Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Problem with New Toyota!!!
+ Reply to Thread

Problem with New Toyota!!!

Okay, so last year we had gas at nearly $5.00 a gallon and I drove a Ford Expedition.

So, I go and buy a 2009 Toyota Matrix, which I loved for the first several months. Then the engine starts to knock like crazy after the first oil change, done at dealership.

I take it in when the check engine light goes on, they test it as a cam or timing gear problem but do nothing but reset the computer - no repair.

Then it starts knocking again, I take it in while its knocking and mechanic hears it, they drive it for 5 days and can't get it to reproduce noise and they do nothing but have me come pick it up.

Then I have my foot surgery and on my return to work (on crutches) it starts the knocking and check engine malfunction light comes on.

They say computer says timing gear again. This time they fix by replacing timing gear AND oil consumption valve.

Should I keep this car or will it be a lemon - what with less than 6,000.00 miles on it and engine staring to need such replacements.

Hell, my Ford Expedition at 5 years old and 90,000 miles hasn't needed anything but oil changes, brake and tires replaced.

And they say Toyota are great cars.

I probably should have put on main for more to read, but I will try here for time being.

First off, make sure you have saved all of the repair and "non-repair" orders.

The variable valve timing system can stick, and it sounds like that may have been your problem...replacement of the cam gear & oil control valve should resolve the issue.

I would suggest driving the vehicle and see if the problem returns. Toyotas usually don't have many problems (especially that new) and it may just have been a fluke.

If it does return and the dealership can't/won't address the problem, contact the Toyota customer service rep and explain the situation (in a factual, non emotional manner) - see what they recommend to resolve the problem. Perhaps a swap for another vehicle??? Different companies have different policies, so YMMV.

HTH

For a point of comparison...My old beater '94 Toyota pickup is about ready to roll over 400,000 miles (Yes you read that right four. hundred. thousand. miles)
    I have changed oil and filter regularly, replaced timing chain at 250,000 and clutch at 280,000 miles. I would not hesitate to drive it across the country (US or Canada) tomorrow.
    Toyotas are pretty robust. If this doesn't straighten out I would have a chat with your dealer. First get his attention by pounding your fist on his desk.

Okay, thanks! I got the car back last night. They also replaced a gasket part of some sort.

DH said they should have changed the oil since they busted into the engine for repairs. I asked about this but service tech told me they did nothing to the oil, didn't add any oil (I asked). I was concerned the engine might have been shorted it's oil due to problem.

I really like the car, it's zippy and fun to drive. Service tech said I have plenty of warranty left and I shouldn't be concerned. I told him my concern is more along the line of reliability and freedom from repairs and that I didn't buy a new Toyota (with 5 years of payments) so I could have it in the shop for FREE repairs every other week.

I want to go across the desert plain and feel comfortable with the car not having breakdowns/leaving me stranded vs. looking forward to the next free repair and my new car in the shop for another week.

I think this car was made in Canada vs. the Toyota/GM plant that was shut down in California yesterday.

It almost sounds like you might need to find another dealer. I agree with your husband, oil should have been changed. Any time you get into the engine, you introduce junk. But then again, I also know that it's rarely done, even though it's a good practice.