Just what I needed! For the last couple days the have been funny noises coming from our van. We had just had the serpentine belt replaced. So I figured that the noise might be belt noise. I took a listening rod and checked all the items on the Serpentine belt path. Nothing but normal "running" noise. Yesterday, I had the hood open and was looking at it, and had the DW start the engine. After a couple minutes, I notice a thin wisp of smoke coming out from under cover at the end of the front head of the engine, (transverse mounted). I tried taking the cover off, but the distributor would not let me remove the cover all the way, but I did see a pully with belt on it. Assume it is the drive for the cam shaft for the valve train on that head.

I put the cover back on and restarted the engine, A LOT of smoke came out from under the cover, and the engine stopped abruptly as if the cam bearing froze.

Anyone here ever change a cam bearing? I assume I'll need to replace that cam shaft. Probably also the timing belt, and the water pump, ( it is dripping ).

Open for suggestions....