Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story After the End
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: After the End

Sounds like things are getting in motion now. Thanks for the updates.

fastback08 thank for the new chapters, great story.
    Wayne

Thank you. Claymore. Might add it some foot poppers with shot gun shells over a nail.

And of course there is the ever popular LP / other gas through a sprinkling system with igniters.

Roses, blackberry and other thorny shrubs to fence and guide people into kill zones.

Molitov's are a good friend and you can put all but the gas into the bottle. While soap will work I suggest packing the bottles with styrofoam peanuts. Just add gas and igniter.

Ah love defense. A good map of your place and immediate surrounds in large scale is helpful also with pre designated locations so only those on radio know what your talking about.

Thank You, and sorry for your loss.

D.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Chapter 19

Frank and his Dad were finishing the sprinkler systems for the house, barn and out buildings and had gotten them all plumbed into the standby water system, when Janet called them into eat. Frank eagerly explained how the water would be pumped up to the roof and could extinguish a fire before it got started. The metal roof was fairly fire resistant and the water would be routed so that it would coat the exterior walls as it was running down the roof. “Won't that use all our drinking water,” asked Janet?

We can switch to the pond water at any time and the solar pumps should pull enough water to do the job,” said John.

The two men finished their meal in silence, both more tired than they wanted to admit. John was used to hard work, but his age was telling on him. Frank was more of a novice to the long hours of manual labor, but he was catching up and had lost his spare tire and put on some hard muscle.

“I think we are about as ready as we are going to get,” said John, pushing back from the table, “there are a couple of things we can add, like some flame throwers at strategic places, but they are more of a psychological weapon than and actual deterrent. It's up to you, they would be easy to build.”

“Dad, you know I have no idea whether they would be effective or not, I do know most people have a fear of fire. It may be worth doing,” said Frank.

“Son,” John began, “Is Janet on board with all the defensive measures?”

“Not at first, Dad,” said Frank, “but after we talked it out and I explained that it could become a case of our family starving or being murdered for what we have, she vowed she would do whatever it took, to keep Tommy and Sarah, safe. I'm really proud of the way she has come around.”

“I'm beat, boy,” said John, “I will see you tomorrow.”

Frank and Janet sat down in front of the TV to catch up on the news. What they heard was disheartening to say the least. People were panic buying and store shelves were emptying faster than they could be restocked, all on the news that the grain crops from the Midwest would likely be non existent for the foreseeable future. The government was assuring people that there were plenty of reserves and that no one would go hungry, but like so many government promises in the past, these were likely empty too. Some of the larger metropolitan areas were experiencing full scale riots as the police were called in to quell the crowds that were stripping the grocery stores. “I really hope they can contain that in the cities,” said Frank, “but it is likely that when all is gone there they will spill into our area.”

“Do you think we will have trouble here,” asked Janet, “I know we have talked about it, but I was really hoping we would be spared.”

“We should be good for a little while,” said Frank, suddenly stopping in mid sentence, “Look,” was all he could get out.”

The screen was filled with a picture of the El Hierro Island's Volcano. The talking head was relaying that the volcano was showing signs of an impending eruption. “This could be very bad,” said Frank.

“But that's so far away, how could it impact us,” asked Janet. The prevailing winds will take the ash the other way.”

“The problem is, the atmosphere is already filled with ash from Yellowstone and this could be just as big, plus I have always heard it this volcano goes, the entire island or a large part of it could fall into the ocean causing a tsunami that devastate the Eastern seaboard and possibly inundate the entire Florida peninsula. It would be catastrophic,” said Frank excitedly.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

My good friend, Shelby Foote

Thanks.

D.
    Dosadi

III

CLiff, but very happy for the chapter

Thanks for another chapter to your excellent story fastback08.
    Wayne

I must apologize again. I went back to my doctor with my leg, (no improvement), and a doppler revealed a deep vein thrombosis. I am now in the hospital with a heparin drip running. I will continue the story, but it may be a few days.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    "Southern Gentlemen are not always Gentlemen by nature. They are 'Exposed' to proper behavior and manners early in life, and are smart enough to remember, and to refine them, through a constant practice".

Will add you to our prayers. Take care of yourself.

Fastback08, Prayers said for a full and speedy recovery.

fastback08, my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery for you.
    Wayne

Glad you went back.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, fastback. Get that fixed so we can hear you are back up and going again.

Love your story!

A little update. The CT showed my lungs were clear and the only clots are in my leg. Treatment will begin Monday. I will try to post up something later tonight. Thanks for the good wishes and prayers.

Rick

Wonderful news! We'll keep the prayers going. Not to worry about the story... we'll all still be here... waiting...

Chapter 20

The low IQ voters were coming to realize the government they elected to feed them was not going to be able to do that and the whole “just in time” marketing/stocking scheme was going to lead to empty shelves sooner rather than later. It didn't take long for the powder keg the country was turning into to meet the spark that was the hungry and displaced. Rioting soon became common in most of the areas that had been the most affected by the volcano. The talking heads kept repeating the mantra that everything was going to be OK and the government was taking care of everyone and that no one was going hungry. It all sounded good, but when you are looking into the eyes of your hungry children, it is hard to believe the propaganda. It would only be a matter of time before the riots and the evacuees made their way further South.

“Sweetheart, if you can think of anything we haven't done to get ready, I think we may have a week before it all goes downhill,” Frank told his wife, “I have a large order from ammo man that the tracking number indicates will be here tomorrow.”

“I tried to order some more LTS foods, but they are not taking any orders. They said the government had told them to cease all shipments,” said Janet, “the lady actually confided to me that she thinks they are going to seize their inventory. She said some of the trucks were being loaded and the products were being moved to a secure off site location. Can the government do that, Frank”?

“As long as the government controls the military, they can pretty much do as they damn well please,” said Frank, “they have tried their best to disarm everyone so they could have their way. The only way to stop them at this point is by watering the tree of Liberty.”

“Tree of Liberty,” asked Janet?

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants,” quoted Frank, “It is a quote from Thomas Jefferson, What is wrong with this country now cannot be fixed at the ballot box. Things will necessarily have to get a lot worse before they get better. The entitled class has made their intentions clear. They will not work and they will not contribute in a meaningful way to the good the country. After all these years of being dependent on the taxpayers for their well being, they are not going to give it up without a fight. The way I see it, The government will do everything it its power to stop the patriot movement dead in its tracks in order to appease the ones that keep them in office. It is going to be us against the entitled and the government. The good news is the entitled have very little stomach or training for an actual fight and for the most part they are ill armed. The bad news is the government doesn't know when to quit. I hope there are enough right thinking people in the military to know what is right and to do it when the time comes.”

“You are scaring me just a little, Frank,” said Janet, the fear evident in her voice, “are you sure it will come to that?”

“I am sure this country will never recover from this disaster with the current administration in office,” said Frank, “and I am sorry if I am scaring you, but to be forewarned is to be prepared.”

Thanks for the new chapters.
    Sorry for you loss.

Thanks for the chapter, you are right it will never get better as it stands now.
    Wayne

Chapter 21

It was scarcely a week later that a young woman carrying a small child showed up at the gate. She rang the intercom buzzer and stood there waiting for a reply.

“There is nothing for you here,” came Frank's voice from the intercom, “Move along or I will let the dogs out.”

“Please,” the woman pleaded, “Not for me, for my baby. We haven't eaten in days and I can no longer feed her.”

“I will not tell you again, move along, or the dogs will be let out. Take this as your last warning,” said Frank, as forcefully as he could. He knew he would go out and feed her if this didn't work.

The young woman turned and started to walk down the street while Frank watched her on the hidden cameras. As soon as the woman thought she was out of sight she gave a little wave and two men stepped out from behind a neighbor's shed. He couldn't hear their conversation, but Frank was certain what was about to happen. Both men were carrying rifles and had sidearms at the hip.

“Take cover, now,” said Frank.

Janet did not hesitate, she grabbed Tommy and Sara and moved them into the secure basement, locking them in and securing and hiding the entrance behind them. She picked up her rifle and went to the rear of the house as they had pre planned. Janet knew her area of responsibility and she was determined that no one would sneak past her.

“Two men, both armed,” shouted Frank. “It looks like they are going to try and attack from both sides at once. Be ready.”

“Ready at the rear,” came Janet's reply. “I have one in sight, should I fire first or wait.”

“Let's see if they try to gain entry first, if they make an attempt to get in the house or any of the outbuildings, fire.”

Janet knew there would be no warning shot, she had steeled her resolve and was determined to do what had to be done. She would prevail and help protect her home and family.

Frank watched as the man in the front of the house tried to find an easy entry into the house. Seeing none, he shouted out, “Hello the house, all we want is some food and we will be on our way. Nobody has to get hurt.”

“Leave or be killed,” said Frank, “There will be no further warning.”

“You sure you got the stomach for it,” the man shouted, “We are coming in and there is nothing you can do about it.”

The man started in a run for the front door with the intention of breaking it down. Frank's rifle barked twice and two holes suddenly appeared center of mass on the man's chest. Scant seconds later, Janet's rifle removed the threat from the back of the house. The woman who had been with them fell to her knees and prostrated herself in the road in front of the house.

“Thank God,” the woman shouted, “Shoot them again, please.”

Frank went out the front door and approached the woman with his rifle slung across his back and his pistol in his hand. “One move and you will be joining them, do you understand?”

“Yes, I won't move and I have no weapons, those bastards have held me prisoner for the last week, forcing me to lure people out of their house and then forcing me to pleasure them,” the woman said between sobs.

“Slowly get up and keep both hands where I can see them. I will not hesitate to shoot you,” said Frank.
    The woman rolled onto her back and sat up and slowly with outstretched arms got off the pavement. Frank saw that the baby that had been wrapped in the blanket was nothing but a doll.

Frank got behind the woman and noticed as he got closer, that she was a lot younger than he had first guessed. She looked to be about sixteen.

“Walk toward the door, stop when I say stop, and keep your hands out to the side. My wife will search you when we get to the door. If you are lying about a weapon or if you make a move toward my wife, you will die, understand?”

“Yes sir, I promise I don't have anything on me. They would have never let me have a weapon,” said the girl.

Janet came out the front door with her nine millimeter trained on the young girl. She holstered her pistol and began patting the girl down for a weapon. The fact that the girl had not been eating well was immediately apparent to Janet as she felt the girl's ribs sticking out.

“What's your name,” asked Janet?

“Patricia Miller,” said the girl, “But most people call me Pat or Patty.”

“Well put your arms down Patricia, come with me and let's get you cleaned up a little. Girl you are rank,” said Janet.

Frank searched the bodies and found ID on both of the men and took that and their weapons. There was also a small leather pouch with some jewelry and a few gold and silver coins the men had obviously stolen. He took their possession into the house and then he called his Dad to see what his next move should be.

I bet I can guess what his Dad will have to say.

Very good chapters thank you. Get well soon.

Thanks for the chapter fastback08.
    Wayne

Thanks for the chapter Enjoying it.
    Hoping to see moar soon.

SSS

Thank You

D

(or load em up and dump em down a sink hole to prevent the smell when they rot, or put them on the road as a warning to others, but don't be seen doing that.)
    Dosadi

III

Thank you for this story. I hope you're feeling better soon.

SSS if they are not locals. Locals may have someone looking for them. Check the address on the IDs and if dump them there if you can do it without being seen. Is Patty a local? They didn't have much stuff with them, where is their camp and is there anyone else there? Ask Patty.
    The difference between being smart and being wise:
    Being smart is learning from your own mistakes.
    Being wise is learning from the mistakes of others.
    My life has given others many opportunities to be wise.

Chapter 22

“Dad,” Frank spoke into the phone, “Glad I caught you at home, look I am having some trouble with the garden and I wanted to see if you could drop by, and if you don't mind, could you stop at the store and get Tommy a butterfinger,” said Frank, using the prearranged word for trouble.

“I was just heading out,” said Frank, “I can be there in about ten minutes.”

“Thanks, Dad.” I will leave everything alone until you get here. See you soon.”

Frank walked over to the closest neighbor's house and asked if they had seen the large dog. He told his neighbors that although he had shot at the dog, he was pretty sure he had missed it. He advised them to be on the lookout for a very large black dog that had tried to bite him in his own yard. Frank hoped that would explain the sound of gunshots.

“Well, Miss Patricia,” said Janet, “why don't us girls have a little talk and you tell me everything about yourself, and I really need to believe you. Whether you lie or not will determine what we do with you.”

“Theres not much to tell really,” Patricia began, “I lived in Morton, with my family and one day those two men came to our door and said they wanted to work in exchange for a meal. I didn't like the way they were looking at me, and I told Pa, that I didn't trust them. He just said it was hard times and it was our Christian duty to help when we could. Pa, took them out to the barn and told them if they would muck out the barn, we would let them clean up and feed them and even give them a little food to travel with, but as soon as they were in the barn, one of them hit Pa in the head with a shovel and killed him. Then they came in the house and drug Ma out to the barn and killed her. I tried to run, but they caught me and after they had their fill of food, they turned their attention to me,” said Patricia breaking down in tears.

“Oh,my,” said Janet, “didn't your family keep guns in the house?”

“Oh no,” said Patricia, shaking her head, 'Pa said that guns were evil and they had no place in a Christian home.”

“That's ridiculous,” said Janet, “We're Christians and we have guns. A gun is only a tool, evil lies in the intent of the person holding a gun. Guns are an inanimate object, no better or worse than than the user.”

“I know that, now,” said Patricia, “but it's too late to save my family.

Frank opened the gate and let his Dad in. John was pulling a trailer with his large tractor and backhoe loaded on it. He drove on behind the house and parked.

“What's going on,” asked John?

Frank told him the whole story and then asked his Dad what he should do.

“Son, there are a number of things we can do, we could call the sheriff and dump it all in his lap, but I think that may bring undue attention to you, we could just load the bodies and move them somewhere and dump them and let someone else find them later, but I really hate loose ends. If it were my problem, I would bury them deep and covered in lime. We can take down the fence and bury them on the unsold parcel of land next to yours. No one would ever know but us, and there would be no loose ends to trip us up later.”

“Let's do it, then,” said Frank, “I will go get some lime, and be right back.”\

“I brought it with me, son,” said Frank, go take the fence down and I will be along with the bodies as soon as I load them in the bucket.”

Wonderful to have a chapter, thank you .

good work

thank you

D.
    Dosadi

III

fastback08 Thanks for the new chapter looking forward to more soon.
    Wayne

Thanks! Hope the treatment is going well. Continuing to pray for you.

Yep, I thought so.

Chapter 23

“While the men are busy outside, let's see if we can find you some clothes to wear,” said Janet, “I'm sure I have something that will fit reasonably well.”

“I have some clothes,” said Patricia, “when we left my house, they let me gather some things to bring with me. They are in the truck we left at the edge of town.”

“When Frank and his Dad finish, we will drive out and get your things. We need to move the truck as well. Do you know where the truck came from,” asked Janet?

“No Ma'am, they had it when they picked me up. It is an old truck, but it ran real good. It is four wheel drive I think,” answered Patricia.

Janet gave Patricia some clothes to put on and as soon as she was dressed, Frank and John, came into the house.

“I am glad thats done,” said Frank, “Dad's tractor made it a quick and relatively easy job. Maybe I should look into getting a larger tractor.”

“We'll talk about that later,” said Janet, mindful of the money they had been spending, “right now, we have to see about the truck those fellows were in and get the rest of Patricia's things.”

“Son, if you don't need me for anything else, I am going to leave,” said John, “I will check out some tractors for you. You need to check with the bank about the abandoned property next to you. They may be willing to let it go cheap due to the fact that no one has any money.”

Frank and Patricia left to go check out the truck and it was exactly where Patricia said it would be. It was a Ford F250 diesel and it was indeed four wheel drive. There was a camper top on the back and it appeared to be filled to capacity.

“You stay here, and keep your hands on the dashboard where I can see them,” said Frank, not completely trusting the girl yet, “I am going to check it out.”

Frank eased his ten millimeter from the holster and concealing it along his side, he approached the truck trying to get a peek inside. He drew himself up to his full height and looked into the covered bed. He was right, it was full but he had no idea what was in it. He crept around to just behind the driver's window and made a quick move to look inside. It was empty. He motioned for Patricia to join him and she did.

“Can you drive this truck,” he asked, “We need to get it off the road.”

“No Sir,” she replied, “I can only drive an automatic.”

She showed him where they hid the keys and Frank told her he would drive the truck home and she was to follow him in his truck.

“One move out of the way and I will shoot, do you understand,” said Frank.

“OK, but I need to follow you. Please signal in advance when you are going to turn,” said Patricia, not wanting to get shot at.

“Let's move out,” said Frank.

The ride back was without incident and Frank pulled the truck into the barn. Patricia joined him giving him the keys to his truck. Frank unlocked the camper top and Patricia reached in and got two small overnight bags. Frank satisfied himself that there were no weapons in the bags and handed them back to Patricia.

“Let's go eat,” said Frank, “So far your story is holding up. Do you have any relatives you need to contact?”

“No Sir,” she said sadly, “Ma and Pa and me were the whole family.”

Thank you, I was hoping for a chapter .

Thanks for the chapter, great story.
    Wayne

I hope no surprises come from the mistreatment of Patty. She is too young. Thank you.

Chapter 24

The truck was a treasure trove of stolen goods and food. There were bags of money, small leather bags filled with gold coins and others filled with silver coins. There were bags filled with jewelry. Frank couldn't believe his eyes.

“Patrica, do you know where all this came from,”asked Frank?

He hoped he could return it to the rightful owners.

“No Sir,” she answered, “I didn't know what was in there. They never let me in the back of the truck. All we have gotten since I have been with them is food and a little paper money from the people they took it from.”

“Did they leave anyone alive after they robbed them?”

“No Sir,” said Patricia, “They were real careful about making sure everyone was dead when they left.”

As they started unloading the ill gotten goods, Frank discovered a false bottom in the pickup bed. It was filled with ammunition and guns. Mostly military type weapons but some hunting rifles as well. There was one very large case and when it was opened, Frank was looking a a Barrett M82-A1. A fifty caliber rifle and over five hundred rounds of ammunition. Hurriedly, Frank moved as much as he could into the house and Janet started moving it to the basement. Patricia helped move the heavy cases of ammunition. After counting and totaling up the paper money, Frank was shocked to find there was over three hundred and fifty thousand dollars, mostly in one hundred dollar wrappers. He would total the gold and silver in pounds later, but he knew he was looking at a very valuable haul.

Frank was face with a hard decision. If he turned the money and precious metals and jewelry over to the authourities, he would have to tell the whole story. If he kept the goods, he didn't know if he could live with himself. This was going to take a family conference, and what of Patricia, didn't she deserve something for the way she had nbeen treated?

“Janet, call Mom and Dad and see if they are up for a little company. We need to discuss this with them,” said Frank.

Frank and Janet loaded up the kids and Patricia and drove over to John's farm. John met them at the gate and closed it behind them.

“Well, what did you find,” asked John?

“Dad, along with a few of Patricia's things, we found a lot of stolen goods,” said Frank, “ and I honestly don't know how we should handle it. I guess, it could be considered spoils of battle, but I know these things were stolen, and I would like to see them returned to the rightful owner. Problem is, Patricia said they made certain the owners were dead.”

“That is a conundrum,” said John, “you can't turn it into the authorities without raising a lot of questions, yet you feel like you should give it back.”

“That's it in a nutshell,” said Frank, “What would you do?”

“I don't see you being able to find the rightful owners or their kin, since we don't know when or where it was taken from. Patricia may be able to help some, but a lot of this had to have been taken before they kidnapped Patricia. If it were me, I would keep the guns and hardware, and spend as much of the cash as I could on things that will have the potential to help others,” said John. “You could buy the property next to you and increase the amount of land you have to farm. Raising more food for the area is a sure way to help.”

“I see,” said Frank, “I will go to the bank in the morning and get the details on the property. Maybe we can get a large enough operation going we can move in a couple of families to help out with the farming in exchange for a place to stay.”

While the family was discussing what to do, unnoticed in the background, the television was broadcasting and alert. El Hierro had erupted and there was a Tsunami warning for the entire East coast.

Oh wow they best get their rears in gear, thank you

Thanks

D.
    Dosadi

III

They just keep getting hammered!

I hope Patricia works out to be the good girl she seems like now. She'll have some issues, though, after such trauma.