from the co-op and headed for the equipment supplier. When he got there, there was a chain and lock on the drive through gate but the walk gate, while closed, was unlocked. Marty picked up his rifle and jumped out of the truck and started through the gate.

“That's far enough,” came a voice from inside the office. “State your business or be on your way.”

“I thought I would look into buying a dozier and a trailer, if you are a mind to sell them,” said Marty.

“Come on in the gate, but keep that rifle pointing at the ground,” said the disembodied voice, “You know business has been pretty slow lately,” said the old man with a chuckle as he came out of the office. “Seems like I can't give things away lately.”

Marty thought the old fellow had spent too much time by himself and was looking at quirky in the rear view mirror.

“I need a medium sized dozier and a trailer to haul it home with. I have cash money or maybe we can barter,” offered Marty.

“What the hell am I going to do with cash,” laughed the old man, “ain't no where to spend, and I don't need anything so it don't look like bartering is in the cards.

“How about some company,” asked Marty, “gets mighty lonely when you don't have any company. If you are agreeable to entertaining an offer, I would like to make you a proposal.”

“You got my attention, spill it,” the old man said as he took a seat on the curb.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

looking good buddy!

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

Interesting barter item, thanks for the page

Marty thinks fast on his feet. I like him. Also like the direction this story is taking. Thanks for writing.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    President Theodore Rooseveldt

Chapter 28

“The way I see it,” said Marty, is you got a yard full, of equipment and no buyers. Fact is there just aren't enough people to support a business like this anymore,” Marty continued. “Now I am going to be straight with you, I came here to get a dozier and a trailer,, and maybe more. I figured you were dead and didn't need it anymore and I was going to give it a good home. Now you are not the only equipment dealer around here, you were just the closest to my farm.”

“I see where you're going,” said the old man, “If we can't make a deal, You'll just go on down the road til you find an abandoned dealership.”

“You hit the nail squarely on the head, sir, I intend to get what I need to expand my farm and hopefully try to feed the few folks left out my way.” Marty said. “Here is where you come in. There is an empty farm next to mine. It belonged to an elderly couple and when the sickness took them, I went over an buried them and closed up their house. Now it is not a mansion, but is well built and I think we can provide you with electricity and running water, and we will share our crops with you, in return, you provide us the equipment we want and help us maintain it.”

“Can I have some time to think about it,” said the old man, “I don't get many offers nowadays.”

“Unless you have a better offer on the table, I think this is about as good as its gonna get,” Marty replied. “I would like to know something now. We will set you up in the house, make sure you have plenty to eat, and we will even move your inventory out to the empty farm.”

“Well, what are you waiting on,” said the old man. Let's get that Komatsu dozier loaded on a trailer and get on the road, by the way, my name is Smith, Al Smith, and you are?”

Marty stuck out his hand and said “my name is Marty Jenkins, glad to meet you.. Now how much trouble are we going to have starting this dozier?”

“None, said Al, “I start it up and exercise it all regularly.

Al, opened the drive through gate and Marty pulled the dump truck in and backed up to the trailer Al was standing beside. Al guided him back and hooked the trailer up with practiced ease. Before Marty could get around to the back of the trailer, the spry old man was guiding the dozier up the ramps.

“Gonna need to get plenty of hydraulic oil, and filters, and maintenance items, but for now, let's hit the road, I want to see my new home.” said Al.

He had no sooner got the words out of his mouth when Ron and Caleb drove up.

“That's my brother in the dump truck and a neighbor driving my pickup,” explained Marty. We were getting some bedding mix for the green houses. You want to follow me or do you have a ride, Marty asked Al?

Al didn't answer, he just climbed into the passenger seat of the dump truck.

On the way to Marty's, Al asked a million questions and Marty just figured it was because the old man had been alone so long. Marty asked Al if he wanted to stop and take a look at his new home or go on with Marty and eat supper.

“A real sit down at the table and eat supper,” Asked Al incredulously?

fastback08 Great story thank you.
    Wayne

You would be surprised at the number of kids who come here to visit my grandchildren who do not sit down to eat with their families each night. One girl asked if we ate fancy like this every day. It was just a plain old dinner with food in serving dishes. We prayed, passed the dishes and got busy eating. Kids cleared up and washed up dishes. Fancy my foot! Too many kids---and older folks, too, it seems---are starved for family times like these.

Chapter 29

After introductions, Martha and June busied themselves in the kitchen, while Caleb, Marty, and Ron unloaded the fertilizer in the pole barn.

“You know a rubber tired fork lift would make short work of that,” said Al. “I have just the thing at the yard, next trip over we will bring it out here.”

“I made a promise to Martha and June, that I would take them shopping tomorrow to get some clothes for the kids, but if Ron is willing, maybe you and him can get started on bringing some of your things out to your place. I'm sure you have some personal items you want to bring,” Marty explained. “Mr. Smith,” asked Marty? “It is really none of my business and you are under no obligation to answer me, but just what have you been surviving on, I didn't see any gardens or livestock at your place,” asked Marty.

“Son," began Al, "I am what you would call a prepper. I have seen this coming for a long time and my late wife and I began buying long term storage food back in '99. I made sure we had a good clean water source, and the basement of the office is a bomb shelter. We were not sure what was going to happen, but we were sure something was. Now you can't prepare for everything, but some things are universal. You will always need water and food, and a good sound shelter is important as well, so we started there and added things as we thought of them.”

“Well, I don't know about preppers, but Martha and I have always tried to keep a good pantry, and the storm shelter under our place has slowly evolved into a sort or bomb shelter, hiding place, whatever you want to call it.” said Marty, “We could never understand people spending their hard on money on toys and junk, when their own future wasn't secured.”

“You men ready to eat,” called Martha from the back porch. “June, help me get the leaf for the table, with Mr. Smith and the kids, I'm not sure we will have enough room for everyone.”

“Let the kids eat at another table,” suggested June, “We did when we were small.”

“Those kids need to feel like they are a part of the family, they have been on their own for who knows how long. We will make room for them at the table, or you and Ron can eat at another table,” said Martha.

“I see your point,” June agreed, “We will make it work.”

They all got settled and Marty took his place at the head of the table and they all held hands and Marty said a blessing over the meal. When everyone raised their heads, Marty was not the only one to notice that Al was wiping a tear from his eye.

Thank you, Al is not alone anymore .

awe! thank you! very good chapter! It ended all too soon

Chapter 30

After they finished eating and Martha and June were cleaning up the kitchen, Marty asked Al if he could talk to him outside for a minute. The two men went out on the front porch and had a seat in the waiting rocking chairs.

“Mr. Smith, is there something wrong, is there something troubling you,” asked Marty?

“Marty, “ Al began, “That is the first time I have sat down at a table with other people in over a year. I couldn't help but be reminded of how my life was with my wife before this plague hit the country. We always made sure that we were all together for supper. I have lost so much, my wife, my kids are dead, and I have spent many restless hours wondering why I was spared, when so many lost their lives. I am not proud of it Marty, but there have been times that I thought about joining them. In fact, if you had not walked through my gate when you did, I would probably be with them now.”

“Mr. Smith, I cannot imagine your pain, Martha and I never had any children and my only brother survived and June, is Martha's only living relative, so we feel really blessed. I want you to consider us as your family, and those two kids in there, they need a family too. We found them at the truck stop living off scraps. Their parents are dead and the little boy was charged with taking care of his sister. If you can, try to think of them as family too.”

“Y’all are good people, Marty.” Al said.

“Let's go see if Martha has the coffee and cake ready,” said Marty.

The next morning was a flurry of activity as they got ready to go shopping. Ron and Al had already left with truck and a trailer.

“I reckon it wouldn't be right of me to keep calling you Boy,” said Marty, “Hows about you tell us your name,” Marty asked the young boy.

“My name is Robert,” offered the little boy, “but everyone called me Bobby, and Sissy's real name is Janet, be we always called her Sissy, cause she was my sister. She will answer to either one, what do we call you.”

Marty thought a minute and said, “well, you can call me whatever you're comfortable with. My name is Marty Jenkins, but you can call me Marty, or Mr. Jenkins, or Uncle Marty, or whatever you like. Just don't be disrespectful.”

“Same here and with all the adults,” echoed Martha, “ just pick out a name you like and we will be OK with it.”

“Let me think on it a bit,” said Bobby, trying to sound a little more grown up.

They pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot and were not surprised to see a couple of their neighbors outside the mega store. “Morning,” said Marty, “how y'all doing?”

“We are doing fair to middlin', I reckon,” answered the neighbor. “We just came by to see if we could find a few things. Who are the little ones?”

“Kin folk of Martha and June,” said Marty, not wanting to answer a bunch of questions. “We thought we could pick them up some clothes and maybe some toys and such.”

After the pleasantries had been exchanged, the extended family entered the darkened store. “Good thing you thought to bring flashlights,” said Martha.

“Its kind of amazing how much we take a simple thing like lights for granted. People just flip the switch and expect it to be there,” Marty lamented.

Martha pulled out the list with everyone's sizes and wants and grabbing a cart, she headed down the aisles, just like she always had. June had taken a cart a was quickly filling a cart with work clothes for Ron. When they met up at the shoe aisle, Martha had the children sit on a bench and put on clean socks and they started trying on boots and shoes.

“Might as well get a few pair in larger sizes as well,” said Marty, “children's feet grow faster than weeds in a corn field. Same thing for clothes, I reckon. Might as well get all we can. What we can't use we will barter to those that can.”

“Marty went to the sporting goods section and got all the ammo he could get that fit guns they had and he picked up a scope and rings and a new Ruger 10/22 for Bobby, and one that Sissy could have when she got a little older” “ I'm going to plunder around in the back a little, call me n the radio if you need me and keep your eyes open.”

Marty couldn't believe how much ammunition and how many guns were in storage at the back of the store. “As hard as this ammo has been to find, and the store had pallets of it in the back,” Marty said to himself. “I wonder if they were told not to sell it or they were holding it until the prices went up.”
    Last edited by fastback08; 03-22-2014 at 02:27 PM.

fastback08 Thanks for the chapter.
    Wayne

Thanks for the new chapter, and those weapons and ammo could come in handy

My Wally has lifted their 3 box only buy except for 22 so perhaps they have started to get more in. I sure hope so.

Thank you...this story is just awesome !! So glad they got to Al in time.

As always thank you.

I can't help to think that in the real world that gangs would move into stores and make you use something they want for trade from the store. Just a thought.
    Deemy

This is Fastback's world, I don't mind a story where things are tough even with great cooperation among the survivors.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit! Please keep the chapters coming!

While there are no doubt people with ill intent about, Marty and June, live in a very rural area of South Central Mississippi. This area has never been known for a lot of gang activity even before the plague took such a large toll on the population. There is trouble in their future, and they may or may not all make it, but my intent was to show, that maybe people could survive without encountering bikers, and zombies, and rouge ex military gangs on a weekly basis. Both of our heroes, Marty and June are in their sixties, and surviving to them means something different than it may mean to someone else. They are trying to resume as normal a lifestyle as possible, and help feed the remaining people around them. Thanks for the ideas and the feedback. Like I said at the beginning, this is the first time I have tried something like this and the response has been more than I could have hoped for.

Rick

I haven't been posting very often, but wanted to let you know, fastback, that I love your story. It's nice to read a SHTF story without all the violence and zombies. However, I'm sure that once TSHTF, there will be violence and bad people galore. It still is nice to read a story NOW without all that stuff and to read one that teaches some stuff, too.

Keep the great story going!
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Chapter 31

Martha and June were picking through the kids clothing section and were getting clothes that would fit the kids now as well as several sizes larger. June told Martha she was going over to the men's section and look for some clothes for Ron and Al. Both men had give her their sizes and needs list before they left the farm. Marty found a pallet jack in the pack and was moving ammo and guns to the door leading to the back loading dock. He then went and found a tarp and covered the pile, hoping it would be there when they returned with a trailer. Suddenly Marty's radio sparked to life.

“We've got some company coming Marty,” said Martha. “Looks like we weren't the only ones thinking of coming here.”

“I'll be right there,” Marty replied. He slipped his rifle off his shoulder and set out for the front door.

“Figured you would be the one to come up here and hog all the good stuff for you and yours,” said Tony Tilman. Tony was a known trouble maker.

“If you will think back, Tony, I was the one that wanted to share everything equally, you were the one ranting about everyone for themselves,” Marty was quick to point out.

“Well it just ain't fair,” said Tony, “You have vehicles and we have to come in a horse cart. Maybe you ought to just let us have the truck.” Tony made a step toward Marty and slowly slid in a hand in his pocket.

“You better be reaching for a lighter, because if your hand comes out of that pocket with a gun, it will be the last time you ever reach for anything,” Marty said.

“Now hold on,” said Tony back pedaling a little. “I have a right to carry a gun same as you.”

“And I have a right to protect me and my family,” replied Marty. If you want some gasoline or need a battery, use your damn head. It is all around us. If you need a vehicle, or parts, find some.”

“All my gas has gone bad,” lamented Tony, looking for sympathy.

“Come by my place when you get done here and bring some gas cans, they are on aisle fourteen.”
    and with that, Marty called June and Martha on the radio and told them it was time to leave.

Al and Ron, were on there way back from Al's equipment yard, and they had a brand new Toolcat and all the attachments loaded on a trailer. Ron was driving a truck with a new twenty foot trailer and fell in behind Al with the Toolcat.

Al slowed and motioned for Ron to pull alongside. “Let's stop at the tractor dealers and put that new trailer to some good use. We should be able to get a tractor and some attachments to help out with the planting.”

Always those that cant think for themselves but what the fruits of others labor.

Now that was dumb!!! Now he will know what they have.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

fastback08 Thanks for the chapter it seems that there is always someone who doesn't think they are getting there fare share and and are entitled to the same as those that actuality work to better there lives.
    Wayne

Chapter 32

By the time Tony Tilman arrived at Marty's farm, Marty had moved a small tank on skids close the the front gate.

“How many gallons you want,” asked Marty. I figure about one dollar in silver per gallon should cover it, or we can maybe trade for some of the things you picked up at the store.”

“What the hell you talking about,” Tony asked, becoming slightly irate.

“Mr. Tilman, first of all, you need to keep a civil tongue in your head, secondly, if you will think back to the meeting, I was the only one that said things that were salvaged from the area should be equally divided among the people living here. It was you, Mr. Tilman, that insisted that anything salvaged belonged to the finder to do with as he saw fit. Now that it is time to pay for something I salvaged, you want to renege on your deal. I think maybe you need to ease on down the road, maybe you will find some or maybe you won't, either way, I don't give a damn.”

“You'll pay for this Jenkins, you think you are so smart, hogging everything for your self, you'll see, I'll be back, and I won't be alone,” shouted Tilman.

“We'll be here,” taunted Marty. “If I was you, I'd bring a lunch, cause this ain't gonna be a cakewalk.”

Marty turned and started for the house when he heard two things. The cocking of a revolver behind him, and a rifle shot from the house in front of him. He turned around just in time to see a red mist drifting in the breeze and Tony looking at him with a puzzled look on his face just before he fell. Marty walked over to the body and kicked the still cocked revolver away from Tony's reach and then he checked for a pulse he knew he wouldn't find.

“He down,” called Martha from the porch?

“Yep, I never figured him to shoot someone in the back. See if you can raise Johnson on the radio, we need to let him know what is going on.”

Ron drove up pulling the trailer with a new tractor and several implements. When he saw the body covered in a sheet, he jumped out of the truck and ran over to Marty.

“You OK,” asked Ron.

“Yep, thanks to Martha. I had just told him to hit the road and started walking back to the house, I heard his revolver cocking and Martha, bless her heart, must have been watching from the house. He was dead before he hit the ground. I reckon I will go and tell his wife and see what she wants to do with the body. This kind of thing is going to get worse before it gets better, Ron,” said Marty as he headed for the garage to get his truck.

Glad Martha is a good shot

Well he found out they had at least one bullet

That's a good one, Mr. Bill.

Sure hope Mrs. Tilman is of a different cut of cloth than her husband. Wonder if they had children to consider? Always have to think of the children.....

Chapter 33

Marty knocked on the door of the ramshackle house, not knowing exactly what he was going to say.

“Who is it,” came the reply to the knock.

“Mrs. Tilman, its Marty Jenkins, I need to talk to you please,” Marty said nervously.

“Its open, come on in,” said Tony's wife.

“Mrs. Tilman, I would rather talk out here on the porch, if its all the same to you,” said Marty.

Tony's wife opened the door and Marty's eye was instantly drawn to the mouse under her eye, the result of one of Tony's rages. “There is really no other way to say this, Mrs. Tilman, but Tony drew on me and as a result he is dead. I am so sorry it came to this, but I really had no choice.”

Tony's wife slumped against the door frame and looking Marty straight in the eye, she said, “I am surprised it didn't come sooner. He has beat me since the day we got together. At first I stayed with him because I loved him, then later I stayed because I was afraid of him, and after the sickness came, I stayed because I had no where else to go. You have done me a favor,” she said.

“Ma'am, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me. I know I can't bring Tony back, but I can help out until you get on your feet,” offered Marty.

“In case you haven't noticed, there is no getting back on your feet anymore,” said Barbara. “The businesses are all closed and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.”

“How are you fixed for food,” Marty asked.

“I got about three days worth of food, maybe more if I stretch it. You don't owe me anything Mr. Jenkins, like I said you really did me a favor.”

“Mrs. Tilman, I may have a solution to your problem. It wouldn't be charity and you would be well taken care of. Let me talk to someone and I will come back and let you know in a day or so. Be thinking about a move, and if it works out, I think both parties will be better off. I have your wagon and horse at my farm, and there is a load of things Tony got over at the Walmart. What would you like me do with it and where do you want Tony's body delivered. If you do not have a plan, we could bury him in the church cemetary or wherever you say. We will be glad to handle the burial.”

“I guess the church would be the best place. I will try to find some of the church people and get it okayed and let you know tomorrow if that is all right with you, whatever is on the wagon will be OK until we decide what to do with Tony, it would be nice if you took care of the horse for a day or two,” said Barbara.

“I will see you tomorrow then and by all means let me know if you need anything in the meantime,” said Marty.

Marty returned home and told Martha that it went as well as it could have and to prepare for a funeral at the church cemetary, hopefully tomorrow. “I'm going to go over to Al's and talk to him for a minute and make sure he is getting settled in.”

Al and Ron were placing the last of his personal items in the house and had carefully moved the prior owners belongings out to one of the out buildings. “how's it going,” asked Marty.

“Well, we got all my personal stuff moved and some of the equipment. Plenty more to do, I reckon,” said Al.

“I got a proposition for you, Al,” Marty began, “I'm sure Ron told you all about what happened yesterday and I spoke to the widow this morning. It is a sad case, Al, she has no where to go and no family and she is about out of food. She has had a bad time of it, her husband was an abuser and she is a little distrustful of men. How about if you let her move into one of the spare bedrooms here. It would be company for both of you, and she could help out with the cooking and housekeeping while you were busy working with us on the farms. Normally, I wouldn't ask, but these are special circumstances and I think it would be for the best for both of you. No, pressure, but I told her I would let her know something in the morning, Think on it and let me know ASAP and remember, it is your decision.”

Good plan on the matchup

That is a kindness and you have handled it in a very sensitive manner. Good going.

I am really enjoying this story. Very down-to-home folks and a good story line. Thank you.

Yep good idea.

Sounds like a plan to me

Wow, this is a really good story. Don't know how I've managed to miss it before now. Thank you, and keep it coming!
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.