Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

End of the Season
+ Reply to Thread

End of the Season

[this is one of a series of short stories that came out all in a rush earlier this year. i'll post a total of four (unrelated) for your pleasure and feedback.]

End of the Season

I could see the tears of frustration and anger in their eyes as they left the court, and I wondered what magical words I would come up with that could take away the sting of losing the state championship match this afternoon.

It had been a long and rough season. Not quite perfect, but even the losses had been hard fought to the end. The girls had state tournament on their minds all year.

With a couple of illnesses and some minor injuries, the entire team had pulled together and stepped up to the challenge. In some of their games they had played way over their heads, drawing from reserves they didn't even know they had. And they were enjoying it, which was even better.

Then came tournament time. I believed I had the girls as ready as they'd ever be. They were all in good health, all playing at the top of their form, each and every one ready for the grueling matches. Because, make no mistake about it, only the best from all over the state would be here, and we had to be the best to win it all.

So here we are, second place in the state. The other team was good, no doubt, they have a reputation and they lived up to every minute of it.

But I had to talk to the team now, and platitudes of 'it's not whether you win or lose,' and 'you're all still champs to me' was not going to cut it. They needed something more.

I gave the girls a few minutes, then I knocked on the locker room door.

"Coach coming in!" I called, and walked into the quietest room I've been in since the last funeral I'd attended.

Most of the girls were sitting on the benches, eyes downcast, some of them crying, most just miserable and not knowing what to do with it.

I cleared my throat and began to speak.

"I want to make a specific distinction here, because I don't want you to misunderstand."

I paused until I had their full attention.

"I'm disappointed we didn't win state today, but I'm not disappointed in you. I am proud of each and every one of you."

I could see looks of skepticism showing on some of girls' faces.

"I mean it. You all were in there for the whole match. Just like during some of our tougher games this season, you didn't roll over and play dead when you got behind. And you know how important that is to winning."

"I'm proud to say that I could still see in your eyes, even when we were down two games with only a couple of points left in the final game, that you were still wanting to come back and win it all. I'm proud of you."

All of the girls were looking at me now, but more were crying.

"When it got tough, you hung in there, you played your hearts out, you never quit. You were outplayed this afternoon, but you weren't outfought. You did good."

I gave them a minute to collect themselves.

"Okay. Now take a quick shower, and put your game faces on for the family and friends who're waiting to see you outside."

I had one more trick to pull - falling back on a cheer we used for ourselves.

"And who are we?"

"The Lady Braves" came the half-hearted response from most of them.

"Louder!" I commanded.

"The Lady Braves!" came back stronger this time.

"I can't hear you!!" I yelled.

"The Lady Braves!!" they yelled right back at me, now grinning.

I turned and left the locker room.

Sometimes this job has its rewards.

All enjoyable stories Cowardly Lion. Thanks for posting them.

I was a bit surprised when I got here to see all these posts from you! LOL.

Thought we had our next troll

For many years I read The Reader's Digest and also I must have 300-400 hard back science fiction books made up of short stories.

Plus I have several of the OLD sci-fi mags from the 50s, 60s thru the 80s. Most of them are short stories.

I've enjoyed them all. I think it takes a lot of talent to write short and make every word count.

Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Tim