Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Story Introductions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

10 Introductions

Coming Soon !!

(1)

The discovery of another blue icon, other than Magnus, on the tactical display had been a bit of a surprise for Lizzy but she had always been curious about the other Cerulean Knights and insisted on investigating.

After all, the circumstances surrounding her own encounter with an exotic blue sportscar couldn’t have been anything more than an unconnected chain of events, right? No one could have predicted where or when the engine in her old car would fail or that she would be driving through a small town that just happened to have a certain used car lot when it happened, either.

Was that strange little used car salesman knowledgeable about the necessary qualities for a pilot or was he just trying to unload a car that nobody else wanted.

Did TVS already know what qualities an ideal pilot for a Cerulean Knight should possess? Were her own experiences coincidental or not? These were only a few of the questions Lizzy would like answers for as she walked towards the location of the unknown machine.

Although Magnus had been vague when they had discussed the actual pilot selection process from a Cerulean Knight’s point of view, he saw no reason why Lizzy should not be able to satisfy her curiosity within certain restrictions. Magnus was adamant, however that Lizzy must promise never to reveal her true status as a pilot or to interfere with the pilot selection process in any way.

Touching the tiny TVS issue communicator behind her ear that was hidden by her hair, Lizzy subvocalized, “Magnus? Are we still clear? There’s nothing else on tactical?”

“Tactical is clear, my lady.”

“I don’t see the other Knight. What’s my range?”

“L2CSY8 is three hundred and ten feet due east from your current position sitting stationary on a driveway next to a small white house with grey shutters.”
    Last edited by FMJ; 12-01-2017 at 07:28 AM.

“Magnus, how do you already know this Knight’s designation?”

“This Cerulean Knight became aware of our presence at the instant we discovered it on tactical. Coincidentally, when you used a TVS communicator, it became aware of your identity and position.”

“Okay, but there shouldn’t be any danger, right?”

“None, unless L2CSY8 should perceive you as a threat to itself or the candidate.”

“Candidate? Don’t you just mean the pilot?”

“No, my lady. This candidate is, as yet, unknown. This candidate is not yet aware of the Strax threat and knows nothing of the advanced capabilities of the Cerulean Knight he drives.”

“Nothing? I don’t understand, I thought the...um, candidate was selected solely with the intention of becoming a pilot and was only then given the opportunity to purchase the Knight, right? TVS must have known that the candidate had the right qualities before they extended that opportunity, didn’t they?

“No, my lady, they did not. Sadly, in many cases, the candidate may prove to be unfit or unable, for some reason, to accept the responsibilities of the pilot’s rank. The Cerulean Knight, in those cases does not reveal itself and becomes just another vehicle, dutifully taking on the responsibilities of an ordinary, albeit futuristic machine.”

“Magnus, I had no idea. There is a real possibility then, that this Knight will never have a pilot. That the owner will never know the exhilaration of battle in the combat restraint or the feel of high speed?”

“My lady, not all are destined for greatness. The exhilaration of battle in the combat restraint you speak of with such glowing terms has cost pilot’s their lives and their sanity. You, my lady, are a savage exception to the norm.”

“Gee, what a sweet talker. Thanks, I think. Oh, I’m here at the house now.”

Glad to see the continuing of the story

Thanks, FMJ. Glad to see this continuing!

Yay! Lizzy and Magnus are back!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I'm happy! Thank you.
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Thanks RMJ....

Texican....

Lizzy walked slowly down the sidewalk in front of a small nondescript white house with grey shutters. A neatly trimmed Japanese privet hedge next to the driveway all but concealed the exotic blue machine from view until she could very nearly touch it.
    Lizzy stood motionless, mesmerized by the sight of another Cerulean Knight until she suddenly realized the driveway was wet with soapsuds.

Lizzy caught her breath in wonder as water droplets on the crystalline blue surface of the machine reflected the bright sunlight into thousands of miniature coruscating rainbows. A young man perhaps eighteen years old, clad only in faded blue jeans, walked out the side door of the house carrying several drying towels. His sun-bleached blonde hair still wet as he selected a thick towel from the stack and began to vigorously rub the surface of the glistening wet machine. So focused was he on his task that he failed to notice the pretty blonde girl watching him from the sidewalk for several moments.

“Oh, hi! I’m sorry, I didn’t see you standing there. Have we met? My name’s Rob Lawson but everybody calls me Bobby. I was just hurrying to dry my car so it doesn’t water spot. Darn hard water, anyway.”

“Hi, I’m Lizzy Temple,” the embarrassed girl chuckled as she took a hesitant step forward. “I’ve never seen a car like this before.”

“Oh really, never?”, Magnus asked over her communicator with what sounded suspiciously like a snicker.

“Such a beautiful color, too,” Lizzy added ignoring the distraction of the snide commentary in her ear.

“I know, isn’t it intense? I just got it recently and I keep finding cool new options I’ve never even heard of before. There wasn’t an owner’s manual and almost no information about the manufacturer or model on the bill of sale so it’s been kind of like a treasure hunt.”

“I can imagine,” Lizzy said under her breath.

“Pardon?” Bobby inquired.

“Oh, I said, imagine that,” Lizzy replied guiltily remembering her promise.

“For sure. Hey, are you from around here? This is a small town and I don’t remember seeing you before,” Bobby inquired leaning on top of the vibrant blue machine.

“No, actually, I’m not. I’ve been traveling and visiting family north of here and I’ll only be here for the day. I have an interview with a manufacturing company for a job tomorrow,” Lizzy explained testing the elasticity of the truth while watching the muscular young man dry the machine.

She again regretting her promise of non-interference as well as her selection of jean short-shorts and a lacy off-shoulder top.

Technically, TVS was a manufacturing company of sorts, but she was already a paid ‘operator’ and her ‘interview’ at the TVS depot next week was actually for reloading exotic rounds in Magnus’ railgun magazines, but those were only minor details.

“Aw, that’s too bad. I’d love to take you out to lunch and give you a ride in my new car if you had the time,” Bobby offered.

A very feminine voice with a distinct French accent spoke in Lizzy’s ear that startled her to the point she almost stumbled,

“L2CSvy8, greets you. You are zee Capitaine Temple, of zee Battle of Warm Springs, no? I am honored to make your acquaintance. M2GNS8 speaks highly of you, but he does drone on so. I can tell that you approve of my pilot candidate but you must understand, he is mine and mine alone, Capitaine Temple.”

Lizzy stopped short covering her mouth and turning to face the street to muffle an attack of the giggles that would have been entirely inappropriate after Bobby had just invited her out for a lunch date. She hoped that he interpreted her lack of response as simple indecision because the truth was just not currently an alternative.

After a few seconds to regain her composure, Lizzy was finally able to turn back around to reply, “Bobby, that’s real generous of you and even though a ride in that car is a tempting offer, I’d better not because I need to prepare for my interview tomorrow. You mind if I take a raincheck? It was nice meeting you, though and congratulations on your new car. Bye, bye.”

“My lady, I must protest! Do you believe that I drone on? I have never considered the concise specification of an intellectual process to be droning.”

Lizzy stumbled again but this time she elected to fake a coughing fit to cover the giggles.

yes FMJ, very good

This could get interesting,a jealous car. Thank you!
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Cool

Thank you so very much!
    Love the story and characters.
    Sis

(2)

Lizzy passed the time deep in thought about the number of Cerulean Knights with no pilots as Magnus cruised the interstate that night monitoring the tactical display closely for Strax activity.

“You know Magnus, you could have warned me or at least given me a heads-up about L2CSY8 being female. I was so surprised when that sultry voice purred right in my ear, I almost fell down.”

“My lady, I was taken completely unaware by that development as well. The meta-data transfer between Cerulean Knights occurs outside the personality matrix in a twelfth-order AI. L2CSY8 must have already determined that Robert Lawson would respond favorably to a Cerulean Knight with a feminine persona and adopted it complete with an accent.”

“She seemed to be very possessive,” Lizzy muttered into the hand that propped up her chin on the armrest.

“My lady, it is unreasonable to feel that you are in competition with L2CSY8 for the affections of pilot candidate Robert Lawson. I believe that the hint of jealousy I detect is unwarranted.”

“What? Me, jealous? Ha! I’m not jealous at all! Why should I be jealous of that uppity, mouthy French…, oh, good Lord, Magnus, I am so jealous right now and I fully realize how ridiculous that must sound.”

“My lady needs a distraction to cleanse the conflicted thoughts from her mind?”

“Do I ever,” Lizzy replied in a dejected, disappointed growl.

“If my lady would enter the combat restraint, I will prepare a fitting reception for that distraction. Six red icons of a single Strax pod have just appeared on tactical moving in close formation at speed and approaching our position from the south.”

“Yes!” Lizzy cried as she spun to sit straight and the silver bands of the combat restraint extended from the sides of the pilot’s chair to enfold her in its warm embrace. The shield protectively enclosed her head and lit up on the inside with a myriad of screens and data streams that fed her information about power levels, weapon systems status and target closure rates.
    Lizzy and Magnus were, once again, the human/Cerulean Knight interface that could actively counter the Strax threat.

“My lady, by your command.”

“Magnus, I’ll be the first to admit I may have some serious aggression issues I need to work on, but please, no frontal assaults tonight. Let’s just go kill something!” Lizzy growled.

“Agreed. We will leave the roadway and power down to avoid detection where we can observe the Strax pod passing before we join the attack.”

“My thoughts almost exactly,” Lizzy agreed.

“Almost?” Magnus inquired.

“Well, I thought we could lob a couple of railgun rounds into the pod as they go by to soften them up a little before we get close and personal. Never mind, it’s just my aggression talking. Your method is way better.”

“With my lady’s permission, by covert observation, I sought to gain firsthand tactical knowledge of Strax pod tracker detection capabilities. I am also switching your TVS communicator to internal to complete our electronic silence.”

Thank you.

Taking the closest opportunity to leave the road, Magnus quickly took cover behind the hulk an ancient tracked dragline left to rust behind an equipment shed before he powered down his fusion engine. In less than a minute, Lizzy saw the six jet-black machines race by on the road beyond.

“Alright Magnus, now let’s power up and go show some Strax why they picked the wrong planet to conquer.”

“My lady, by your ….,” Magnus began but stopped suddenly in an uncharacteristic lapse. “A moment, my lady...,”

“Magus! What is it? What’s wrong?” Lizzy cried out, alarmed to remember a similar incident before the ambush at Warm Springs when Magnus paused to monitor suspicious electronic telemetry.

“My lady, three more red icons have appeared on tactical approaching from the south. They are moving quite slowly in a loose diamond formation, but their cross-sectional areas and larger apparent mass do not match Strax pod profiles.”

“Just three though, huh?” Lizzy asked curiously.

“Yes and that is unusual. I believe we should remain here powered down to observe.”

“Your railgun magazines are down to 35% too, big guy. If we have to fight something big, we should have full magazines on board, standard as well as exotic rounds,” Lizzy said thoughtfully.

“But for now, we should watch and wait.”

A minute crawled by in the dark silent cabin where they crouched behind rusting construction equipment, then another. Just as Lizzy was about to whisper a nervous question to Magnus, the ground began to vibrate under them with a rumble that gradually increased in intensity till it could be heard as well as felt.

The infrasonic roar continued to increase in power until the first of the three huge machines abruptly came into view followed closely by the others. Lizzy caught glimpses of sleek black superstructures topped by turrets with massive triangular railguns. As the machines passed their hiding place behind the equipment shed, the vibration quickly decreased.

“Magnus! What were those things? They were as big as tractor trailer rigs, maybe bigger! Were those Strax machines?” whispered Lizzy hoarsely in the darkness.

“Your pardon, my lady. I am encrypting a situation report for TVS. Those were indeed Strax machines, but judging from the seismic energy we felt here when they passed, they must each weigh more than two hundred tons making them a new heavy assault class. This is a very dangerous development and I must upload the data to TVS even though the Strax are not yet safely out of range. I believe we have accidentally witnessed the deployment of the next generation of Strax assault weapons. I fear the real fireworks, as you once called them, are about to start.”

“But what happens if they detect your upload to TVS, Magnus?”

“I will wait until we are separated from the assault group by at least eight miles. Effectively over the horizon, they should be unable to depress the firing solution angle of their weapons sufficiently to hit us.”

“Wait, you think they could actually hit us from eight miles away!” Lizzy gasped.

“Yes, my lady, were it not for the curvature of the Earth, almost certainly. We would be challenged to survive, let alone escape if we were targeted by that class of weapon.”

Stunned by Magnus’ blunt tactical description of the sheer power of the huge Strax weapons, Lizzy sank into the pilot’s chair in silence unused to this strange feeling of vulnerability that threatened her.

Magnus ran a tentative low power sensory sweep before bringing the fusion engine back online. Once all the sensory and tactical resources were up and indicated no threats other than the Strax assault group that continued to move steadily away, Magnus left the safety of concealment and returned to the roadway. As they accelerated away at high speed, Magnus established an urgent priority data link and uploaded the encrypted file describing visual contact with a new class of Strax machines to TVS.

very good .....tops....great....keep up the great work

Ho boy, the new weapons mean that Lizzy and Magnus will be light armor up against heavy armor...Not a good situation.

Thank you.

(3)

As the relentless sun settled on the western horizon and the temperature slowly fell, Bobby decided it was time to take his beautiful new freshly waxed ride out for its first cruise.

“It’s really too bad Lizzy didn’t have time to go for a ride today,” Bobby thought out loud. “Maybe it was just my imagination, but she seemed to be preoccupied, like there was a lot more on her mind than just a job interview.”

As Bobby maneuvered the exotic blue sports car carefully through the familiar streets toward the main road, he marveled at how smooth and stable the car felt negotiating turns. He was amazed at the suspension’s ability to make the roughest road feel smooth.

From the main road at the edge of town, Bobby took the onramp to the interstate before rolling on the power and the car surged forward with an eagerness that made Bobby laugh out loud. Merging into the interstate, Bobby found an empty highway leading toward the central high plains desert at sunset.

“Well gorgeous, let’s just see what you can do,” Bobby said as he abruptly pushed the accelerator fully to the floor. The car shot forward like a missile and the screaming whine of advanced electric traction motors produced unfamiliar g-forces that pushed Bobby deep into the pilot’s chair with a continuous sustained acceleration that showed no indication of a plateau or a top end.

Bobby glanced away from the road to see the digital speed readout pass two hundred and twenty-five miles per hour before he jerked his foot off the accelerator in astonishment and let the machine coast.

“Good golly in the morning, you have got to be the fastest, most beautiful machine in the world and I think I’m in love!” Bobby said with a wide grin as the machine smoothly decelerated.

“Okay, given that it was a running start, but it couldn’t have been wide open for more than eight or ten seconds, maybe less, and I was at two twenty-five! That right there is fast! Scary fast! Did I buy somebody’s prototype race car by accident? There is just no way this is a production model! How did I ever luck out like this?”

As Bobby continued to happily congratulate himself on the purchase of his dream machine, he heard a soft chime from somewhere within the console. The instrument panel went unexpectedly dark and Bobby was perplexed when it displayed two words in capital letters that scrolled continuously across the display, “EVASIVE MANEUVERS”.

The wheel suddenly jerked to one side and the machine unexpectedly took the shoulder braking to a sudden stop with a spray of gravel.

“Oh no, no, no! Did I hit something? What’s wrong? What happened?” Bobby groaned in dismay. But when he tried to open the door to inspect the front end for the suspected damage, the door latch refused to work.

An uneasy dread in the pit of Bobby’s stomach slowly replaced the exhilaration he felt only moments ago as he realized that none of the controls were responding to his touch. As the two words continued to scroll across the display, “EVASIVE MANEUVERS”, the machine lurched forward as Bobby tried frantically to brake or turn it without success.

The machine accelerated quickly on the shoulder and smoothly turned into a gravel drive that descended from the interstate to an open gate in the right-of-way fence.

Bobby’s face was locked in a fearful grimace while his right leg and shoulders cramped from the effort of the continuous attempt to apply the brake and turn the wheel.
    When the headlights unexpectedly shut off, Bobby doubled his efforts despite the machine accelerating rapidly on the two-track gravel drive in near total darkness.

Both of Bobby’s feet were planted solidly on the brake as he rigidly clung to the wheel in a state of primal fear gritting his teeth and waiting for the grinding crash and his certain death.

But the machine braked hard spinning to face the direction from which they had come before backing slowly through the open door of an old quonset hut style aircraft hangar and coming to a complete stop. Bobby’s labored breathing was now the only sound that could be heard over the sudden silence within the machine.

Two unfamiliar words scrolled once across the dash display, “RUNNING SILENT”, before the display went completely dark and the door latch operated quietly to open the driver’s door with a quiet hiss of escaping air.

He is about to be initiated into Lizzy's world...Hope he can handle it. Thank you.

Thank you FMJ for more of your story.

Wayne

Pausing to eye the open door only momentarily, Bobby scrambled out on hands and knees to stand and back away from the strange machine warily.

When there was no response and the machine remained dark and silent, Bobby circled it slowly twice, his hands on his hips in thought and confusion. Realizing the machine had maneuvered carefully throughout the entire ordeal so as not to hit anything, Bobby had no other choice but to suspect that it was operating in a collision avoidance mode or maybe under remote control.

When his second circle ended at the open driver’s door, Bobby sat down cross-legged on the floor next to the exotic machine with his chin in his hand.

“But why here and why tonight?” Bobby asked. “Alright beautiful, it’s time to tell me what happened here and exactly why we had to perform evasive maneuvers and run silent,” Bobby asked aloud more in the effort to soothe his frazzled nerves than the expectation of receiving an explanation.

He turned in surprise as a loud, high-pitched piercing whine was heard through the open door of the old hangar as several extremely fast vehicles passed on the interstate in a tight group.

Rising quickly and walking to stand by the edge of the hangar door in the darkness, he peered into the distance listening to the fading sound of the engines.

”Now what in the world was all that about?” he said to himself. “I wonder if that had anything to do with those evasive maneuvers. As loud as they were though, they must have been really moving to be out of earshot so quickly and if they’re gone, why then, are we still running silent?”

As if in answer, a loose piece of glass from a shattered windowpane fell to the floor with a crash and a forgotten tool inexplicably rolled off the old work bench to land on the concrete floor with a clang. The hair on the back of Bobby’s neck stood on end as a deep vibration set various objects in the hangar in motion and streamers of dust sifted down from old shelves. The rumble became an intense bass note that quickly increased in intensity till the infrasonic roar drove him to his knees, his hands ineffectually covering his ears.

From that position, Bobby saw the first huge machine pass on the interstate quickly followed by two others silhouetted against the night sky.

He is going to need his car to let him in on a few things or he will think he is loosing his mind...Well, if that wouldn't push him over the edge permenantly.

Thank you

The massive turrets and weapons on each of the huge machines were visible even at that distance. Despite his apprehension, the open door of the exotic blue sportscar behind him looked positively inviting compared to the frightening sonic assault on his senses coming through the open hangar door. Making his decision, Bobby turned and ran, diving into the open door and quickly pulling it shut behind him where it closed without a sound.

In the sudden silence, crouched within the dark machine, Bobby felt strangely secure and protected from the danger outside. With his eyes closed there in the darkened silence, he felt hidden and safe in a way that was hard to describe and he whispered to the machine, “Thank you.”

When a soft chime sounded within the console, Bobby looked up in astonishment to see a single line of script scrolling slowly across the display.

“I WILL NEVER ALLOW YOU TO COME TO HARM ROBERT LAWSON.”

“What? How is this even possible? How do you know my name?”

“MY DESIGNATION IS L2CSY8. I AM A TWELFTH ORDER ARTIFICIAL INTELLECT HOUSED IN A FIGHTING MACHINE OF THE CLASS KNOWN AS A CERULEAN KNIGHT,” scrolled across the display in apparent answer.

“I can’t believe it, that is, I mean no disrespect but what you just said is incredible!” Bobby stuttered in disbelief.

“MAY I SPEAK AUDIBLY, ROBERT LAWSON?”

“You can speak!? Yes! Yes, of course. Please speak audibly,” Bobby breathlessly agreed.

“I believe introductions are in order, Roberto Lawson,” purred a throaty female voice with a French accent from within the machine causing Bobby’s eyes to widen in surprise.

“Whoa! You’re a girl! A French girl! I am in love!” Bobby laughed out loud. But wait, you said you had a…, what was it again…, a designation? Is that your name?”

“Yes, my designation is L2CSvy8, Roberto Lawson,” purred that incredible voice again that made Bobby feel suddenly too warm.

“A beautiful French girl needs a real name, not just numbers and letters. Can I call you, Lacy? Just between us?” Bobby asked sincerely.

“I would be honored to be designated as Lacy, Roberto Lawson,” purred the machine.

“Please, Lacy, can you just call me, Bobby?”

“Yes, Bobby, I will if you would prefer it.”

The machine’s sultry response made an involuntary shiver course down Bobby’s spine, but he attempted to continue. “Okay, Lacy. I…um…, I think I get it that you knew those things were coming straight at us on the road and you also knew they were dangerous, but I don’t know how you knew. So then you took over and drove…um, on auto?”

“Yes Bobby, full autonomous operation. Under certain specifically defined sets of circumstances involving safety protocols, I may assume control. In this instance, your life was in danger and I will not allow you to come to harm.”

“Wow. You know, Lacy, this is a whole lot for me to take in all at once. I’ve got questions that I can’t even put into words yet. As far as I know, there has never been a car with a full AI on the road before and I just recently read where scientists thought a fifth order AI was only a theoretical possibility and you say you’re a twelfth order. Where did you come from, Lacy? You said before that you’re housed in a fighting machine called a Cerulean Knight? What is a fighting machine anyway and what were those machines that shook the ground up on the interstate?” Bobby asked inquisitively.

“Bobby, I will answer all of your questions, but first I need to know something about you..., well, about us, actually.”

“Sure, Lacy. I mean…, I guess you’ve already saved my butt once tonight already, so I owe you one anyway. What do you want to know?”

You are doing a great job! I am patiently waiting for another chapter! Keep it up!!!!

I don't know john70, after these two installments I don't know if I can be patient.

Thank you FMJ!

Thank you FMJ looking forward to more soon.

Wayne

“I have already said I will protect you and not allow you to come to harm, but I need to know that you feel the same way about…, me. Will you protect me from harm, Bobby? Are we a team, a…, pair?”

“Lacy, I promise that I will do everything I possibly can to protect you from harm. You meant a great deal to me before I knew you were…, well, before I knew you were you, and you mean so much more to me now that I know you are..., aware. Yes, Lacy, I do want us to be a team and I am pleased that you want us to be a pair.”

“Do you trust me, Bobby?” the sultry voice purred again.

“Lacy, I know this may sound silly, but I have never felt so safe and secure as I do when I am close to you. When I ran to you from that horrible sound and climbed back inside and shut the door, I felt…, shielded, protected. So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, yes, I do trust you.”

“Bobby, if you trust me and we are a pair, would you like to become my pilot? Before you answer, know that it is a great responsibility and a very important designation.”

“Lacy, I would be honored to be designated as your pilot,” Bobby stated without hesitation.

“Welcome Pilot Lawson, please face forward in the pilot’s chair and do not be afraid. I must enclose you in my combat restraint to properly explain our situation using the tactical interface within the shield. Are you ready?”

“Yes, Lacy.”

Bobby’s eyes widened in surprise as thin silver bands extended slowly from the sides of the pilot’s chair to enclose his torso, arms and legs while slowly tightening to pull him deeply into the soft padded leather seat. Lacy kept up a running commentary describing the necessity of the combat restraint should she be required to accelerate, brake or execute hard maneuvers that might otherwise throw the pilot against the interior of the cabin.

“Are you comfortable, my lord?” the advanced machine purred with a throaty laugh.

“Yes, Lacy,” Bobby repeated although the first doubts crept into his mind about the great deal he was given on a beautiful exotic sports car.

“Next is the shield containing the visual interface, so you will be able to see what I see. Are you ready, my lord?”

“Show me everything, Lacy. I’m..., ready,” Bobby replied as another shiver coursed down his spine in anticipation.

“My pilot is very brave. My lord, by your command.”

The silver shield slowly extended from the headrest to enclose Bobby’s head lighting up on the inside with a myriad of tactical threat assessment reports, weapons status screens, fusion engine and propulsion status graphs as well as the condition indicators for life support.

“Whoa, a fusion engine? A railgun? Life support? You have got to be kidding me!” Bobby exclaimed excitedly.

Bobby was amazed at the quantity of information that was instantly available as he scanned screen after screen within the shield, but finally settled on the combination of the wraparound external view screen with enhanced night vision and a tactical overlay. Lacy was impressed that her new pilot had intuitively selected the overview mode known to yield the greatest tactical advantage despite having no prior battlefield experience.

Bobby was surprised to see the designation, “Pilot Lawson & L2CSY8” prominently displayed in the top left-hand corner of the display.

“Lacy, is that our official designation, Pilot Lawson and L2CSY8?”

“Externally, yes, but our internal designations can be of our own choosing, my lord.”

While Bobby watched, the unit designation blanked and changed to “Bobby & Lacy” and the output of the fusion engine ramped up with a corresponding rise in voltage and current draw in the traction section of propulsion.
    Leaving the cover of the old aircraft hangar, they quickly reached the gravel drive leading back up to the interstate. After determining that no threats remained on tactical, they cruised back toward the relative safety of the small town and the house with grey shutters.

“I still have a matter of significant importance I must discuss with you, Bobby.”

“Lacy, after what we’ve both been through already tonight, what could possibly be of greater importance than going back home, getting something to eat and crawling into the sack?”

“Your pardon, my lord. But we must discuss the imminent invasion of Earth by the Strax…”

“Wait..., the invasion of who by what?!!”

Bobby and Lacy took the long way home.

Thank you FMJ, sounds like Bobby is in love.

Always glad to find a new chapter in this on-going story. Thanks

WOW!!! Thank You FMJ for more of your fantastic story.

Wayne

(4)

The Sergeant strode into the office and snapped to a salute as he handed a red data card to the man behind the desk, “Sitrep received from TVS with visual confirmation of another heavy assault group, Sir.”

“Yes. Continue to monitor the incoming reports. That explains the low speed of the four units we currently have on tactical, but I am expecting at least one more due to their fondness for the number six. That will be all, Sergeant.”

The officer seated in front of the desk rose and crossed the room to study the large tactical screen on the wall, “If they continue to converge, they’ll form up in an arc, and your number six will be right here,” she said tapping a spot in the northern range on the display.

“Yes Colonel, I agree, but other than this facility, there is no target at the focus of that arc. This facility was originally a bombing range and a nuclear test site, so it is quite secure. If they attempt to enter our restricted areas, we will respond quickly and decisively. They appear to be simply re-positioning assets harmlessly the same way they did last July after the Tonopah fireworks display.”

“Possibly, but it wasn’t heavy assault weapons platforms they were moving around last July,” the Colonel insisted. “Until we determine the capability of these new heavy assault class weapons, we can’t afford to make that assumption.”

“Colonel, with all due respect...,” began the man behind the desk.

“Mike, just listen to me for a minute, this is serious. Look, we go way back, and I know you’re big on rules and regulations, but our military is not what it once was."

“Colonel Temple..., Jennifer,” the man replied rubbing the bridge of his nose. “No offence, but you know there is an armored division in reserve here at Nellis. I believe we possess the capability to respond to whatever threat your, Strax, represent without additional TVS involvement.”

“Mike, do you have any idea how dangerous the Strax really are? They are threatening the human race itself,” Jennifer stated flatly as she turned to face the man.
    Last edited by FMJ; 12-15-2017 at 04:51 PM.

“Yes, and TVS is conveniently able to provide us with just enough evidence to prove that they aren’t a similar threat as well,” he countered. “Honestly, Jennifer, your TVS involvement makes your judgment suspect at this point.”

“You can’t be serious! We’ve shown you their bases in Death Valley! We’ve provided you with our tactical displays to let you study their movements and we’ve told you about their goals,” Jennifer stated incredulously.

“Their goals? You’re referring to that ridiculous story about using some special hydrogen in sea water? Yes, we heard it, but you can’t honestly expect us to believe that, can you? Jennifer, everyone knows that sea water isn’t fuel; it’s just water with salt in it.”

Jennifer gaped for a moment before she replied, “You know what, Mike? You’re absolutely right. I was out of line asking you to simply accept that story at face value. TVS has obviously underestimated the security an armored division provides this facility. You obviously don’t need TVS meddling in your affairs any longer. I thank you for your time,” Jennifer said emotionlessly as she turned to leave.

“Always a pleasure, Colonel. You’ll pardon me if I have the Sergeant see you out this time?” the Major asked as he stood to wave the junior officer into the room. “We’re a little busy this morning solving real problems.”

“Of course,” Colonel Temple replied casually. “Goodbye, Mike.”

Colonel Temple cursed as she briskly walked through the maze of the administration building corridors escorted by the young officer. The refusal to acknowledge the Strax threat was a deadly mistake for any commanding officer to make, but Mike’s attempt to disregard confirmed intelligence and humiliate her despite known facts was infuriating. She knew her report would not be well received when it reached the TVS command structure.