Harold's Winning Pitch
(a child's story about the continued adventures of Harold and Martha, an elderly couple) By Maiden

"Let's go, Harold," said Martha. "The big sale is beginning at the shopping mall. I want to get there early before everything is picked over."

"Just like a woman," Harold smiled at this lovely bride of 45 years. Today was the first day of the huge Memorial Day weekend sale going on at all the main stores at Countryside Shopping Mall. Harold tied his shoes and spoke out, "I'm ready. Let's get the car started and be on our way."

Countryside Mall was very crowded in deed that day. So many people wanted to take advantage of the great discounts on items they needed. Others just were just browsing for anything that might strike their fancy.

"I have an idea," said Martha. "Lets go to the Sport Palace and find a baseball and catcher's mitt for Tony." Tony was one of their grandsons who had a birthday coming up soon. "You come up with the best ideas, Dear Heart," replied Harold and off they sauntered to the Sport Palace sporting goods store.

"Would you look at all the games and equipment they have here!" marveled Martha. Yes, the Sport Palace carried everything from ping pong and golf balls to jet skis and bicycles. Why, they even had moped cycles, too. Harold was enjoying looking at the golf clubs when Martha reminded him why they had come there.

Soon they reached the baseball department with bats, balls and mitts of all kinds. Tony had been with his grandparent to that store before and had pointed to his favorite ball and mitt. Harold's mind began to wander remembering the days that he pitched in so many games. His aim was perfect every time.

As Harold daydreamed about the good old days and tossed a baseball up and down with one hand a frightening sight caught his eye. Martha saw it at about the same time. There was a man with a knife held to a child's side walking the child to the exit of the store! No doubt this man was kidnapping the little girl and threatened to hurt her if she made a sound.

Harold thought quickly. He remembered his "right on target" fast ball, aimed for the hand carrying the knife and threw with all he had. The ball hit the hand right were Harold had aimed and the man dropped the knife. By that time Martha had gotten closer to the man with her pepper spray in her hand and sprayed the man right in his eyes. Very painful! The man screamed. At that point, the security guard realized all that was going on and came quickly to cuff the would be kidnapper.

"Karen! Karen!" came shouts from a couple looking for their child. Karen turned around and yelled, "Mommy! Daddy! Over here!" When her parents reached her and were about to scold her for wandering off, the security guard spoke up and told her how Harold and Martha had saved Karen's life!
Mr. and Mrs. Cooper were so grateful they wanted desperately to repay Harold and Martha for their deed.

The elderly couple said it was their pleasure and duty to save the child and they simply could not accept anything. They told Mr. and Mrs. Cooper to just be grateful that the child's Angels were with her and saved her from a terrible fate. The young couple thanked Harold and Martha and went on their way.

Martha picked out the ball and mitt that Tony had wanted. Before too long, both were ready to go to the check out counter and pay for their items. The clerk rang up the items, Harold paid for them and the clerk handed Harold something extra. "You see," explained the clerk, "Mr. and Mrs. Cooper saw you looking at these golf clubs earlier. They bought them for you and instructed me to give them to you as you checked out at the counter."

My oh my! Harold had always wanted those fancy golf clubs. He knew it would hurt the Cooper's feelings if he did not accept them. Harold looked at Martha. She smiled and nodded her head yes. Of course neither of them had expected any reward but what could they do but graciously accept the gift and put it to good use.

The next day at the Riverbrook Golf and Country Club, Martha accompanied Harold as he practiced with his brand new clubs at the driving range. Following the ball with his eyes, he spotted a familiar sight in the distance. There was Mr. and Mrs. Cooper and their daughter Karen. All eyes met one another. Harold smiled and waved one of his new golf clubs in the air. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper smiled and waved back. Karen waved and blew a very big kiss to Harold and Martha. How wonderful it was to she her with her parents. The elderly couple hugged each other and felt so grateful that they were able to help Karen to be with her parents on that day ... and every day after that.

The End